This could NEVER happen to me!!!!

Kenneth Krieger

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yup......it happened to me! After giving "rides" from 0 to 160 on the main runway of Luke AFB after the Thunderbirds Air Show in April of 2007 (31 runs back to back to be exact!), the front rotors on my 94 RT10 were fried! I had new rotors (crossdrilled, and slotted) installed by a local shop that had done work for me in the past! I was called to let me know that the car was ready to be picked up, and that the tech was out for a "test run". While on my way to the shop, my cell phone rang, and one of the owners said, "Doc, I've got some bad news for you!" I thought, what, the car isn't finished? No, "we wrecked your car!" I thought he was kidding! He wasn't! The tech had driven onto the frontage road of I-17, north of Phoenix, and "hit it hard" from 1st to 2nd, and instead of going into 3rd, he went back into 1st, let the clutch out, and the back end came around. He lost control, went off the road over some boulders, 261ft into the desert, and hit a mesquite tree! Non one was hurt, but the car was TOTALLED!!!!! This car had everything possible done to it! Roe blower, NOS, water/**** injection, total custom interior, Kinesis 2 piece racing wheels, the list goes on and on! Just like that it was over! When he let out the clutch at full speed going back into 1st gear, the rev limiter doesn't function, and the engine over-reved and blew, along with the supercharger! Thank God no one was hurt!!Oil everywhere, and smoke coming out from the car as I'm driving up to the scene of the accident! My heart just dropped! This car was shown in car shows from California, to Tenn, and had won more than 50 1st place trophies, 3 Best of Show awards, and 1st place at the Spring Fling, Van Nuys, CA all Mopar show........it was a GREAT car!
I was "Viperless" for about a week and a friend in the AZ VCA called me and asked if I wanted to look at a 2005, Commemorative Edition convertable. It was "the car" and I bought it on the spot! Since then, Belanger headers and full exhaust (Lou is a personal friend of mine!!, thanks Lou, your the best in the business!!), a Paxton supercharger, 3:55 gears, and new PS2's! It's a GREAT car and obviously a kick to drive! Nothing could replace my first Viper, but this is really close! The Gen III's handle better, have the best brakes anywhere, and get just as many "looks and comments" as my Gen 1 (Yellow with black stripes) ever did. The car is built much better, and I feel MUCH safer in this car! I will send pics of the old car (wrecked) and updated pics of the new car when my camera comes back from the "shop"!
Yes, it can happen to you!!! Watch who you let TEST DRIVE your car! He didn't have a healthy respect for someone else's car, especially one with 700 RWHP.........but I have forgiven him, and let the past go......life is too short! He really is a great guy and is actually the one who installed the 3:55 gears in the new car for me! And, yes, he test drove the car after the gear install.......he won't do ANYTHING stupid now!

SnakeEye

Viper Owner
Reaction score
This may shed new light on the saying, 'all is well that ends well'. Enjoy your new paxtonized Gen3!:drive:

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
There have been so many posts on this site about totaled Vipers, its almost a cruel joke of sorts. It happens when non-owners drive them, valets, neighbor's kids, teenagers, friends, etc. It happens so often, that I am surprised that anyone still lets anyone else drive their Viper besides themselves. Its almost a "given" that its going to get wrecked.

Glad you found another great Viper to enjoy. Be careful out there!

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's the hard way of moving up to a gen III. Been there, done that.
Sorry to here about your 94 RT/10.

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sad to see another Gen1 go. :(

I might just have to get one before they're all gone.

We need to move you from Enthusiast to Owner!

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A good friend of mine told me to NEVER let anyone else drive your Viper unless he/she is also a Viper owner. Valets, parking lot attendants, friends, relatives, etc all included. Less than 1/10 of 1% of the population have EVER driven a 500 plus hp car, let alone some of the 700-900 modified Vipers out there, and our cars have no traction control, stability control, and most dont have ABS on them. NON Viper owners are NOT prepared for that.
Remember the first time you drove a Viper? For many of us it was exciting, but also a little scary....and most of us are sports car enthusiast w/ many years of sports car driving under our belts.

Very glad you got your Gen 3. Remember my friends advice, never ever let a non Viper owner drive your car....as you see what happened even when your experienced techs got a hold of your MONSTER! ENJOY YOUR SRT!!
My wife has never been on the driver side of my Viper!...(ooops, did I actually say that?)

DII

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Wow such a insane story. The Viper shifter has claimed many a victim. Sorry to hear yours fell under the knife.

Enjoy the new car!

RayC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Misshift aside, what a great way to test new brakes WOT thru 2nd gear and hope it stops? Sorry to hear your story and glad you are enjoying the new Gen III.

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OH man, so sorry to hear this story...happens so often, but to have the Viper totaled had to have been such a shocker--very sorry--glad no one was hurt...you had great times in your GenI bumblebee...sorry they had to end that way. Hope you will enjoy your new '05....we'd love to see pictures of both cars if you have them. As BlackMamba said too, never EVER let anyone drive your Viper--but here you had no knowledge anyone was...such a shame. TOTALLY enjoy your '05--we do. Our best~~~mike & juli