THOUGHTS AFTER 6 WEEKS OF OWNERSHIP

RonnieSRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am formerly RonnieC5, and have had my new 04 SRT10 for 6 weeks, and its my daily driver. After 5 Vettes, the last being an 02 Z06, (and I still love Vettes), I can honestly say that the Viper is the most awesome car that I have ever owned. The car out performs the Z06 in every catagory, and is easy to drive. And zero problems! I cannot tell you how happy I am to get a Viper over a C6 Vette ragtop. I visit the Corvette forum daily, and let me tell you, there is nothing but problems with the new C6. And, in my opinion, the C6, which I have seen and studied many times is butt ugly. My only complaint with the Viper is there is still a great deal of heat, even after swapping the 4 cats for 2 high flow metal cats. I plan to change to a corsa track exhaust system (if it is not too loud) and remove the crossover pipe, Hopefully, this will solve my heat problem. Nevertheless, the Viper is everything that I expected, and, even here in Los Angeles, the exclusivity cannot be equaled!

SRTJOE

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I know what you mean, I still am a chev guy but
When I drive my SRT-10 There just is no other car
like it. In short I am a VIPER guy Know!

:headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

JohnNad

Enthusiast
Reaction score
something needs to be done about the heat in this car. i think dc should have come up with this solution rather than make us go for aftermarket mods, to get rid of the heat your looking somewhere in the $5-$7k. other than that and the lousy stereo, the car is awesome.

VTen555

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I am formerly 03C5Z06 from the Z06 forum. I too recently swithced. I can't say my vehicle has been trouble free but I do love my 04 SRT. No comparison..... I wish I would have kept the Z06 as a daily driver in addition to buying the Viper.

MaxedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i hope Dodge does something about the heat. i still love this car too :2tu:
Welcome
Max

Tony (FL)

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm about to make my decision on buying a new 05 today, but all this talk about the heat is giving me second thoughts. I live in Florida where it's hot almost all year. Has anyone here that has bought a SRT-10 as a daily driver wish they wouldn't have because of the heat?

SoFlaSRT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Tony, I'm a South Florida SRT owner (hence the screen name), but I don't use it for daily driving. The heat is only a factor when the top is open. With the roof closed, the ac is very effective.

ViperInBlack

Enthusiast
Reaction score
After market exhaust purportedly lowers sill temp by >100F. I do not see the Viper as the ideal daily driver and, fortunately, never conceived that daily driving was its role when designed.

It is a perfect Sunday hotrod, and I would encourage you to buy the 2005 SRT. As indicated above, it is an entirely different driving experience than a Corvette although I have equated it with a 454 `vette I once own.

Beyond the thrill, there is the pride in ownership and the uniqueness of the vehicle.

Alice

ARMORGOD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tony,

BUY THE SRT!!!!

I too have owned my SRT for about six weeks now and I LOVE IT (used to own a ZO6). I have gone to headers, high flow cats, and cat-back exhaust (Belanger) and find the heat COMPLETELY TOLERABLE. Here's the deal, though: with the top up, the AC can freeze you out! It will keep you completely comfortable, no matter how hot/humid it is outside. With the modified exhaust, I don't get any heat coming from the foot well or elsewhere. With the top down, heat will come around and over the windshield, while you are driving. On a really hot day, it will make you question if you really want the top down that bad. When you park it and come back out after a half hour, or more, to drive again, the cabin will be pretty "heat soaked". Start her up, get the AC going, and it is comfortable in 30 seconds. Once again, no big deal.

Bottom line: the SRT is a real "guy's" car. Ya, it gets hot. Ya, it's loud (when you unplug the exhaust). Ya, it shakes at stop lights from the cam. But that is all part of the experience! IMHO, any real car guy will grin from ear to ear. If these characteristics of the car offend a perspective owner, then there are dozens of alternatives to the Viper that will offer good power and be fun to drive, and he/she should go with one of them. Cruising around in a Viper is almost more like riding a motorcycle, than driving a car. Those Harley owners at the stop light who look like their fillings are shaking loose from that pan-head engine. Do you think that that guy is thinking too himself "gee, I wish this thing rode more like a ***-bike." Hell no! He loves that his bike is so primal/visceral and wouldn't change it a bit. Same thing with the SRT - it's just more brutal than it's peers.

There is one other thing that has not been mentioned by any of the new owners, that I would like to add (because it has been the hardest thing about the Viper for me to get used to) and that is the amount of "celebrity" that comes with owning the car. The car has an unbeleivable effect on people! About a third of the time, when I come out of a store, there are people gathered around it. And if they are guys, I can 100% guarantee that they will want to see "that engine." People honk, wave, stare, yell, give the thumbs-up, hang out their windows... And I literally can't count the number of times I have had my picture taken by a camera-phone (twice by guys who stuck the camera-phone out their window as they were turning through an intersection, and I was sitting at the light!). And the females?!?!?! I makes me laugh how many turn into giggling, hair flipping, eye batting, piles of goo.

I love the SRT :2tu:

NOMERCY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have had mine for a few weeks now and have noticed no real heat issues. My only mods so far are a Corsa exaust and Green Filters. I too came from a Z06 ... a really nasty one :laugh: ... and will say that the SRT although slower :smirk: does have a more exotic flair and while almost bone stock has a similar feel to my highly modified Z06. It has no bells an whistles and is very raw, (my wife hates it ... that's a good thing), but there are times when I feel like being raw/bold and this car foots the bill. I would never consider this thing as a daily driver ... but for a weekend bad ass ... this car does the job!

Franko

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with NoMercy. I don't think the heat issue is nearly as bad as everybody says.

I sold my '02 Vette convert with heads/cam etc and while the Vette now seems like a Caddilac the Viper is just one mean & wild ride. I love it.

NoMercy, who's the lucky owner of your Z07?

Michael Hatch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Ronnie. I've had my 04 for 11 months now. Not a daily driver but I agree with many of the other guys that it's the best weekend car on the planet. I also agree with you that there is too much heat. I live in Tampa. I've talked to my local high end customizer., eliminate crossover etc. He and I have a plan to add 3" SS complete new system, headers, big cats etc. but we also will try to wrap the pipes in some special insulating tape. Especially along the sills. additionally thinking about a 180 thermostat and some coolant additive that supposedly lowers operating temps by 10 degrees. I'd be very interested to hear if anyone has input on these ideas. My motovation is twofold. one is heat reduction but the other is performance and more exhaust music.
Other mods planned:
new air filters but may have custom shroud made to get cool air in instead of just bolting on new ones and deleting the factory shroud like some upgrade houses offer. also thinking of going to a taller rear gear. Any input is very welcome.

Viper IV

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Heat was the first thing I addressed after buying my Viper. I did not remove the front cats but I did insullate the entire box section that surronds the front cats. I used the padded aluminum self adheasive insullation. I also remover the crosovers and completely insullated the heater box under the hood.
The heater box collects hugh amounts of heat from the passenger side header pipe and travels into the car from there. Do a nice job cuting edges to fit and don't forget to leave a small hole in the bottom for A/C condensation to drain but not the big 2" hole that comes stock. I hardly notice any heat any longer and don't have to worry about Calif smog because the front cats are still there.

Michael Hatch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Viper IV, thanks for the info. I'll surely take your advise.
Armorgod, I've read lots on the 355's today and I'm not clear on the wheel hop thing. Will I get wheel hop if I go to 355's? Who do you recommend to get em from? Thanks..

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm about to make my decision on buying a new 05 today, but all this talk about the heat is giving me second thoughts. I live in Florida where it's hot almost all year. Has anyone here that has bought a SRT-10 as a daily driver wish they wouldn't have because of the heat?

Heat has not been a factor in my purchase of the SRT-10. An interesting side note is that supposedly the late '04's and all '05's have better insulation and that the interior heat problem was fixed. I read that on these forums and was pretty skeptical. That said, my '05 is considerably cooler in the interior than my '03 was. Even during a stop-and-go parade there was no noticeable heat in the footwells. Now I honestly don't know if DC/SRT changed a thing or if it is all in my head, but even the wife commented that it is much cooler than our previous SRT. Also interesting to note that in cooler air the engine seems to run cooler than the '03 did. Different thermostat from the factory?

Bottom line: No matter what year of SRT you are considering, the heat "problem" is just part of the package. You can deal with it as you wish, with most electing to ignore it while they rip up some asphalt. The only SRT-10 I would turn away for a heat issue would be one that was on fire. Maybe. ;)

Art 138

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Any Sport car in South Florida particularly during the summer months will be uncomfortable for long rides. I find taking my viper Mamba just before sunset to be a good compromise. With the top down on ocassion I have turned the A/C on with lower vents and that tempers the heat down. During no stop traffic it appears to be a non-issue. As cooler weather approaches in November it will be a joy to ride anytime. Comparing it to the Ferrari 512 I had before the Mamba,the Viper is more functional. The Ferrari has the radiator up front with the exhange pipes running by the foot wells. With a marginal A/C it was not tolerble during summer months. Buy the Viper-you will enjoy it.

Ooomph

Enthusiast
Reaction score
my srt has pretty much been a daily driver, ~11k miles in 4-1/2 months because I can't get myself to drive my other cars. the heat here in New Mexico was a big issue but like it was said above, only when the top was down. The ac's in these cars kick butt. having said that, I did opt for the belanger header/full exhaust system and it has dropped the cabin temp significantly. literally, to the point of being able to lay both hands on the sidesills after an hour of city driving, no hotter now than a cup of coffee, whereas before it was the temperature of the sun.

ViperGMC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
~11k miles in 4-1/2 months because I can't get myself to drive my other car

I am the exact same way. It is a major struggle to have to go to Home Depot in the pickup/SUV instead of the viper. I have even made two trips to Home Depot in the Viper rather than one in the SUV. That is sick.

I let my father drive the car while he was visiting. His comment was that it idles a little rough, and is a little loud . I laughed and said "exactly".

ARMORGOD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Viper IV, thanks for the info. I'll surely take your advise.
Armorgod, I've read lots on the 355's today and I'm not clear on the wheel hop thing. Will I get wheel hop if I go to 355's? Who do you recommend to get em from? Thanks..

high intensity,

I don't have any wheel hop issues on my SRT (and I'm running 3.55s, belanger headers/exhaust, and a K&N intake), so I really couldn't comment on it. The car launches well and I can feel the tires try to bite, but slipping a good bit, on an agressive 1-2 shift. No "hop" is present, however. The gears that I had put in were made by unitrax and have performed flawlessly (have been run fairly hard at a track weekend, and a few street kills).

JGK95

Enthusiast
Reaction score
~11k miles in 4-1/2 months because I can't get myself to drive my other car

I am the exact same way. It is a major struggle to have to go to Home Depot in the pickup/SUV instead of the viper. I have even made two trips to Home Depot in the Viper rather than one in the SUV. That is sick.

Now THATS FUNNY! :2tu:

I call Home Depot a second home 'cause there's always something that needs to be fixed whether it needs it or not! ...but two trips?? :laugh:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrengine