Thoughts on fixing a crashed Viper?

C.Hermsen

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would like some opinions from those who have, those who would, and those who wouldn't ever, repair a crashed Viper.

It has been my life long dream to own a Viper, and as of the begining of 2010, I was very close to doing so. However I then lost my job, and spent 6+ months unemployed. Needless to say all of my Viper fund was depleted.
My goal was to save up between $20-30k and put it down on a $40-45k Viper. Now that I am back at square one, I am trying to find other options to achieve my dream.

I just happened to look at X2 Builders website, and noticed they have a 2005 SRT-10 with what *appears* to be minimal damage, for the tune of $23,500 and they say the cost of major parts will be $4,200 additional. My idea is that if I could buy a damaged Viper for much less, I would at least *OWN* my dream car..even if it took me a year or two to fix up.
Resale value is of no importance to me, as I will own it until they bury me in the ground with it!

Thoughts, opinions, etc are very appreciated.

Thank you! :2tu:

Edit: I proof read the post, but forgot to proof read the title. It's supposed to say "Thoughts on fixING a crashed Viper"

Last edited by a moderator:

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Thoughts on fixed a crashed Viper?

Winter is coming, I would hang on a bit longer and get a straight one ;) I know its hard when what you want is just out of reach but it will be worth it in the end :) There are cheap cars on flee bay but do your home work, get a Vin No, run a carfax, check out any re-call work and enjoy :) If you do go down the rebuild route, make sure you document everything you do to the car, take photos of any parts you add on or remove (because if you did decide to sell it on, many people would not be interested if there were no records of what had been done)

Good Luck.

slysnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score

x2 Builders is a pretty straight up company from what dealings I've had with them, and Scott has always been good to work with. Their prices are not always the cheapest.

Looking at that car, I would really be worried about the suspension on the front passenger side. It doesn't say anything about frame damage, and x2 is usually up front with that kind of thing. But it's something that really needs to be checked. Plus, the "little things" can wind up costing more that the major parts. Of course you will want to do an on site viewing of the car. I don't know your background, but if you can have an experienced body guy with you that would help.

Another thing to think about. I believe IL (Which I think is where that company is located, just across the river from STL) has a law that salvage cars can only be sold to registered rebuilders. if they have a MO location you can get around it by having the title come from MO. Otherwise you would have to get a rebuilder that will front for you on the purchase. Scott probably knows all the ins and outs of this.

Resale value is of no importance to me, as I will own it until they bury me in the ground with it!
People that buy salvage cars to fix and sell are foolish. You have the right attitude.

IMHO a salvage rebuild CAN be a good deal, but you HAVE to get the right car. The wrong car will cost more to fix up than to buy a clean one. This one looks questionable to me from the pix. Hard to say without seeing it in person. Panels are nothing, structural damage is more difficult.

Black Moon

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I bought mine damaged and spent way too much fixing it when I could have bought a clean one for about the same money. I guess it depends whether it has a salvage title or a clean one. Clean may be worth it but not salvage. $23k is way too much for any wrecked Viper in my opinion especially when he probably picked it up for $15k at the auction. By the time you fix this car you'll have $30k in a car that won't be worth 30k if it has a salvage title. If I had to do it over again I never would. I learned a ton about Vipers which was great but was it worth it. Mine has a clean title but damage history even though it took some new body pieces to make it new again. IMHO

As far as the repairs the Viper is probably the easiest car I've ever worked on. Excellent design and room to get to things. Also an abundance of body parts available.

I would like some opinions from those who have, those who would, and those who wouldn't ever, repair a crashed Viper.

It has been my life long dream to own a Viper, and as of the begining of 2010, I was very close to doing so. However I then lost my job, and spent 6+ months unemployed. Needless to say all of my Viper fund was depleted.
My goal was to save up between $20-30k and put it down on a $40-45k Viper. Now that I am back at square one, I am trying to find other options to achieve my dream.

I just happened to look at X2 Builders website, and noticed they have a 2005 SRT-10 with what *appears* to be minimal damage, for the tune of $23,500 and they say the cost of major parts will be $4,200 additional. My idea is that if I could buy a damaged Viper for much less, I would at least *OWN* my dream car..even if it took me a year or two to fix up.

Thoughts, opinions, etc are very appreciated.

Thank you! :2tu:

Edit: I proof read the post, but forgot to proof read the title. It's supposed to say "Thoughts on fixING a crashed Viper"

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

Thoughts....

Once you get to $23k, you can buy a good GEN ONE, Clean title, wont depreciate too much more, drive the next day. "Viper Curb Appeal" to the masses does not vary much from G1-G4, except for winged cars......

-Since most wrecks are bought by 4 dismantlers, finding-buying BEFORE they do is a bonus.
--EZ To fix to roadworthiness, mainly because they are so DAMM strong.
---Find a total with no or minimal frame damage. A 4-corner spinner. Suspension/Body is easy, cheap.
----IF you enjoy DYI Projects, and have the skills, the "project" can be fun, and saves labor.

InjectTheVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Is there a way to find a wrecked gen 1 before the dismantlers do?
At the VOI farewell dinner several people at our table were saying that I need to buy a wrecked one because it's cheaper and then have it shipped over here. Do I enjoy DIY projects? I have a PASSION for them!!

mbccenter

Legacy Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

I have repaired somewhere arouond 30 Vipers now. It is hard to buy one where you will not have to much money in it before you are done. If you are handy and have good painters it can be done. That is the only way to do a car. You will have 10k easy into fixing that car....

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I just don't see how this could pay when you can step right into a drivable mid mileage Gen 2 for 30K now, and a lower mileage car for a few thou more. Unless you are doing it for the fun/experience it just doesn't seem cost effective with the plethora of cars out there.

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score

At the VOI farewell dinner several people at our table were saying that I need to buy a wrecked one because it's cheaper and then have it shipped over here. Do I enjoy DIY projects? I have a PASSION for them!!

i bet you'd do a fine job itv :2tu:

InjectTheVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I've got a concours 'd elegance winning painter accross the street from work who is willing to do projects in between his regular work, so in addition to fun/experience (I am VERY BIG on those!) yes the cost factor could be interesting also.

InjectTheVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score

i bet you'd do a fine job itv :2tu:

Yea.... if I had any money I would :( I'd follow a course in bodywork prep too to increase the fun. At this pace I'm lucky if I can buy a rear quarter panel for my Calibra before Christmas.
Paging Saint Nicholas or Santa for a wishlist that just contains ONE item starting with a V.........

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

What I was stating is that a good Gen 1 can be had for $23k.....the price of his wreck.

You were at the Farewell Dinner? Did you win anything? Did you say HI? I HAD YOUR ARCHER MODEL IN OUR TRAILER!!!

InjectTheVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I realise that, however I am not looking for a good Gen 1 but a bad one that can still be fixed and will hopefully be cheaper than that $23k figure ;) As is C.Hermsen.

BigBadViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I know a guy with a wrecked Gen 2 ACR, that he could buy back if you are interested.

Phun70

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with it in my opinion. I looked at the very same car, and the only concern I had was the frame...in the underbelly pic, it looked twisted, and that can be difficult to undo properly.

kblake905

Viper Owner
Reaction score
In my opinion if you are interested in keeping the car there seem to be an abundance of vipers with salvage/rebuilt titles, and are valued less than what it will cost you to fix the one you are looking at. Look for one that has already been rebuilt.

OP
OP
C

C.Hermsen

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Some very good points and information in here. I appreciate it. Sounds like the general concensus is to just wait and buy a straight one.

I just don't see how this could pay when you can step right into a drivable mid mileage Gen 2 for 30K now,

Very true, however I kind of have had my eye on a Gen 3 since 2003 or so, and they are tough to be had under $40k. I happened to notice an 04 Mamba in the classifieds here for only $32k now, which is a stellar price. It does have high mileage, but I assume high mileage would be better than salvage title? :dunno:

AFL in NJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Dear BigBadViper,

Please PM me the information on that car, I've got a spare GEN II hood, headlights and other parts and have been looking for another ACR. I already have an '02, so I'm hoping its a 99-01!

Regards,
Aaron

I know a guy with a wrecked Gen 2 ACR, that he could buy back if you are interested.

OP
OP
C

C.Hermsen

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I happened to notice an 04 Mamba in the classifieds here for only $32k now, which is a stellar price. It does have high mileage, but I assume high mileage would be better than salvage title? :dunno:

And I just happened to now notice he dropped the price to $29,900 :omg: I guess a guy would be silly to spend $23k on a wrecked one!

Thank you City Snake for fixing the title :2tu:

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm with JonB on this one - if you can afford something in the $25k range, buy a Gen I or one of the less desirable Gen II cars and get it with a clean title. I think the Gen III cars still have a way to go before they hit bottom, so buying one of those with a salvage title isn't the best move in my opinion - unless you get a stellar price and you have no chance of getting buyer's remorse when you start seeing clean cars selling for the same dollars as you paid.

If I had my heart set on a track car, I'd have no problem buying a salvage car that doesn't have frame damage. Chances are that it's going to have a hard life on the track, and if it's already a salvage, you don't have as much to lose if you have a mishap with it. It's the worry about having a mishap that takes some of the fun out of putting these cars on the track...

Darth Menace

Enthusiast
Reaction score
And I just happened to now notice he dropped the price to $29,900 :omg: I guess a guy would be silly to spend $23k on a wrecked one!

Thank you City Snake for fixing the title :2tu:
can you pm me these classifieds site you are talking about? I've never seen a 04 for anywhere near that price

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cerevo