Thoughts on trading in 01 GTS Bumblebee for 06 BB Coupe

ASPIRATIONS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
Well, I have an 01 GTS Bumblebee with only 1,700 miles and just mounted(40 miles ago) new HRE 6 spokes and P-Zeros...Iam really thinking about trading for an 06 Bumblebee and would like the opnions of new coupe owners that have owned a GTS and just new coupe owners too.Can you honestly say you love your new coupe all around? looks,performance,egonomics,etc. Iam not fully sold on the coupes looks but I have not seen the car "in person' to form a valid opinion..
The biggest factor I have going against me is that I owe 20k on my 01 and would be going deeper in debt to get an 06...I also realize that the 06 coupe will be a 1 yr only style? and they did not make many Bumblebee coupes and I like that factor...
Help me make up my mind,lol and tell me what you think of your 06 coupes! Would you trade your low mile GTS for an 06 coupe?
Yes I know I have to make the final decision and I really have to do it soon which makes matters worse. :confused:
My Bumblebee....Thanks in advance...Kevin

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

56LesPaul

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok...

1st off I do not support going deeper into debt over a car...not a wise financial decision.

2nd) How do you have a 5 year old car with only 1,700 miles on it?!?!? Brings me back to point 1...why would you go into debt over somethig you dont use?

3) Its a none issue as to whether or not to get the SRT Coupe. The SRT is superior in every way...and because you havent seen it in person you might be "iffy" about the looks...but once you see it in person..you will know its just as stunning as the GEN II, if not more...definitely looks like a "newer" more aggressive model. Gen II is dated in its prescence.

4) You also can't compare the build quality of the two cars...the difference in the interior quality is worth the upgrade alone...while the GEN II has a "kit car" build quality to the interior (one plastic piece for entire dash), the GEN III at least has some better materials and is laid out better. Its not perfect..but its acceptable.

5)Better Handling...Better Breaking...More Power (stock)...list goes on and on. Simply put..better car, better experience.

The looks are the only thing up for debate...but once you see it in person your car will start to feel like yesterdays news.

Brian GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kevin,

I'm was in the same boat as you. I was going to sell my Bee for an 06 Bee Coupe. BUT, I've compared both and the looks factor kept me from doing so. Don't get me wrong, as Paul said, the 06 is a superior car all around and I love the back end of the new coupe, but the "awe" factor everywhere else does not exist on the 06 compared to Gen II. Just my opinion though. Good luck on your decision.

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I love the Gen 3 coupe UNTIL its parked by a Gen 2 GTS. I guess I'm just a Gen 1/2 guy to the core. I know the Gen 3 is a superior car in all performance categories, but to me, a Gen 1/2 still tops the "looks" category. I'd keep the Gen 2, but if you have the itch to try something new, go for the Gen 3 :)

56LesPaul

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They both have the "awe" factor. An 06 Bumblebee will turn just as many heads as an 01. Heck the color combo alone secures that. I'll admit it was hard to initially warm up to the GEN III from the GEN II...but after a while it becomes clear the GEN III is the way to go...

Don't mean to be a snob....but most people will just think you can't afford a new one if you are driving a model that is 6+ years old

56LesPaul

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To be fair...look at the audience of who is stating their opinions....

Chad drives a GEN I!...its 10 years old. Of course he likes the looks of the GEN I/II better...that is what he drives.

If your question is what is a better car...its the GEN III hands down....awe factor is a mute point since THEY BOTH TURN HEADS...dare I say the SRT styling may be a little too sophisticated for some (aheem red rt 10 yellow wheels)

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wait till the '08'***** next year. If the 'new" model Viper has the balls it is supposed to have then you will have something worth trading up for. Your car is beautiful, keep it for now. Better things are coming round the corner.

JWALK35

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just traded my 03 for white/blue stripe 06 coupe. I have had gen 2 and 3 ,both are great cars .My bro has a bee and a yellow srt vca bee. Gen 2 very ****. Gen 2 out of the box more track ready and imo handles better on road course. Gen 3 WAY better brakes but needs motons,oil pan and a quaiffe rear-end. All of which i'm putting on my car. If you aren't tracking the car , go Gen 3. I still love the Gen 2 and will have one again someday.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't mean to be a snob....but most people will just think you can't afford a new one if you are driving a model that is 6+ years old

Five posts and already branded an idiot. Why did you get a Viper, you sound more like a Porsche type. Can you possibly be a little more condescending? Do you know the first thing about Viper's and their history? Most Viper owners here respect what others choose to drive, and don't feel they have to justify their car buy putting down someone elses. What are you 15 years old? Dealing well with those insecurities?

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Chad drives a GEN I!...its 10 years old. Of course he likes the looks of the GEN I/II better...that is what he drives.

If your question is what is a better car...its the GEN III hands down....awe factor is a mute point since THEY BOTH TURN HEADS...dare I say the SRT styling may be a little too sophisticated for some (aheem red rt 10 yellow wheels)

I drive a Gen 1 because thats the Viper I grew up saying I would have one day. Yes, its 10 years old. You know the scary part? I'd trade it for a 92' in a heartbeat! That's 14 years old! But its the ORIGINAL Viper. Like I said, I like Gen 3's. I just like the original Viper more in the looks category. Its many people on here who drive Gen 1/2's who could afford to buy a Gen 3. Its all about opinions. Aspirations asked for opinions. I'm not flaming you for being a Gen 3 person, we're still all Viper people. Vipers come in different styles and colors for a reason :)

BlueGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score

You have got to be kidding me. Non Viper people never guess that my car is 10 years old. I really hope you did not buy your car to impress people with it's newness. :rolleyes:

You are under the impression that Gen 2 owners just have them because they can not afford Gen 3's. Wrong. :bonker:

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I missed your little snide comment at the end. Must be because I really don't care what you think and quit reading 1/2 way through your post. If you bought your car for sophistication, you're actually looking for www.corvetteforum.com. Enjoy your heads-up display, ABS, and TC.

56LesPaul

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well fact is I am really not interested in the "history" as much as I am the driving characteristics of the car. My comment about affording the new model was targeted at people who live in the world outside the viper bubble.

I'm sorry but when you see someone in an '01 Sl mercedes...you dont think..hmmmm maybe they appreciate the styling more than the new one.

And yes for maybe VINTAGE ferraris I can understand the heritage buffs who like that experience...

But what "experience" does the GEN II provide over the GEN III other than a rattling dash, lesser handling, worse brakes...

Sorry but at the end of the day this argument just comes back to opinions on what looks better...and thats fine...but I would think true car enthusiasts would care more about other qualities that make the GEN III far superior...

And V10SPEED...you probably represent .00001% of the consumer market who would rather trade down than up in the model of car they drive.

I love my viper...but to me when I see '93s roll up I dont say "wow..that's a classic"...I saw "wow I am suprised that thing is still glued together"

It's not like they are rare....GEN I vipers can be had on ebay for $25k...ummm the price of a Jetta

Shelby3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm always somewhat disappointed when I'm asked for my opinion regarding someone's choice of cars. I feel I have so much more advice to offer regarding far more important life decisions.

How about your career? Are you sure you are going in the right direction there? I'm really good at evaluating people and their skills and then offering advice that will maximize their potential to contribute.

How about your interpersonal relationships? How are you doing there? I can spot a phony broad a mile away and have a keen eye for high quality females who are as attractive on the inside as they are beautiful. I can also evaluate your male friendships and let you know how you're doing there.

How about your political views? I can straighten you out there too. If you plan on voting for Hillary Clinton, maybe not, but I would be willing to try.

So you see, advising you on the make of your car seems a bit trite to me when you could be getting life changing opinions and guidance from a complete stranger such as myself via the inter web, all from the comfort of your office chair.

However, regarding your car situation. If you swap the GTS, in twenty years you will feel like the guy who traded his 67 427 tri-power for a C4.

toomanymodz

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I drove my SRT-10 to a car show last week and a few folks stood around gawking. A short while later, two Gen-II's pulled in, and they drew a crowd. I spoke with the driver and he slammed the looks of the Gen III's (not knowing that I owned one). Personally, I don't care what people think of the Gen III's, I bought one and I love it. I actually like both the SRT-10's and the GTS models. If I were you, keep your 01 GTS, pay it off (if it ain't paid off already) and save your money for the 08 Viper and buy it too. Why have one Viper when you can have two!

boplaw

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well fact is I am really not interested in the "history" as much as I am the driving characteristics of the car. My comment about affording the new model was targeted at people who live in the world outside the viper bubble.

I'm sorry but when you see someone in an '01 Sl mercedes...you dont think..hmmmm maybe they appreciate the styling more than the new one.

And yes for maybe VINTAGE ferraris I can understand the heritage buffs who like that experience...

But what "experience" does the GEN II provide over the GEN III other than a rattling dash, lesser handling, worse brakes...

Sorry but at the end of the day this argument just comes back to opinions on what looks better...and thats fine...but I would think true car enthusiasts would care more about other qualities that make the GEN III far superior...

And V10SPEED...you probably represent .00001% of the consumer market who would rather trade down than up in the model of car they drive.

I love my viper...but to me when I see '93s roll up I dont say "wow..that's a classic"...I saw "wow I am suprised that thing is still glued together"

It's not like they are rare....GEN I vipers can be had on ebay for $25k...ummm the price of a Jetta

You're a charmer. Is that you again LongIslandDuckButter? :nana:

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score

In a few years, the guys who have 92' RT/10s are gonna be sitting mighty pretty. Think about what 53' Vette's are worth these days.

Hey look, now you're in the .00001% of the consumer market. Funny how things work like that isn't it?

Gen 1 Vipers aren't rare? Only a few thousand were made from 92-96. Rare and expensize mean two different things. Hop in your (imaginary?) Viper, drive to Wal-Mart, buy a dictionary, learn the definitions to the words you're using and get back to me. And as I said earlier, wait a little bit and see what Gen 1/2 Vipers go for. You might be singing a different tune then.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do you believe this one man ****** committee joined the Viper forum today ? He has a winning way. How big a loser he must be in real life, I can't imagine. He needs to validate his purchase of a new coupe (he claims to own)) by mocking other Viper owners and their cars. He's going to go a long way here.

FinalEd357

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'd keep the GTS based on the fact that you owe money on it. I'd try to get debt free and re-consider the '06 at a later date, if you could trade up with cash. If not, you still have a beautiful bumblebee without the payment... Can't lose either way - good luck!

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The biggest problem I see is that you only have 1700 miles on your car. I can't imagine you have enjoyed it much putting only 300 miles per year on the car.

My advice is to drive the car and enjoy it. After a few years when it's paid off, if you still have the 06 Bumble Bee itch, you will be able to find one with very low mileage (as yours has now).

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Take your 01 out for dinner at some swanky place in Park City and valet it. At the end of the evening when you retrieve your 01, ask the valet his opinion. Next week, rent an 06 coupe from an exotic rental and do the same thing...betcha the valet will remember the 01 the week before...and not the 06. Been there...done that.

hemibeep

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thought on the post, try to find someone that will take you for a spin in an 06'. I love my GEN II. I also really like the GEN III.

I will probably have an 06 in Jan....at least if my plan comes together in the MGM. I have to tell you there is something about looking at the belly of that beast while hitting the "MAX BET" on the slots trying to win it.
Hope you VOI guys don't win it before I get there.

Chad,
Don't let 56chevy ruffle your feathers, Its not the GEN I/II thats his beef, its the red is slower than blue thingy.

Dexter

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just bought a Gen II without warranty when I could have had a Gen III with warranty for about the same money. I even looked at a brand new 06 Copperhead Coupe for only 15K more.

In the end I decided I would likely spend as much time looking at it as I do driving it. Therefore my personal opinion on looks played a heavy part in my final decision.

I still feel awkward at car shows because I feel my car is too new.

There still Vipers and therefor their all special! :D

wannabe-psi

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just bought a Gen II without warranty when I could have had a Gen III with warranty for about the same money. I even looked at a brand new 06 Copperhead Coupe for only 15K more.

In the end I decided I would likely spend as much time looking at it as I do driving it. Therefore my personal opinion on looks played a heavy part in my final decision.

I still feel awkward at car shows because I feel my car is too new.

There still Vipers and therefor their all special! :D

i agree, i picked up an 01 race yellow gts with 1900 miles with max care from woodhouse!(thx bill!!)! for the price of my gts, i could have picked up a used(sub 2k mile) 06 coupe easily!

Dave Moore

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
I love my GenIII. The handeling, braking, power. Most of all I love the Copperhead Orange color. :headbang:
But I have to admit...there is just something too **** about the GTS. Maybe its like dating a hot girl with with a hot older sister. You can't help but stare, wonder and brush up against her any chance you get.

Keep your car!!! :2tu:

YouWish

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Quick answer I say keep the GTS. The only Viper worth trading in on to replace the GTS is the Competition Coupe IMHO. Good luck,love your Viper by the way.

56LesPaul

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Shocking results...

The Gen II crowd chimes in to keep the GEN II

This is typical message board "my car is the best ever"

Listen its very simple....

GEN III is superior car in every technical way

Which one looks better is something that has been debated to death I'm sure...so thats really a matter of opinion that you have to decide...spare us the 16 year old Valet is the true test of looks. Like he would forget an 06 Coupe because it doesnt have the wow factor....right

What I find mute about any of this is this guy only puts 300 miles a year on his car...hell I put that on in nice weekend. Why give so much thought to something you will never use.

And as for the "in 20 years" talk...who cares. Do any of you really plan on keeping your car for 20 years as an investment plan...so a $50k used viper may retain it's value and go up some in 20 years (GEN I, II)..but even if it sold for $150k....TIME VALUE OF MONEY over that period for even a risk adverse investment would be a lot more than that....simply put its NOT a good investment