throttle cable went through my fire wall

fast?

Enthusiast
Reaction score
was at the track over the weekend. first run down the track, shifted into fourth gear and mashed the gas and no response except deceleration and the pedal on the floor. pulled over after the turn and found the petal on the ground with loose slack on the throttle cable and the plunger that holds the cable from coming through the fire wall inside the car. had the car towed to the pit area and had a few guys look at it. took us an hour and a half to cut the rubber plunger off and feed it back through the fire wall. took off one of the straps holding the spark plug wires and clipped it to the throttle cable so it couldn't go back through the fire wall. man i can't believe that dc only uses a small rubber plunger to strap down the throttle cable. so be careful guys on slamming the petal to the floor.is there any upgrade or safety measure so this doesn't happen again?

TOOOFST

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've had it replaced once and break again,very weak setup.I fabricated C shaped bracket to fix.I was stuck on the road the first time,found some wire in a ditch twisty tied it and went racing.

OP
OP
F

fast?

Enthusiast
Reaction score
carry a spare?? man if i carried a spare part for anything that could go wrong while racing i would have to put a hitch on my car and haul around a trailer. that would be funny though because i could probably still smoke most of the people wanting to race.

MES

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>
Now I know why I haven't dragged my recently purchased 2000 GTS yet! BTW, don't most racers mash the gas to the floor and leave it there through all shift points?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Try that in your Viper and your going into the ditch, wall, curb, etc.
shake.gif

SingleMalt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Step1. Mash Gas
Step2. Release Clutch
Step3. Shift gears without lifting gas
Step4. Snap shifter off transmission...

I'm sure you meant "...without using clutch"

BUD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine broke twice. Once racing against a Supra. Dealer promised it would NEVER happen again. I guess he super glued it. So far so good. I heard it was the same part as on a neon. <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by trent:
was at the track over the weekend. first run down the track, shifted into fourth gear and mashed the gas and no response except deceleration and the pedal on the floor. pulled over after the turn and found the petal on the ground with loose slack on the throttle cable and the plunger that holds the cable from coming through the fire wall inside the car. had the car towed to the pit area and had a few guys look at it. took us an hour and a half to cut the rubber plunger off and feed it back through the fire wall. took off one of the straps holding the spark plug wires and clipped it to the throttle cable so it couldn't go back through the fire wall. man i can't believe that dc only uses a small rubber plunger to strap down the throttle cable. so be careful guys on slamming the petal to the floor.is there any upgrade or safety measure so this doesn't happen again?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Henry Cone

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We have a club member who had this happen at the drag strip. He was running headers without heat shields at the time. He has since modified a set of stock heat shields to fit over his headers and has not had the problem re-occur in spite of a lot of track miles. Based upon his experience I would suggest that the excessive heat from unshielded headers is softening the rubber and causing it to fail prematurely. This is another reason to heat shield your headers...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang