Tick Tick Tick!!!!

Izover4u

Viper Owner
Reaction score
So today my car started ticking while in neutral :crazy2: I've read several posts on how vipers have noisy injectors and valves and that this noise is very common and normal. However my car never did it before and some dont at all so how much is it going to cost me to fix this annoying "tick":dunno: Have any of you guys fixed this "Tick"?

Thanks

Last edited:
V

Venomiss

VCA members don't get the tick....:)

Call Chuck Tator and ask for ideas?

DavidSB

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does it go away when the engine warms up? If so, you may have an exhaust header crack where the gusset is welded to the tubes. The crack opens when cold and closes when hot.

OP
OP
I

Izover4u

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Does it go away when the engine warms up? If so, you may have an exhaust header crack where the gusset is welded to the tubes. The crack opens when cold and closes when hot.

Nope it seems its the opposite... The sound becomes apparent when the car is warmed up...

xjrguy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Oil or other lubrication issue?

Have you checked the dipstick lately?

Roadrunner

Viper Owner
Reaction score
As strange as it might sound... are all the spark plugs tight? I once had a 4.0L jeep that was ticking and it was pressure escaping around one of the plugs that had loosened a bit. Don't torque em' hard, just look for any that might have gone loose.

And all of that only if the ticking is coming from the area near the headers / plugs.

OP
OP
I

Izover4u

Viper Owner
Reaction score
As strange as it might sound... are all the spark plugs tight? I once had a 4.0L jeep that was ticking and it was pressure escaping around one of the plugs that had loosened a bit. Don't torque em' hard, just look for any that might have gone loose.

And all of that only if the ticking is coming from the area near the headers / plugs.

I will give it a check this weekend thanks :2tu:

kennyhemi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As well as a loose spark plug! a spark plug cable not seated properly either end will make arc/tick noise, also check for an exhast leak. sometimes they will sound like a tick; If it warms up and get worse it my be a lifter bleading down as oil thins out as temp rises.

OP
OP
I

Izover4u

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Finally had the chance to take a look at the car today.. turns out it was a spark plug wire... Started the car last night, pop'd the hood and saw sparks from plug #1... I went out this morning to check out the spark plug and found the spark plug itself was not loose but the wire was faulty. The inner part of the wire came out and was stuck on the plug :(... So I need to buy new spark plug wires. Any suggestions? :2tu: Stock or after market?

Thanks

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Finally had the chance to take a look at the car today.. turns out it was a spark plug wire... Started the car last night, pop'd the hood and saw sparks from plug #1... I went out this morning to check out the spark plug and found the spark plug itself was not loose but the wire was faulty. The inner part of the wire came out and was stuck on the plug :(... So I need to buy new spark plug wires. Any suggestions? :2tu: Stock or after market?

Thanks

You must be new here...

home

OP
OP
I

Izover4u

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You must be new here...

home

Thanks for the link:2tu: I may go this route...

Since only one wire failed do you think I should just run to the dealer and purchase one wire if they allow me too? Will I really see any benefit to these wires compared to stock?

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the link:2tu: I may go this route...

Since only one wire failed do you think I should just run to the dealer and purchase one wire if they allow me too? Will I really see any benefit to these wires compared to stock?

No man... AB's wires are the BEST. Not to mention the guy is a regular here and once a Viper owner (getting back into one soon I hope), and an upstanding businessman. He won't rest until you're happy.

On top of that, the quality of the wires are tops. Ask anyone here that has em.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang