Time for a vote on VIPER magazine

Craig 201 MPH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You're not going to have a decent unbiased publication that covers some of the "issues" these cars have without it being a completely independant publication. The whole magazine is so self serving I want to be sick. Has the magazine ever been the least bit critical of anything? Does the magazine ever reccommend using anything other than "mopar approved" this and that when there are obviously better alternatives than some of the stock parts? NO! It's 100% advertising and personally I couldn't care less to hear about the NASCAR effort that sucked up all the $$ from the GTS-R program.

Typical reader mail to VM:

Dear VM,
We just got our Viper and we love it oh so much. Our friendly dodge dealer also graciously signed us up for this great magazine. My significant other and I really like all the looks we get in the car, it seems like we can't go anywhere without getting stopped by people asking questions about this car. Here is a picture of our stupid dog wearing a Viper scarf in front of our Viper. Tinkers just loves the big red car!

Signed,
Mr and Mrs Windbreaker.

Tinkers is surely a Viper fan. Just proof the Viper is king of all animals. TEEEHEEEEHEEE HEEE -Ed

Surely the people that put this magazine together can group this crap with the garbage that gets sent out to prowler owners.

I would like to see this:

Yo DC,

*** is up with the power steering caps? My car smelled like crap the other day so I popped the hood only to discover my power steering cap was off and the fluid was spilling onto the aftermarket headers I installed that surely voided my warranty. I would just like to know if you plan on issuing any sort of recall about this and replacing it with something that works. You recalled the $18,000 PT cruisers because of this problem why not the Viper?

Signed,
I've got my lawyers ready.

Craig 201 MPH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All cars have problems. You want a car with little to no problems go buy a silver toyota camry. Fact is enthusiast sports cars have problems. It's the nature of the beast, woouldn't scare me from owning one. When you get right down to it, there is probably only 5-7% of VM that is actually useful viper enthusiast/owner information about THE CAR, not the club, not the events. THE CAR.

dennis

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agreed... Still it's a DC publication... You mentioned all the points. I totally think that's right, and the whole adverstising is getting on my nerves. I'd also like to see some nice shots of the cars instead of pictures of boats, and garages...

LW VIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've just sold my Viper, but I expect I'll have another at some point. EXCELLENCE magazine is a magazine devoted to Porsches. They keep their readers updated on the market for used models. They have a REAL tech section that deals with problems, including photos and written information. They preview new models and do road tests. I still buy it on the stands when I want to read about Porsches.

VIPER, (when it shows up at all) seems like an "in-house" fluff propaganda magazine. Certainly glossy photos, but not much content.

I think it should be kept purely to Vipers, (past, present and future) and Viper issues, products, people, techs, regions, get togethers, upgrades, racing, etc.

How about a nice article on Skip Barber's class that Kinder or someone could write?

How about something on how to tell if you're going to be a victim of the head gasket failures of Gen I and 1.5s?

Power steering caps.

Best cooling systems?

Best tires?

Best upgrades (smooth intakes, K&Ns, catback systems, etc)

Vipersrule

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Viper only. But I guess the Gen II viper is already getting "old" so they have to do new stuff...

Sometimes I feel like I bought a dinosour and it's a beautiful 2002 RT/10 :mad:

It's amazing how fast things move and change. The Gen III must really be getting old now that it's been out for 1.5 years. It seems to me that Dodge could do a lot more to promote and build the viper image. Maybe they don't care anymore? :(

MaxedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i hope VM is reading and taking notes. They can keep my $50 and just send me a coupon for an oil change :rolleyes:

Max

Gerald Levin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
DC, are you listening?
We want:
1. A better Viper only mag
and while I'm at it.........
2. A redesigned SRT (and weld a friggin top on it)
3. Mechanics(?) that continue to fu@k up the 998 recall need to be heavily fined, castrated and then fired.
4. More HP, even if it is an option.
I could go on, but I don't think anyone at DC is listening or for that matter, even cares what we think.

You have produced the best car on the planet for the money. Just don't quit on us.

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Craig201MPH,

I like the letter on the power steering caps, I think I wrote that two years ago. I told you guys the solution though, now sold through Archer Racing and Roe Racing. Ad will be in next Viper Magazine.

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Vipers & babes only for content - maybe have a page on the SRT truck because it had a Viper engine, but NO articles on things like the magnum - advertising other DC products is fine.

JGK95

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Vipers Only!! Craig's article was right on the money! An in depth magazine with real content will always be selected over the glossies because the people writing the articles care about what they write about. Rather than using this magazine to advertise across the spectrum, howsabout focusing on the core audience and being more technical?

Jay K.

vipermag

Enthusiast
Reaction score
First, let me thank everyone for taking the time to express their opinions. I appreciate the feedback (both positive and negative) as I believe it helps us put out a better magazine.

It's obvious there is quite a bit of support for more technical information in the magazine. I don't think anyone has a problem with that. You do have to realize that I do get other letters from people who like the human interest stories as well, so the job is to find the right balance in our editorial content. That's why I find this thread so interesting. It makes us stop and think about whether we've gone to far in one direction or another. I can say that, from this point, we will definitely look into providing more technical information in future issues.

Let me make one more point. A lot has been said here about the articles on other Dodge vehicles. You should know that this content is not driven by Dodge Marketing (although I'm sure they don't mind). The point of these reviews is to highlight the other products from the SRT staff. We don't cover minivans and such, only the other high-performance products that at least have a little Viper in them, from the SRT-10 Ram or the SRT-4. Dan Knott and his staff at SRT have done a lot for Viper owners and the VCA and I believe the least I can do is give them a little coverage in the magazine for their efforts.

I hope this answers some questions. and I would like to request again that if anyone has any specific suggestions for articles or stories, please feel free to drop me a line at [email protected].

Thanks again for your comments and I'm looking forward to hearing from you some more.

Mark Giannotta
Editor
VIPER Magazine

garolittle

Enthusiast
Reaction score
First, let me thank everyone for taking the time to express their opinions. I appreciate the feedback (both positive and negative) as I believe it helps us put out a better magazine.

It's obvious there is quite a bit of support for more technical information in the magazine. I don't think anyone has a problem with that. You do have to realize that I do get other letters from people who like the human interest stories as well, so the job is to find the right balance in our editorial content. That's why I find this thread so interesting. It makes us stop and think about whether we've gone to far in one direction or another. I can say that, from this point, we will definitely look into providing more technical information in future issues.

Let me make one more point. A lot has been said here about the articles on other Dodge vehicles. You should know that this content is not driven by Dodge Marketing (although I'm sure they don't mind). The point of these reviews is to highlight the other products from the SRT staff. We don't cover minivans and such, only the other high-performance products that at least have a little Viper in them, from the SRT-10 Ram or the SRT-4. Dan Knott and his staff at SRT have done a lot for Viper owners and the VCA and I believe the least I can do is give them a little coverage in the magazine for their efforts.

I hope this answers some questions. and I would like to request again that if anyone has any specific suggestions for articles or stories, please feel free to drop me a line at [email protected].

Thanks again for your comments and I'm looking forward to hearing from you some more.

Mark Giannotta
Editor
VIPER Magazine

Excellent response. Viper Magazine is a great publication and I look foward to reading it each month. I agree that this thread is exactly what is needed to ensure that the aforementioned "balance" is achieved. Count me in a life-time subscriber.

P.S. More photos of chicks would be nice. :D

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
NO TUNERS! THEY VOID WARRANTIES!

Not all Viper have warranties! So no worries there!

I have a separate warrany set up with Heffner! He should be the 1st tuner to grace the cover!! :headbang:

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How about Coupons for large discounts on SRT vehicles that only go out in Viper Quarterly to the VCA members! :2tu:

AJT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mark, Good to know you cruise the site and are listening. More tech. talk on real issues. Not

I bought my 1999 RT & the check engine light comes on , what should I do? Well DUH, have the codes read!

More Chick photos!

Andy

vipermag

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK, OK--I get the message.

More chicks.

Look for ******* photo in fall.

Mark Giannotta
VIPER Magazine

dennis

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think everyone here appreciates the responses.
I really do enjoy reading it, but it's called the "Viper" mag, so the Viper should be in the focus, and the whole magazine should BE the focus. No matter if SRT works on other cars also, we all want to read about Viper stuff. Storys, problems, experiences and nice pictures. I love the drifting CompCoupes in the current issue, that's how I, and I guess a lot of others want it.

Keep it a Viper magazine, and a Viper magazine only...
Although I wouldn't mind a few ******* in it, also.

C O D Y

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm sick of the girl viper owners writing in to tell us they bought a car themselves. What's the big deal? Lots of guys bought their own cars and that don't make news.

Never mind. I just sent my letter to Good House Keeping telling them I'm a man and I just bought a Vacuum.

Craig 201 MPH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm sick of the girl viper owners writing in to tell us they bought a car themselves. What's the big deal? Lots of guys bought their own cars and that don't make news.

Never mind. I just sent my letter to Good House Keeping telling them I'm a man and I just bought a Vacuum.

Give'r nails! Did you get the hoover or dirt devil?

OP
OP
G

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cody.Can you mention my name to Good House Keeping too.Last year I got sick and tired of the wife's old hoover.Looked around and bought a Simplicity series seven.Light,easy to use and more suction than a kirby......... Bruce

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang