Time to sell the Gen 1? Ya'lls Thoughts?

got one

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did I hit the right points? Price okay and inline? I am going to post to the VCA classifieds once I get a few thoughts from you folks.

Well, I never thought this day would come, but it has. I am selling my beloved Viper. I am now opening up to the VCA chapters first grab of it since quite of you of you have experienced this car at one point or another. Yes, I am selling the Car and no I am not leaving the Viper community J For those of you who know this car…you know you won’t find a nicer and reliable Gen 1 Viper around.

Below are the details...I also have 100's of pictures and video of the car...just let me know what you want to see and I can get it. I also have a lift in the house, so undercarriage pictures are readily available :)Upgrades over a bone stock Gen 1
All documented, provided and installed by nationally known Viper Parts Vendors and installed by Certified Viper Technicians.
  • Matching MOPAR rear wing (produces 390 pounds of down force at 100mph)…for added safety at higher speeds.
  • Stainless steel brake lines vs. the standard wearable rubber (for added safety) and consistent braking.
  • Black badging to tie into side exhaust covers.
  • Remote door openers/poppers.
  • 170 degree thermostat for reliable cooling on hot days and for traffic conditions…with freshly refurbished radiator and Roe Fan kit.
  • Red silicone hoses (not made any more) throughout entire engine bay.
  • Updated radiator cap to help prevent overheating.
  • Matching red custom high temperature spark plug wires.
  • Upgraded 3.33 Gears and rebuilt differential.
  • Slotted and Drilled brake rotors with dustless brake pads.
  • Matching red 5 point safety harness installed.
  • Extra Set of Vmania Plexiglas windows with BOTH windows having sliding vents.
  • TNT Headers (no longer made) tested to the BEST overall headers for Gen 1’s…dynoed to provide more torque than any other.
  • Random Tech hi-flow catalytic converters.
  • Dynomax bullet mufflers.
  • Stainless steel exhaust tips.
  • Brake air cooling deflectors.
  • Red silicone smooth air intake hoses.
  • K&N Filters.
  • Upgraded Chromally flywheel with new slave cylinder, throwout bearing and clutch.
  • Upgraded head gaskets ( as MUST for ALL Gen 1 owners).
  • Roe crank pin kit.
  • Jeff Lemke one piece hard top (not produced any longer) this is VERY RARE.
  • Jeff Lemke true glass windows (new design).
  • OEM car cover (without license plate plastic view…this cover was an earlier model before the law was passed) VERY RARE.
  • OEM car cover bag.
  • OEM Bra (VERY RARE).
  • OEM tonneau cover (VERY RARE).
  • Two extra sets of rims and tires (OEM three spoke and OEM 5 spoke…will be on car).
  • Upgraded stereo iphone/USB/AUX compatible, amplifier and upgraded speakers.
  • Each set of windows has its own set of OEM bags including the stock OEM soft top and soft windows.
  • Working A/C (no longer produced for Gen 1 Vipers)...not all Gen 1 Vipers have A/C
  • OEM shop repair manual (VERY RARE)
  • Signature on car from Father Viper (the original project manager of the Dodge Viper) along with his Wife''s signature (now try and find that one on the same car!).
What you won’t find
  • Old gaskets that leak or issues with reliability because the car hasn’t been driven and has sat up.
  • Unreliability (in 8 years of ownership, the car has NEVER left me stranded).
  • Cheap upgrades/maintenance (all parts and labor provided by known Viper vendors...Parts Rack, Chuck Tator, Viper Parts of America, Dodge, etc.)
  • Safety issues
  • You won’t find a more reliable, well taken care of, turnkey, documented Gen 1 with all the RELIABLE upgrades and accessories…go ahead and try J
References
  • The two leading Certified Gen 1 Viper technicians in the Southwest.
  • Annual Dyno sheets to verify continuous/upgraded performance and health.
  • Over 100 personal references for the last 8 years of the cars life with me, verifying meticulous car care.
~The Details
  • Asking $30,499 OBO (with all accessories, tops, bags, upgrades, history file, etc.)
  • Contact info: Ryan Fox

OP
OP
got one

got one

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Should I ask 34k for it? It has a ton of accessories. Would that still be a good deal?

FastZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A car that clean with those miles.... I don't believe it.

I cannot but a car without some sort of dirt and road wear on it....

Sorry Ryan, it's simply too clean for me. But I want all your accessories - I'll trade you a kidney or a lung for them.

jasontiff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Should I ask 34k for it? It has a ton of accessories. Would that still be a good deal?

I think your price is fair.

My $.02: Guys looking to get into a Gen. I probably are probably looking for bang for the buck. There are some Gen. II RTs priced lower than your car but don't have the mods, and there are some GTSs around the same price. $34k would put it about $10k higher than the cheapest Gen. Is out there now, so you'd be holding out for the right buyer as opposed to pricing it to move fairly quickly.

I think you'll see it move before spring priced around $30k; if you go higher you may run into the problems Marty B had with his heavily-modded Gen. I.

To interested parties: Ryan babies the hell out of his car, to the point where we tease him pretty relentlessly about it. It has some miles on it, but you'd be hard-pressed to find a Gen. I in better condition with 1/4 the miles his has. It's CONSTANTLY meticulously detailed, and he has a lift so he can get to every little nook and cranny you'd never think to look at. Whoever looks at this car won't be disappointed.

FastZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
if you go higher you may run into the problems Marty B had with his heavily-modded Gen. I.

Those buyers are out there. I know Marty had his for sale for a long time, even before I was in the market to buy. I don't think he even had it listed when I was looking for "that car" - letting the add cool off or something.

I just happened to want exactly what he had (mods, HP, etc.). There are those buyers that want "that" car, it may just take an extend amount of time to find the buyer, or buyer to find the car (as in my case with Marty's RT).

Like anything - how long do you want/can you sit on the car before selling it. I do agree with you about the bang for the buck buyer for the Gen 1 - I don't like that reality but it is what it is.

I think I did see a rock lodged in the tread of Ryan's front tire though.....he's slippin! He must not be sweeping the neighborhood streets like he used to.

Big Mac

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I know where you can find an unmolested McViper. I've been considering a Gen 4 coupe so I can drive it some days on these extended projects I've been working.

Early93Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am sure I will be burned at the stake for this:

86k mile GEN I for 30k? I am going to be the only A-hole that says that's way too high. 25k would be more than a fair price and honestly for that many miles I would say less. They are going up in price but not long a go a good GEN I with around 40k miles went for 25k. You have the mods but mods usually get pennies on the dollar. Your going to have to find someone that really wants that car with those mods to get more than 25k.

TexasTonka

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To be 100% honest, I know the mileage, I also know the owner and that it was kept up with 100%. It never had an issue, it ran strong every dyno run, I would poke fun that Ryan had to remove road grim and bug splatter EVERY time we stopped...anywhere!
With this knowledge if I was to buy a Gen I this is the one I would put top on my list, but the asking price is a bit over and above what I would say is reasonable.

Somewhat agree with Tiff, if you keep the $30K price tag you will have to find the OCD cleanliness Viper buyer to sell it, drop the price to $27K and I think it will be out of your garage by the Round Up.

OP
OP
got one

got one

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Turn key :). Most folks will be hard pressed to find a more reliable and stable gen1 or 2 for that matter. This a car you can drive from coast to coast with zero issues and it includes all the hard to find/no longer produced items...that are really neat and functional for a gen 1.

Voodoo Rob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Drop the price to 25-26 to move it and sell all the extras in the classifieds, the field is crowded with other choices with less mileage. The only thing going against the car is the miles. Clean it and maintain it but the mileage will factor more into the price than anything. The car is clean and mean, it will sell if priced right.

ZYellow01RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I sold my Gen 1 for a Gen 2 as well...and my Gen 1 had over 80k too.

Didn't get nearly what you're asking for yours, but it wasn't as clean as yours either.

Good luck and hope everything works out! :2tu:

moparracing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
86k mile GEN I for 30k? I am going to be the only A-hole that says that's way too high. 25k would be more than a fair price and honestly for that many miles I would say less. They are going up in price but not long a go a good GEN I with around 40k miles went for 25k. You have the mods but mods usually get pennies on the dollar.

agreed, too many miles for that price.

ViperGal

Enthusiast
Reaction score
those miles are from VCA drives and regional zone events ... and why everyone in town -or make that Texas knows ... he has never had a single solitary issue on any one of them.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Seperate the accessories, lower the price. Give the potential buyers an 'options package' so sell the bits later if not wanted.

I sold my 1994 Black in July 2011, 2 tops, oe and VM windows, new tires, stock, 76K miles, but looked like 50k miles. Sills and nose scuffs and mild wheel scuffs. Seat worn. Gaskets done, ran strong....... $20K.

Good Luck!

OP
OP
got one

got one

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Seperate the accessories, lower the price. Give the potential buyers an 'options package' so sell the bits later if not wanted.

I sold my 1994 Black in July 2011, 2 tops, oe and VM windows, new tires, stock, 76K miles, but looked like 50k miles. Sills and nose scuffs and mild wheel scuffs. Seat worn. Gaskets done, ran strong....... $20K.

Good Luck!

Ya, I have been offering that as of late. I have already had a few folks who are considering the car with all the accessories...it is a car with 86k that looks like 10-15k :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21