Tips for a drive (heat issues)

commoditybroker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is there any special way to drive the Viper on trips? I will be driving to Vegas (about 4 hrs) in about one week with my Viper, and I wonder if there are any tips or things to watch for....

i.e. varying speeds, cooling the car, etc.

Thanks,

Zach

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Tips for long drive

4 hrs = long drive :confused:

I've been known to take a Sunday afternoon cruise of that length. No special things should be required (other than gas). Maybe an occasional stretch to loosen the legs. I have been known to get leg cramps during longer drives.

Now if it is a trip then packing becomes the biggest obstacle.

BigCarrot

Enthusiast
Reaction score

That is a beating in a Viper! I took a two hour drive yesterday, and I thought it seemed long. I'm tall, so it's a little cramped. I think if I had the seat lowered and had cruise control, I could drive across the country. It's sure FUN to drive!

OP
OP
C

commoditybroker

Enthusiast
Reaction score

yea...I forgot to edit the post title...I take bi-monthly 6 hour drives....

EDITED TITLE: Tips for a Sunday cruise :)

Moundir

Enthusiast
Reaction score

lmao, I drove to Fl nonstop in 16 hours last weekend :D actually I did stop at Risky Caffe for about an hour for some breakfast ;)

OP
OP
C

commoditybroker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Tips for drive

If you think 4 hours is a long drive then you best take a different car.

Na....forgot to change the post title...

I was mostly concerned about the heat as it should be about 115-120 deg. throughout most of my drive...

Is there anything to look for or watch for?? (besides the obvious)

Zach

Wild Bill

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Drove mine to New Orleans one Saturday (6 1/2 hours); went on a cruise Sunday (4 hours) drove back home Monday 7 1/2 hours (ran into a rain storm). Very hot and humid and I had no overheating problems.

Only problem I had was I didn't get to drive her enough :D :D :D

Bill

Viperzilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Bill, you're sick, go see a doctor. Maybe visit the mental institute, but before you go, I'll watch over your Viper and give her the daily excercise.

VPRVENM97

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Check your tires and tire pressure. I-15 through the Mojave Desert seems to be brutal on tires. Last time I drove to Vegas it was 129 degrees in Baker.

OP
OP
C

commoditybroker

Enthusiast
Reaction score

ouch....I will make sure to check the tires on gas stops....I remember reading something about fires and a (I think) power steering cap slipping off....Is that an issue on all model years?

Zach

Nexus-6

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Power steering cap - I check to make sure it's tight pretty much any time the hood is open these days.

picflight

Enthusiast
Reaction score

commoditybroker,

I have taken several trips to LV in my C4 during the peak summer, it will be a great drive in the Viper I am sure. As long as you have checked the cooling system and hoses I don't see any problems. Even with the AC on the Viper will function without a glitch.

You should do the usual for any long trip, tire pressure, coolant level, make sure power steering cap is on securely. At constant speed with uniform airflow into the radiator you will notice that the coolant temp will settle on a comfortable mark, might be a little higher in and around Baker. As long as there is no blockage in the radiator an up hill drive will be fine too, several on the road to LV, you should not notice any rise in coolant temp.

Have fun!

BruceW

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I just did the trip from San Diego to Las Vegas and back, no problems. Some sections of I-15 around Barstow are undergoing construction and the road is rough so be prepared for a bouncy ride.
Enjoy
Bruce W

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

lmao, I drove to Fl nonstop in 16 hours last weekend :D actually I did stop at Risky Caffe for about an hour for some breakfast ;)

Is that the "cafe" by Ocala? I've always wanted to go in there :D By the way, I did a Miami run about three weeks ago, 8.5 hours. Little stiff at the end, but nothing that a little stretching wouldn't take care of!

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The long drive seems like no problem for the Viper. It's when you're in traffic on the strip that's tough. I was there last week and they were in the middle of 8 straight days over 110. Hoover Dam was 122 in the shade. The forecast is for 105-110 only next week! Oh well, it's better than a Ferrari in the heat.

MoparMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Be warned that we've been getting afternoon thunderstorms for a few days and they're predicting the same type of weather for at least the next week ([******] monsoon season). I would bet that your Viper is going to get rained on. Along with the rain we're supposed to get highs in the 105-110 range, but when it rains the temp drops alot.

picflight

Enthusiast
Reaction score

If you do get caught in rain be aware you can hydroplane at 50mph

Bill

How do you avoid that?
<ul type="square">
[*]Be gentle on the throttle? [*]Feel the car and point it in the direction you want to travel? [/list]

Magicboy2

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Hydroplaning is simply a matter of your tires being so wide that they can't cut a path through the water. As a result, they skim over the water and you get zero traction. Throttle has little to do with it...

150shot

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I'd watch out for the heat too, it's insane. It's brutal on any car, and watch out for the hills they are LONG, and most of the time it doesnt even seem like you're going up hill till you look back..

also- alot of Camaro CHP's out there..

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score

That hydro is something that can happen at a much lower speed than most guys would think. A thunderstorm would be just the place for it to take place.

I haven't driven my Kuhmo700s is rain but I'll bet they would be as bad as slicks.
Other than that, they are great.

MoparMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Also watch out for the long downhill right before you enter Nevada. The Calis like to get one more chance at busting you for speeding before you cross the state line.

Also, the NHP normally just leaves their radar on all the time so if you're using a detector you should get a good warning before you come up on a Nevada cop.