Tire Longevity

rcdice

Enthusiast
Reaction score
While I'm going to wait til spring, an upgrade to PS2's is inevitable for me. Not because my current Pilot Sports are worn, but because they've become hard and slippery with age.

With that said, two questions:

1. How long do a brand new set of tires (PS2's in this case) stay soft and provide the level of grip one expects from that particular tire?

2. Is there anyway to extend the time in question # 1.?

I don't drive my Viper enough miles per year to wear the tires out from use. It's been stated on this forum many times that tires harden with age and therefore lose some of their grip. How much time has to pass for that to happen? Can anything be done to slow the process down? I store my car for at least five months over the winter. Can something be done to the tires during this time to extend their useful life? Would coating the entire tire surface (sidewalls and tread) with Zaino # 16 Tire Gloss help? Airtight bag? Anything?

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
While I'm going to wait til spring, an upgrade to PS2's is inevitable for me. Not because my current Pilot Sports are worn, but because they've become hard and slippery with age.

With that said, two questions:

1. How long do a brand new set of tires (PS2's in this case) stay soft and provide the level of grip one expects from that particular tire?

2. Is there anyway to extend the time in question # 1.?

I don't drive my Viper enough miles per year to wear the tires out from use. It's been stated on this forum many times that tires harden with age and therefore lose some of their grip. How much time has to pass for that to happen? Can anything be done to slow the process down? I store my car for at least five months over the winter. Can something be done to the tires during this time to extend their useful life? Would coating the entire tire surface (sidewalls and tread) with Zaino # 16 Tire Gloss help? Airtight bag? Anything?

1) 5-6 years is optimal

2) No

When tires get old the compound breaks down on a molecular level. My best advice drive your car, I never had a set of tires last more then a year :drive:

Wild Bill

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Bob,

A little extra pressure from your right foot will solve the problem of not wearing your tires out fast enough.

HTH

Bill

OP
OP
R

rcdice

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You think they stay soft for 5-6 years? I was thinking they'd start losing grip in 2-3.

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You think they stay soft for 5-6 years? I was thinking they'd start losing grip in 2-3.

Unless you road race 5-6 years should be fine, when you buy a new set of Michelins always make sure you check the "born date" on the tire, it is on the sidewall in a oval shaped box. It will have a 4 digit # like 2507, which means it was made on the 25th week of 2007, obviously the later the better.

OP
OP
R

rcdice

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Unless you road race 5-6 years should be fine, when you buy a new set of Michelins always make sure you check the "born date" on the tire, it is on the sidewall in a oval shaped box. It will have a 4 digit # like 2507, which means it was made on the 25th week of 2007, obviously the later the better.

Good info, thanks!