tire rotation

Blazeone

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I like to rotate them until they smoke :rolaugh:

Other than that you can't rotate the tires as they are different sizes.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I assume that you mean put the lefts on the right and visa versa since the front tires are a different size than the back tires. Correct?

Shandon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a hard time steering with the rears up front. Seems like the hood is a little higher then also? I rotate the fronts and rears on my truck and suburban so im sure its the same with the viper:dunno:

Bandit3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No can do. Different sizes and the belts in the tires should only rotate in one direction--if you're thinking of left to right.

Shandon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No can do. Different sizes and the belts in the tires should only rotate in one direction--if you're thinking of left to right.

Whatever...:nono:
Naaaa no problem. I just have the shop use there "acme tire stretcher" and the 18's slide righ onto the 19"rims. The 19's have to be flash heated and then cooled rapidly to grab the 19"rim works like a charm. Its a process you know but works out great! I can get some serious tread wear this way. Isn't this the normal process?:fingersx:

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

Not Correct.

Merc asked of 2008 which is the NON-DIRECTIONAL Michelin PS2 or CUPS as OE

If you have PS2, (Or Kumho XS) you CAN rotate/swap the fronts, or swap the rears, left and right. The "OUTSIDE" shoulder is labeled, and will still stay OUTSIDE.
You do NOT have to dismount them.

On DIRECTIONAL OE tires as used 92-95 and 99-2006, you could NOT rotate without first dismounting the rubber.

Here ya go, courtesy of our fellow VCA sponsor TireRack...they even have a diagram of this type of rotation of 'today's modern tires': Tire Tech Information - Tire Rotation Instructions

Last edited:

Bandit3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Directional or not, radial tires should not be installed after use in the opposite direction.

VIPER R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What does the owners manual say? Heard the same comments on the Ford GT forum about not being able to rotate, however the GT owners manual says to do it.

BennyBad

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i change my cups from left to right every 2 or 3 events, since the manual states to do it to keep the wear even since each track will wear one side more than the other due to turn configurations. gotta make those puppies last.:)

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
i change my cups from left to right every 2 or 3 events, since the manual states to do it to keep the wear even since each track will wear one side more than the other due to turn configurations. gotta make those puppies last.:)

Good On ya Benny! I weigh 235, and even tho my cars are corner-weighted to my weight, the drivers side tires wear faster on my home, clockwise, track....

Zilla, yep CUPS are non-directional-assymetrical. I edited my goof.

Last edited:

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
What does the owners manual say? Heard the same comments on the Ford GT forum about not being able to rotate, however the GT owners manual says to do it.

Read the manual? Who does THAT ?!? [You sound like the old GrailKeeper! ]

Affatica

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I do the same. The wear becomes visibly evident as to which tires pull more duty after a few track days. In my opinion, it's just good common sense. :2tu:

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Directional or not, radial tires should not be installed after use in the opposite direction.

Michelin recommends rotation of non-directional tires from side to side and front to back. I would think that they are reputable enough not to recommend something that would cause problems.

I think that that opposite direction warning came from issues encountered in the previous century, perhaps on some specific brand of tire? :dunno:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang