Tire size

mchafin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Got a question for you guys. How would a 285/40 tire work on the front of a Viper? I put one next to what's on the car now (275/40) and it seems it may look funny since it's taller. Anyone ever try this. The reason I ask is that I got a hook up on the particular tire size very cheap.

Thanks,

Mike

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
285s up front are a great choice!

-1" wider footprint
-Crisper turn-in
-Better braking under heavy braking.
-1/2" chubbier rubber sidewall scrapes curb 1st, not the wheel itself
-fraction taller - negligable
-More aggressive stance.

Marv S

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
I think 285 is nice size but In comparing the 275*40*17 to the 285*40*17 I come up with different #'s:
<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
<LI>10mm wider = 0.39" (not 1.0")
<LI>The diameter is 25.7" vs 26.0"
<LI>Divide that by 2 'cuz there's "2 sidewall" measurements in the overall diameter
<LI>The difference in the sidewall to wheel measurement is only 0.15" (Not 0.5")
[/list]
I got the Measurements from: http://tires.michelin-us.com/assets/pdfs/doc_pilotsport.pdf

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JonB - PartsRack:
285s up front are a great choice!
-1" wider footprint
-Crisper turn-in
-Better braking under heavy braking.
-1/2" chubbier rubber sidewall scrapes curb 1st, not the wheel itself
-fraction taller - negligable
-More aggressive stance.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, I too am in the market and really need to shop for a new set of four. I am looking at the difference in sizes and especially price. I think I am more limited because of the 18" rims vs. 17". Does anybody make a tire that will fit the factory 18" rims besides Michelin? Don't get me wrong, I am happy with the tires and will probably replace them with the same (expensive) Pilot Sports. Definitely don't want to sacrifice safety. As an employee of one of the companies making a lot of news these days, I need to keep track of the pennies just in case. Definitely want to stay with a grippy, Z-rated tire. And yes, I have used the "search" keys for this site for prior research!
smile.gif

Love to hear a few other opinions - thanks in advance.

Chris