Tire Traction

DPViper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have been driving my SRT-10 on sunny (and cold days) and I have noticed the tires don't grip well when it is cold (I know, a big surprise). I talked to my local tire expert and he suggested "siping" the tires. I guess they have a machine that puts little cuts on the surface of the tire. Supposedly it helps traction and tread life. Anyone try this and did it work? Thanks

TriGuy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On my bicycle tires "sips" happen naturally when you run over small, sharp objects that don't actually puncture the tires but make small cuts in the tire tread (which are usually slicks on a road bike). I would guess it would be similar for an automobile tire. I sure wouldn't pay any money to have someone put small cuts in my tires. If you want 'em, just go run over some cut glass. :shocked:

SnakeEye

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Michelin Tire does not recommend siping as it can alter or corrupt the design criteria that were established for that tire.
It can cause excess noise, excess heat buildup, and it could ultimately cause damage to the tire. Your milage may vary.

sal3coach

Viper Owner
Reaction score
AS I understand it, the run-cr@ps are made of a harder rubber so they will hold up hence when cold they don't like to grip too well. Other softer tires are available...

Kai SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Non runflat Pilot Sports are the only alternative for the rear wheels.

If you go to 20 inch rears, you can get PS2s.

I just bought a full set of 18 inch SSR wheels and Pilot Sport Cup tires for track days, and am keeping my stock tires and runflats for everyday driving and open road racing.

Next on my wish list is a pair of SSR wheels and Nitto drag radials for my trips to the strip.

FLOORIN04

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think everyone should take there new runcraps off and send them to me free of charge. :D And i will dispose of them for you ;) (I will do my best to melt them) :2tu:

jrkermode

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Siping is the process of making little slices into the tread blocks. It's very common on winter tires, and, ironically, on rock-crawlers. The slices result in little edges which can provide some grip on their own and are especially good when it's wet and slippery (look at the bottom of a pair of deck shoes).

Why the diatribe? Siping also allows the tread blocks to move around. When the tread blocks squirm, the tire gets hot. Driving around in the dry on your siped tires may overheat them. That could be extremely dangerous. Don't sipe the tires.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dosen't it make sense that the guys who make the tires would make the little cuts if they were a good idea?

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
DPViper,

Siping is very common on off road or all terrain tires. The tires on my Jeep and F-250 are "siped" and have great traction in the wet, mud, snow, etc. These tires are not speed rated, however.

I would follow SnakeEye's and others advice. Don't cut your tires. I have major traction issues too. I am planning to buy a new set of rims and tires very soon, but would like to stick with stock sizes. (Paxton install, car back next week).

I believe, now that the Corvette has 19 inch rears, we will get a better selection of 19 inch tires. I will likely do as Kai is doing and get a set of tires for the track / street, probably PS2's when they become available in 19 inch sizes and a set of DOT approved slicks in 19's.

FYI, I have read that the regular pilot sports (non-run flats) offer a considerable improvement in ride and traction. Also, some of the track guys like the Kumhos. Sadly, they are not yet available in 19 inches either.

Question for the group, does anyone have experience with both Pilot Sports (non run flats) and PS2's? I wonder how they compare.

Good luck,

Dan

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Axial32