Tires on backwards. what will it do?

GotAViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well I have had my viper for 3 months I think. I just noticed a few weeks ago the tires were all on backwards, So I took it to fellow viper members house and got on the lift and swapped the tires around.

My question is, Now that they are on right will I notice any difference? I have been getting mixed answers here. The obvious one is that it will probably drive alot better in the rain with the tread going the right way, but I dont drive it in the rain so that doesnt matter. I have mich pilot sports on there. Just curious if I will launch any better now, turn better... or anything for that matter?

Silver Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The same amount of rubber is on the road so I would venture to say the only improvement will be in wet conditions.

Mark

OP
OP
G

GotAViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
what about wheel hop or anything is that a factor? like the tread not spinning the right way cause some kinda wrong friction maybe?

Motor City Mad Man

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hear if you put the tires on backwards it will make the speedometer spin backwards and take miles off the odometer. I'd keep it like that for awhile. :D But seriously though, it will definitely give you worse rain performance if you are running the Michelin Pilot Sports or other tires with a rain pattern. If I understand you correctly (that all the tires are on backwards), then all you would have to do to correct this problem is take all the tires off and switch the right side tires to the other side and vice versa and then the tires will be facing the correct direction. No need to take the tires off the rims, just take the lug nuts off and switch them. Problem solved. You do know how to change a tire, correct?

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did the car ride different after the switch?

Your tires looked fine, everything should be okay.

Nice clean car by the way.

Bill B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Quoted from the goodyear site:

Tires with a "directional" tread design are intended to roll and perform in a given direction. The sidewall will have arrows indicating the rolling direction for the tire. If installed in the wrong direction the tire will not perform its intended function. However, no damage or premature wear to the tire will result. The tire should be dismounted and remounted to roll in the proper direction.

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I accidentally did that for awhile on all corners.

The car felt as if the tires were slightly out of balance, and i noticed it especially during "spirited" driving on the highway. after i got them all switched around, the ride was smoother. not a great difference, but it was a slightly noticeable. :eek:

OP
OP
G

GotAViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah I switched them yesterday and haven't really notice a difference yet. I doubt i will.

Was concerned maybe it would affect the launch and turns. Beacuse thats when the pressure is put on them. I have only launched the car once and man, I couldnt keep that thing in a straight line the first 2 gears. I can feather the gas in my camaro and get it work but not used to the viper yet.

What RPM do you recommend launching at? and i take it, it needs some serious "feathering" of the gas pedal with street tires?

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What RPM do you recommend launching at?
If launching to acheive maximum acceleration, 2500-3000rpm is the range you want to be in. If launching to impress your camaro buddies :D , 3500rpm and upwards should do it.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Were the wheels on backwards as well? If so the spokes would have been pumping the air from outside towards the inside for brake cooling. That should reduce the air flow for reduced cooling, but may reduce brake dust as well.

I think most of the directional benefit is for wet road driving. Mounted backwords the tread design would not pump water out very well, and provide poor wet traction. On dry I have no idea.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang