tires

special ed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
have 96 rt/10 was wondering what tires to put on car for some street use and track use. can get set of new pilots for 1100. and was wondering if i should go that route

thanks ed
96 rt/10

Gavin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Whether you go with pilots or some other tire, you want to confirm the tire is of recent manufacture.

Current theory is that a tire starts to degenerate from day one, so a tire that is 4 years old is not as new as one that was manufactured 6 months ago and will not have the grip of the more recently manufactured tire.

I run 5-6 open track event a year and have stuck with the Michelin Pilot Sports - it is a fabulous tire once you get it up to temperature - REPEAT, ONCE YOU GET IT UP TO TEMPERATURE.

If it is not up to temp - the car will bite you.
I generally replace the tires after 4-5 weekends - they are just no good after that, even if there is tread left.

I've stayed with the street tires to keep operating costs down and.... the wear and tear on the car is less than if I was running slicks.

Its about fun, and if you can't have fun with these cars on street tires......then I dunno!
Having said that it is awful tempting to go play on slicks!!!!

So go buy the Pilot sports - 17" or 18" I run 17"s , my buddy in his ACR runs 18's and we run very similar times. Frankly its the guy behind the wheel that makes the difference. We have guys that simply out run us - they are great drivers and get the most out of these awsome cars.

Its the old story!
Luck
Gavin

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you want the best "stick" wait a couple of weeks till the Michelin Cup tires come out in Viper sizes. Saw one at WSIR yesterday 80 treadwear, VERY sticky.