Tires???

TexasSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've read several threads regarding tires and I'm still confused at to which ones to get. I know it depends on many variables such as intended use, temp, etc... I'm looking for the stickiest tire they make that is not a slick and that can still be used on street. I don't care about tire life because I don't put many miles on my car anyway. Please offer some personal experiences which you believe can help me make a decision.

Thanks in advance,
Justin

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would say the Kumho's given my expoeriences to date with PS, PS cups and Kumhos. Cups were fine in the summer but lacking in colder weather. I have heard good words about Toyos but have not tried them.

OP
OP
T

TexasSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would say the Kumho's given my expoeriences to date with PS, PS cups and Kumhos. Cups were fine in the summer but lacking in colder weather. I have heard good words about Toyos but have not tried them.

Does Khumo offer tire sizes for 19/18 inch setup (factory)? Also, are Khumos better than the cups in warm weather?

Thanks

Hiss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No 19" in Kumho-wish they did.

I have the 19" cups on the rear of my 2006 coupe. A good sticky tire especially in warm weather. As mentioned by GR8 it does take more warm up in cool weather to get them to stick. In about another month I will be able , in some pretty cool weather, to see just how they perform.

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Michelin Pilot Cups come in the right sizes, you can even go 295 front and 345 rear like an ACR. PS2's are a 220 treadwear rating while the Cups are a sticky 80 treadwear. I'm not sure if a Hoosier R3SO6 comes in a 19", it's street legal but barely and has a 40 treadwear rating.

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like your best bets in stock 18 and 19 sizes will be either (1) the Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 (advantage: almost the dry grip of the Cups and better wet weather performance and treadwear) or (2) the Sport Cups (better dry grip but need to be warmed up more fpr optimal performance also more finnicky in terms of air pressures).

/Rich

VicTxV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are you still running with the stock run flats? I put on new PS2's last week and they made a world of difference. It's like you feel the car, hard to explain but it's like the car and tires are all working together. They stick a lot more than the run flats also.

cheryl mccally

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've had the run flats, PS2s, and Sport Cups all on the street and the track. I know you will like the Cups better if you plan to do both. They give you the best of both worlds and last 9,000 miles if you don't track much. If you're just driving on the street all the time go with the
PS2s. I trying the Hoosier's next tire buy. I have friends that use those on the track and swear by them but they don't use them on the street at all.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I'm looking for the stickiest tire they make that is not a slick and that can still be used on street......................I was hoping to hear from someone that has ran the Hoosiers as well...

"Mutually Exclusive" The Hoosiers fit, but are de-facto slicks. Potholes will chunk them. And they get coated-embedded with sand and leaves and ciggie butts on the street. Then they dont stick so well! GREAT FOR PURE TRACK

Get the CUPS... $1799/set SRT10 OE. In Stock. Thanks [email protected]

You must be registered for see images

Safety Note: If you put grippy CUPS on the rear, and SOBs on the front, all is OK in a straight line. But when the dog or deer or kid runs out, or the ***** veers out, or debris sits in the roadway, you can quickly 'overdrive' or overcorrcet the mis-matched fronts.

ON TRACK your senses are 110% focused and your software (brain) can deal with a mismatch. On the highway, IF you are even 70% focused you are an amazing exception. DONT MIS-MATCH TIRES to save a few bucks. Mistakes start at $10K

Last edited:

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Are you still running with the stock run flats? I put on new PS2's last week and they made a world of difference. It's like you feel the car, hard to explain but it's like the car and tires are all working together. They stick a lot more than the run flats also.

testimonial # 2177 !!

Easy to explain, PS2 vs the RunFlats you had.

1) PS2 are lighter, equivalent of taking off combat boots for Nike Airs.
2) Sidewalls FLEX so the ride and handling improves
3) Grippier tread blocks (3 kinds) and the outer shoulders are the most grippy
4) The above allow shocks, steering rack, bushings, brakes to work and feel 'nimble'

Canyon707

Enthusiast
Reaction score
testimonial # 2177 !!

Easy to explain, PS2 vs the RunFlats you had.

1) PS2 are lighter, equivalent of taking off combat boots for Nike Airs.
2) Sidewalls FLEX so the ride and handling improves
3) Grippier tread blocks (3 kinds) and the outer shoulders are the most grippy
4) The above allow shocks, steering rack, bushings, brakes to work and feel 'nimble'
Jon, In total agreement PS2's are a wold apart from the run flats. So much nicer better riding better everything. :2tu:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte