To everone who has an Autoform front splitter!

Sniper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Let me start off by saying that this is one exceptionally great looking piece.
But it isn't without it's downfalls.
One, it lowers the front end of your car tremendously.
Two, it's made of fiberglass.
So, if you hit the pavement with it, you lose whatever piece you made contact with the ground as I found out on my car.
I thought about what I could do to prevent this. I thought of Sean Roe's stick pads but they won't protect the lip.
RHINO LINING!!!
$200 to line the whole bottom and lip of the splitter. This way if the road makes contact, you have some protection. Plus, if it takes a chunk out of the liner, it'll cost $5 to repair.
It makes the splitter a little heavier but more sturdy, too.
I had mine sprayed on 1/4" thick.
13MVC-002S-med.JPG

13MVC-003S-med.JPG

13MVC-004S-med.JPG

Clown Shoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Matt I really like the tranformation you posted on your car, so much that I am about ready to order the front spoiler. Should I or shouldnt I. I live in N.Y. where roads are like crap.
Ghetto

S

SUN RA KAT

I may want to do that to my stock front fascia. I have bug splats on the underside of mine that Soylent Green Detergent and a power washer can't get off.
I have a flat driveway and I sometimes scrape just backing out, too. The black Rhino Liner would look good on my Yellow Viper - matches the tires and the interior - and would be almost invisible on the underside. Thanks for the tip!

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I would put the 3M clear bra on it. All the splitters that I have seen like that get a lot of knicks from rocks. The 3 M will protect it

jkracer9

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You are going to have to learn how to take the drive way areas at an angle. I have had mine for over a year and the under side has its hits but you can't see them unless the Viper is on a rack. Touch-up paint works great for the small nicks. I think that they look great and worth the trouble. :cool:

Bob K

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the splitter as well and really like it. I don't think it makes the front end lower, it just sticks out much farther. Two hours after I put it on I hit a slight dip in the road and scratched the under side, ARRGH! Later I hit a piece of metal on the road (thought it was a leaf!) and put a big nick in it. It was patched and painted and now you can't tell.
I think its a great piece, and with the Hennessey wing, many people think it's a 650R.
Now I'm messing with the Autoform roof scoop (like Ab's). I'm going to modify it so that it looks functional - if I can get the [******] thing off. That double-sided stuff they supply with it is very sticky. I can't imagine it flying off at speed.

Bob K

OP
OP
Sniper

Sniper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
GhettoViper- The front spoiler is a must for appearance.
But as for anyone else who says it's not that bad on bottoming out, I have very different opinions. Look at my photos and you can see it sits alot lower and further out. With my tennis shoe on, I cannot stick my foot all the way underneath of the spoiler. My guess is 3 1/2" from the ground and 3" further out than factory facia. Like I said, I took the car out and was extremely careful, but I still ended up taking a little chunk out of the splitter. Remember, this thing is fiberglass. Once it touches pavement at a decent speed, it's just like sticking it in a grinder.
That being said, I couldn't live without it which is why I took it to Rhino Lining.
As for color paint to match, Rhino had this option for $350 more. Three reasons why I stayed with black. 1)You're not going to see it once on the car. 2)The front lip would obviously look thick which with black, will be hidden. 3)Everytime you patch it from bottoming out will run you a heck of alot more $ than $5 to repair.
Also, the comment on rock chips on the splitter. If you're talking about the lip of the splitter, I Rhino Lined mine. If you're talking about the whole splitter, what's any different than the front facia?

John Johns

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm making an undersplitter out of ABS plastic for mine. Attachment will be a challenge, probably a combo of glue and screws. Suggestions?

OP
OP
Sniper

Sniper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I will post pics once back on, but I am trying to figure out how to black out the air duct holes with something that will be permanent. Any suggustions?

jimandela

Enthusiast
Reaction score
matt
where did you get the Rhino lining?
is like truck bed lining?
and why dont you put black tape over the holes the rhino over the tape
creating a permanent covering.

Jim :)

GASDOC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I applied 3M clear shield to the entire front and bottom of the splitter,I've been on the race track several times and not a single chip.The splitter paint will chip more easily than the stock paint as I found out after the 1st few days of driving.I applied black tape at the area behind the brake duct hole,it can be removed anytime and looks much better than nothing.Hit a curb with the splitter while parking and its goodbye ,it will break right off.I'm on my second one now. :usa:

Anthony - 98 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How is this splitter installed?

Does it just "rest" on the inside of the bottom lip of the front facia and bolt on both sides - inside the wheel wells??

OP
OP
Sniper

Sniper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jim-that's exactly what it is, Rhino truck bed lining and I don't know if that would work with the tape.

Anthony-that's exactly how it installs. Very easy.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte