To my shock, my used 04 kas KW's and rides TERRIBLE...

1DumpedViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We'll I finally put my H&W Hub adapters on and it came out great! (I took pics but something is wrong with my computer, wont load from the camera). When they took the wheels off I looked at the suspension and to my SHOCK it said KW on them.

I bought this car 1.5 months ago and the ride is horrific. It bounces, feels like it has no travel, and absorbes no bumps. The car is pretty low, so I had thought the previous owner had put eibachs on their. I couldnt believe my eyes when I saw KW on the coilvers. My 06
had Motons on it, was lower, and rode better than stock!

I looked everywhere and couldnt find any adjustemnt knobs, does KW sell coil overs that dont adjust?

What is the best shop in Orange County to take this car in to have the suspension looked at? There is something going on here I have to get adressed? I will keep trying to upload the pics, I love these adapters, make the car very agressive looking.

GTLaser

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What color was the spring? I have KW's and they bounced like an old mattress until I stiffened up the settings....

OP
OP

1DumpedViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What color was the spring? I have KW's and they bounced like an old mattress until I stiffened up the settings....

They are yellow. I took some pics with my cell but they didnt come out. They look exactly like the ones in Uloose's post. I definatley need to have a Viper suspension shop look at it. There is NO WAY that a car with 3k worth of coil overs should ride like this. I looked and I couldnt find any round adjustment knob on the shocks, I wonder if KW sells non adjustables?

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Your best bet would be to take it to DC performance in LA. Dan Cragin has huge experience in setting up Vipers with various suspensions to both ride and handle well.

If you would rather go to temecula there are other options. PM Me for details.

OP
OP

1DumpedViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Your best bet would be to take it to DC performance in LA. Dan Cragin has huge experience in setting up Vipers with various suspensions to both ride and handle well.

If you would rather go to temecula there are other options. PM Me for details.

PM Sent, thanks Paul.

Reaction score
The tires are not rubbing because youare on the bumpstops all the time. If you had travel the front would be hitting and probably the rears to IMO.

OP
OP

1DumpedViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The tires are not rubbing because youare on the bumpstops all the time. If you had travel the front would be hitting and probably the rears to IMO.

Why do you assume the car is sitting on the bumpstops? My blue 06 that you set up was MUCH lower and rode like a champion (Also had an aggressive offset and didnt rub). To your knowledge, can you not go as low on the KW's as you can on the Motons?

Reaction score
I don't think the KW bodies are as short, but you should be able to check if there is any travel left. The Motons were a far better, more efficient shock though that's why the ride better. If you were not on the bump stops at that height you would be rubbing the fender liners over rolling bumps at speed or during hard cornering. My stock offset wheels with Hoosiers would touch the fender lip and the liner even with 950# springs so I can't see how your not, but this is just my opinion remember.

OP
OP

1DumpedViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't think the KW bodies are as short, but you should be able to check if there is any travel left. The Motons were a far better, more efficient shock though that's why the ride better. If you were not on the bump stops at that height you would be rubbing the fender liners over rolling bumps at speed or during hard cornering. My stock offset wheels with Hoosiers would touch the fender lip and the liner even with 950# springs so I can't see how your not, but this is just my opinion remember.

Looks like I better start saving my Pesos a little faster. I LOVED my Motons. I will call you hopefully at the end of the month.:2tu:

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
According to Mark, Motons are no longer being produced. The team that made them has begun work on a newer, and more advanced technology shock.

Mark is tracking this new development and may have something even better than motons in the future.

OP
OP

1DumpedViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
According to Mark, Motons are no longer being produced. The team that made them has begun work on a newer, and more advanced technology shock.

Mark is tracking this new development and may have something even better than motons in the future.

Theres a couple of new sets still floating around. If DC returns my PM, I will probably drive it up there and see if they can get it sorted out. The car is used and hasnt had the best care so I should probably have it gone through anyway.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bet your Viper comes back driving like a dream.

Nothing like having a highly experienced Viper team go over your Viper.

Be sure to spend some time explaining just what your concerns are, as well as your expectations.

For the best ride/handling possible, consider having your Viper corner weight balanced, where each shock is individually adjusted so each tire carries the same amount of weight. Also ask about precision 4 wheel alignment, that takes a specialized Viper only tool.

OP
OP

1DumpedViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bet your Viper comes back driving like a dream.

Nothing like having a highly experienced Viper team go over your Viper.

Be sure to spend some time explaining just what your concerns are, as well as your expectations.

For the best ride/handling possible, consider having your Viper corner weight balanced, where each shock is individually adjusted so each tire carries the same amount of weight. Also ask about precision 4 wheel alignment, that takes a specialized Viper only tool.

I will absolutley do that, pm sent. Thanks Paul

ulllose

Viper Owner
Reaction score
1dumbedviper-------I just saw this thread, we should combine ours...lol Sounds like we our both having the exact same issues and I see you are on ps2's with the six spokes.

I was starting to think it may have something to do with my forgelines 19/20's on the Pirelli p-zeros, but may be able to rule that out. Might just come down to having the car at this height like mjorgensen said. Ill be pissed that i didnt by the motons if this is the case

ulllose

Viper Owner
Reaction score
And the tiny little adjustment is at the very top of the shock right under where it bolts up. You have to adjust it by putting a very small allen wrench in the hole and turn it clockwise or counterclockwise. you will see it if you get your dome close enough :)lol very hard to see if you dont have the wheel off, but once you know where it is at it can be down by just jacking car up and putting arm in between wheel well and tire

OP
OP

1DumpedViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1dumbedviper-------I just saw this thread, we should combine ours...lol Sounds like we our both having the exact same issues and I see you are on ps2's with the six spokes.

I was starting to think it may have something to do with my forgelines 19/20's on the Pirelli p-zeros, but may be able to rule that out. Might just come down to having the car at this height like mjorgensen said. Ill be pissed that i didnt by the motons if this is the case

Bro, its NOT your wheels and tires! They will only effect the ride so much. I just ditched 7 year old runflats and lost 70lbs of unsprung weight and it changed the ride VERY little. I also had 19/20's on my blue 06 with Motons and it was much lower than yours and rode like a dream. Its the KW's, plain and simple. I am going to A&C this Friday afternoon to see if I can get it sorted out. I am going to try going full firm and see what that does, then I will try full soft. I will also be getting an agressive alignement as well.

BTW your absolutley right. Why the hell spend $3200 on aftermarket Coil Overs just to raise the car?????????? You could have put Eibachs and Caps on and saved a bunch of money! I will give everyone an update Friday night. I am going to have Todd go through the entire suspension!

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Todd is a good guy, and knows his business.

He has just moved his shop, so can set up everything just right.

Expect to have a smooth riding and well handling Viper when you leave his place.

For those who have 19/20 wheels, the new Pilot SuperSports ride smoother and handle better than the Nitto's, and should be considered for those looking for a smoother and well controlled ride.

OP
OP

1DumpedViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Todd is a good guy, and knows his business.

He has just moved his shop, so can set up everything just right.

Expect to have a smooth riding and well handling Viper when you leave his place.

For those who have 19/20 wheels, the new Pilot SuperSports ride smoother and handle better than the Nitto's, and should be considered for those looking for a smoother and well controlled ride.

Todd is a good dude and very fair in his pricing. We will be talking about an aggressive heads/cam package while I'm there. Thanks for all your advice and insite.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang