Top 10 Tips to Driving the Viper?

DanAuito

Enthusiast
Reaction score
O.K. Gents, I'm picking up a 98 RT/10 Next week, I've been reading along and putting all the great advice in the frontal lobe here for reference once I get behind the wheel, granted this car will kill an idiot in a heartbeat so I'm looking for techniques and words of wisdom for proper and safe operation of the beast.

One guy mentioned never flooring it unless you're going straight, another mentioned breaking long before a turn to avoid putting the weight up front and losing steering control in the turn. Those are two rules that are easy to understand! Another mentioned Viper driving school (good advice)How about 7 more for good measure.

I'd rather hear it from you than find out the hard way. Thanks in advance. Dan

red98RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1. be very careful to monitor speed on long trips...no cruise so car speed will creep up fast.
2. Don't let anyone drive your car unless you REALLY trust them, especially valet's, etc.
3. Drive with the top off, windows down, and radio off so you can listen to the engine growl (after adding the corsa cat-back exhaust).
4. Don't race every car that tries to draw you in
5. Find a local drag racing track for when you want to shut people up.
6. Don't try to hold a drink between your legs when driving (opt for bottled drinks if necessary).
7. These cars make a lot of noises...learn what is normal so you can tell quickly when something changes.
8. Park in well visible areas but not in the middle of crowded areas.
9. Don't insult people or do anything [too] rude while in your car. People will easily find the car later and add keymarks etc when you aren't around.
10. Always remember to enjoy yourself and to talk to other enthusiasts....people will remember your kindness.

This probably wasn't exactly what you were looking for but it's my 0.02

Congrats on the '98 RT, you picked the best one of the bunch!! :2tu:

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Make a habit of checking and frequently tighteniing the power steering reservoir filler cap. Or better yet, get the fix it kit from Sean Roe. I'm doing the former but ought to get off my butt and do the latter.

:usa:

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Learn how to get in and out gracefully so you don't look like a putz.

V 10 MAFIA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Shift Smoothly

Be careful flooring it in cold weather (60 degrees or below)car reacts very differently than higher temps.

Don't let other push your buttons on the road. You have nothing to prove, your driving a fcking Viper. If you must race and have something to prove (which I don't recommend on the street) my opinion is to give the other car the leave and then pull it down. If you can pull a couple of cars past theirs, there will be no question in his/her mind that your car wasn't faster since they had the start. (they also can't use the excuse that you got the jump on them).

Do not race with traffic ahead. As you usually do not know if the ***** your racing knows how to stop and may cause a wreck with traffic ahead only for you to get pulled into it (legally and physically).

Enjoy people that admire the car and be aware of the people that hate you for having it. Get use to idiots tailgating even though you may be driving 15mph over the speed limit already.

TURN CELL PHONE OFF WHEN DRIVING

Do not drive over 90MPH per Chuck Tator and Manual, for you do not want front of top dismantling, flipping over and smashing/thrashing into your rear trunk lid causing wonderful kinds of damage.

2001 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As long as you just take it easy you'll be fine, not a hard car to drive at all.

Be aware of what is going on around you and hopefully you can get your big head out of the car after the trip :laugh:

hemibeep

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The gas gauge is slow to change. If on a long trip, don't wait too long to top off.

ByteMe

Viper Owner
Reaction score
As per red98RT10, noises to get used to are:
1. Neutral Gear Rattle - occurs with clutch in or out - can be partially fixed with correct transmission oil replacement
2. Car runs rough in idle, as my wife says, like it is really ready to go
3. Steering changes at low speed make more noise than most cars I've driven
4. "Awesome car" - this often occurs whether or not the car is running

OP
OP
D

DanAuito

Enthusiast
Reaction score
O.K. You guys are on the ball here, let me try and get this into something I can remember:

#1. Never floor it unless going straight and pay attention in colder weather 60’ or less.
#2. Try to break early before hard turns to avoid loss of control.
#3. Monitor speed to avoid it creeping up on long trips. (Fuel up frequently)
#4. Pay attention to the noises your car makes and inspect it regularly, ie… Power steering cap etc…
#5.Remember not to blow your soft top at 90+ MPH.
#6. If you have to race let the other guy get the jump then pass him, track racing is best, never race with traffic ahead.
#7. Learn to deal with all types of Viper reactions, Admirers, Haters, Racers, Kids, etc…
#8. Practice smooth exit and entrance to avoid being a DORKFISH and fuel is on the left.

Hey that’s only 8!

hemibeep

Viper Owner
Reaction score
#9, get used to correctly shifting, I still can't do it...push over to right while mowing through the gears....

I haven't went from 2 back to 1st(instead of 3rd) at speed since last saturday. (not recommended).

Also this can happen from 5th back to 4th(instead of 6th), also at speed

OP
OP
D

DanAuito

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe # 8 should read, Practice exiting, entering and shifting to avoid DORKFISH syndrome from further occurrence.

Maybe we should also add fasten seat belt, but I guess that GOES WITHOUT SAYING!

V 10 MAFIA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Stay far behind the Spirit.

Yes, how could I possibly forget the Spirit. It consist of one becomming possessed causing them to drive way above and beyond their own ability. The "Spirit of Les" termed by many, usually occurs when several Vipers are driving together. These otherwise sane and normal law abiding citizens experience a possession of insanity as they glance deep into the speedometers triple digits, perform UFO like manuevers and think nothing of it. In this Viper crazy train, drivers are doing stunts and **** they never dreamt possible as the Spirit takes hold. They feel almost as if the hand of god can't catch them. Try to resist the Spirit at all cost. It will not be easy to resist this serpently dangerous behavior when it sets in. Here is a rare captured image of the "Spirit of Les" upon us.
7328viper_167-med.jpg

Glad I could make you aware of this very hidden threat.

tzoid

Enthusiast
Reaction score
very most important, to me, is do not ever juice it when you are making a slow turn from a stop...the back comes around very, very fast on you and you'll lose control, besides look like a dork.

OP
OP
D

DanAuito

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OH the spirit, I get it now. Give me my corndog! The picture above illustrates your point very well, I'm almost crying over here with laughter looking at Les on Less.

#10. Don't think your invincible when driving with the pack.

P.S. Tzoid, Point taken on no juice out of slow turns! TX

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you're brave enough to drive in the rain, be in a gear higher than you would normally be. This will keep you from accelerating too abruptly and lose control.

OP
OP
D

DanAuito

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Any Viper days driving schools scheduled in Florida for this summer folks?

Rain is the biggest drag of all Warfang, but your advice for it will come in handy for the inevitable squalls in life. TX.

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Any Viper days driving schools scheduled in Florida for this summer folks?

Rain is the biggest drag of all Warfang, but your advice for it will come in handy for the inevitable squalls in life. TX.

As long as you drive in fear during the rain, you'll be ok. In reality, it's not all that bad, other than the realization that you'll need to wash the mud off, but keep these tips in mind everytime you drive, and you'll do ok. :2tu:

by the way, if you drive at night and see a blinding flash to your side, don't freak out... it's just some idiot taking pictures of your snake :D

BarbaraAnn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My kids will inherit my Vipers (not soon,I hope), and I've put some conditions on them: They have to have garages to keep them in, and they must solemnly swear that they won't work on them! A trained Viper tech is just indispensable, whether for "something small" or a major modification.

02 Graphite GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One thing I noticed very quickly is that the car will drift with the grooves in the road. Driving the freeways at speed limit (plus a little ) ;) , the car really follows the road and two hands on the wheel is needed to keep the car under control......so NO TALKING ON THE CELL PHONE!

Reaction score
1. Join The VCA, Look ahead where you want to go, Brake in a straight line, do not drive aggressive when you do not know the conditions (Road surface conditions, tires are cold, traffic, etc.), be smooth adding power and be very carful adding power in a turn.
2. Take a day Skip Barber Driving school.
3. Repeat #2
4. Go to Viper Days (at Sebring in a couple weeks)
5. Repeat #3
6. Repeat #4
7. Repeat #3
8. Repeat #4
9. Repeat #3
10. Repeat #4

1. through 10. will maximize your Viper ownership experience.

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The price of your VCA membership will save you the same amount at Skip Barber, not to mention a whole lot of other Viper parts dealers... you can't go wrong! :2tu:

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I guess it depends on the tires you have....

But those big tires will hydroplane on a raining wet highway.

Keep that in mind if you get caught on a highway in a downpour.
I've heard reports of serious hydro at 60 mph on a road where normal cars are having no problem.

Wild Bill

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Check the build date on the tires-if they are more than 3 years old replace them. When I bought my 98 Viper it had original tires on it; when I replaced them I was amazed at the difference.

And yes-you can hydroplane at 60-been there/done that. Not a fun experience

Bill

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Axial32