top gear?

quickysrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
their is a british show called top gear, which puts to the test pretty much every exotic car. just wondering if they have reviewed the viper on that show?

AlvaSpeed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I used to watch it on BBC.
The best car show.
Is that show still going on? What times?
The fastest car on the track (the last time I saw the show)
was the Lamborghini Murcielago.

Autostream

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have all 40 something episodes since their new format and I dont remember ever seeing a viper. I can tell you that they consider it a bit too insane to be a sports car. Clarkson likes it for what it is. The Vipers forte is drag racing and the brits dont care too much about that. I've seen clarkson only once at the strip in a 1000hp skyline. Their best picks are always light, nimble, good handling, good braking, comfortable cars that wont kill you if you make a mess around an apex.

Interestingly, he (And i say he, because he writes and runs the show) did put the corvette in a few comparo shoots stating it was the best america had to offer.

p.s. Since the Ford GT is out now, you can now def expect to never see a viper. Even though the specs are identical to the srt-10, clarkson fell in love with the GT and bought it the second he drove it.

dennis

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They once had a steel gray GTS running against a modified Nissan Micra. Other than that, I only listen seriously to Tiff... He's the one who can drive.

Autostream

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The fastest car on the track (the last time I saw the show)
was the Lamborghini Murcielago.

haha, you missed a few shows. The lambo was the first car they ever tested (along with the zonda)
But since then the Porsche GT3 blow it away by a whole second. And then the $350,000 Mclaren Mercedes Blitzed that. But the SLR still isnt even the fastest car they've ever tested...... this is..
http://autostreamfilms.com/images/video/Autostream-Carreragt.wmv

Autostream

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They once had a steel gray GTS running against a modified Nissan Micra. Other than that, I only listen seriously to Tiff... He's the one who can drive.

ru talking about the one where the chick drove the viper? I saw one like that on 5th gear, not top gear. Cant say I ever saw clarkson in a viper and I have all 15 or so of his movie's and all his TG episodes.
I like Clarkson better, his personality, his opinions, his journalism, etc. As far as who is a better driver I have no idea. Its impossible to tell by watching them drive. Unless they went up agaisnt each other on a timed course which I never heard of so far. Clarkson admits tiff is good at his 'drifting stuff' but that is just a style of driving.

fluffy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Vipers forte is drag racing and the brits dont care too much about that.
That's the problem: Vipers aren't drag racers, they are set up first and foremost as track machines. If Top Gear were to take an honest look at a Viper or Z06 they would see that they are very competitive on their little track. They test Audi A6s, they test Mazda RX8s, they test the piggish 350Z. But since in their minds American cars are only good on the drag strip (and I'm sure they would like to hold on to that delusion) the only American car you will ever see on their track is the Ford GT (with generous exposition to extol its British design, of course). I enjoy the show, but the incredible bias shown by the limeys can get pretty tiresome.

dennis

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Viper was in a best off special... Dunno, maybe you're right and it was 5th gear... It's too hard to remember.

I have a video of Clarkson in a black RT.

Neil - UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Never been a SRT on Top Gear, yet, some on DC get your act sorted ! NOW
all the other manufacturers readily supply cars for them to thrash, I mean test

TG did a gen1 around the streets of detroit a while back

Fifth Gear has had gen2 snipets, **** Vicki Butler (met her once at a Brit GT race)against a nissan - which was faster, heavily modded. She was supposed to race in the GT's in a girlie ********* team, in a GTS-R last year but it all fell through at the last minute :(

Tiff is the much better driver if anyone has seen him drift or race around a handling circuit, he used to race for Lister and Teach Jeremy C all the driving tricks before leaving Top Gear

JC loves vipers he went to church in a RT when he got married and left 2 long tyres marks on the road after the ceremony

Autostream

Enthusiast
Reaction score
everyone agrees including them that they are biased towards english cars. But its not in an unfair way. It just because they ARE english and so prefer the english look and feel and ambiance of ranges, jags, and astons.

But the best part about the show is that they give real honest tests. If the car is completely awful they will tell you. Not here, caranddriver tv, motortrend tv, and motorweek to name a few all sound like adverts. They will almost never critice a car and so whats the point.

Clarkson is very honest. He doesnt like german cars for one. He said he wanted to hate the gallardo, but it is better than any current ferrari. He hates 911's with a passion because on a road course the worse place to put an engine is in the back, but he admits the new turbo and GT3 have the best chassis of any car he's ever driven, ever.

He did mention britain with his gt piece because the gt40 was built there. But he knows the new one is all american and he still likes it,lol.

as for your viper comment on their track: its will be much the same story as the 350z. It will hold its own among other cars on the track in the same price range but he wont recommend it because thats just not enough. He's gonna say something like "it hauls ass like no other and for 2 hours on a sunday-cant be beat, but since its cramped and theres no room for my left leg and the tires are too wide that they make it twitchy at high speeds, I'd rather a 911 for the same price cuz it still goes 175mph and you can drive it to work everyday np." Thats how he thinks.

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Isnt Tiff an ex Le Mans racer? Id think that qualifies him as the better driver....Saw an episode of him and the Enzo....In his first time in the Enzo he was only 4 seconds slower than the great Dario. ..Ferrari test driver extrordinaire....Thats with only 3 laps learning curve if I remember correctly...

Tiff is the driver......Clarkson is the personality.....I love both but I find myself more connected to Top Gear then Fifth Gear even with that cutie on Fifth Gear...Maybe the Stig[Perry] is French :ooo: You know anything that puts up a fight they wont deal with..So no Vipers for the Stig lol...

I sent an email to the show asking about doing a GTS/SRT vs Europe deal...

If you want to send an email heres the link to the "have your say" page...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/topgear/haveyoursay/

Neil - UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
been trying to get tickets for the day and be in the audience, to watch the filming they are quite hard to get hold of

Yep, Tiff did drive at Lemans

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would love to aquire the top gear episodes(VHS or DVD) it is not shown in the USA at all a far as i can tell anyone who might be able to help let me know, thanks mike

Kai SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I saw his episode on the Ford GT. On that episode, he did said that that Americans had never made a car that can go around corners well (other than the GT.) This surprises me, because every professional/semi-professional driver who has driven my SRT-10 has said that it goes around corners very well. In fact, I was going around corners at the track today, generating some pretty high g-forces for a car that many dismiss as a straight-line drag racer.

I've got several of the top gear episodes, but I've never seen a Viper on the show. The one of him driving the McLaren F1 is priceless, just listening to his voice get more and more excited is pretty entertaining.

We've really got nothing comparable in the way of a car show here in America. I wonder why not? Seems like there is a market for it. I haven't seen any made in the USA car shows that are any good.

Kai

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah the Exige vid kicked ****......One of my favourite vids is the one with the Lambo test driver scaring the pants of Jeremy...He was driving a Lambo Diablo barchetta....That is how you drive a Lambo....One of the few car vids I can watch over and over and still get goose bumps watching it....

Neil - UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
it a weekly sunday show, so its on tonight, the guy above will no doubt have the best bits on his site tomorrow, stay tuned .....

Jeremy Clarkson, James May and Richard Hammond visit Pendine Sands in Wales to race a BMW 6 Series, a Porsche 911 and a Jaguar XKR, while Johnny Vaughan and Denise Van Outen (JK's ex girlfriend) are the Stars in a Reasonably Priced Car

OP
OP
Q

quickysrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the carrera gt has the fastest lap time i think. just saw the vid. i think think they should do a comparison of the srt10 vs carrera gt since they are both *******, or ford gt vs srt10(imo).

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the carrera gt has the fastest lap time i think. just saw the vid. i think think they should do a comparison of the srt10 vs carrera gt since they are both *******, or ford gt vs srt10(imo).

Yeah it has the fastest time.....What I dont understand is why Jeremy said the only car available now that is a match for the CGT is the Merc Mclaren SLR :confused: What happened to the Enzo? It seems to me to be a natural match even though on is a coupe and one is a vert..

BTW a CGT would kill an SRT10...It wont be close...the FGT would be a better race but it would probably still lose. A Z06 is lapping as fast as SRT10's from what Ive read so I doubt it will be in the same league as the CGT or FGT.....The rumored Carbon Coupe concept with 625hp would be a match for anything.....

Autostream

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the enzo are all gone, you cant buy one so whats the point of testing one?

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the enzo are all gone, you cant buy one so whats the point of testing one?

With your line of reasoning why test any limited edition model :rolleyes: We wouldnt know anything about the Merc Mclaren SLR or Konigsegg or Zonda or Mclaren F1 etc since they are already sold out or out of production...need I go on?

RavenFan_94

Viper Owner
Reaction score
This is the same show that reviewed the Koenesigg(sp)? If so, yes it is a great show... I'll have to find some DL's of the programs.

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ya... There right... The Z06 and Viper are horrible track cars :rolleyes:

The bottom line is this - If they gave them a FAIR shot, they would beat the Euro cars that cost double on a typical road course. It happens all the time in the good 'ole USA track days across the country. If you guys buy into any of this BS, you are CRAZY!

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, most British auto-journalism is horribly biased, and these guys are certainly no exception. I figure that when the Viper is released as a coupe and the C6 Z06 Corvette comes out, they might take a look at them. Or perhaps continue to ignore them. :eek:

-Dean.

Neil - UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
there isnt a official SRT the UK, you cant even buy them through Chrysler at the moment! The UK MD hasnt even got yet, although there is supposed to one on the way for him. There a are few personal imports that have mae it over, including a white mamba

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpcc