top speed with rt/10????

OP
OP
got one

got one

Enthusiast
Reaction score
196 and 160. Interesting. Felt relativly safe at that point? I have taken mine to 145 and ran out of room, but have recently been shown a nice long, flat freshly paved road that is a ghost town on Saturday and Sunday mornings that I am thinking of testing out, with watchers on each end of course.

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
RT/10 Cd with top off is .45, GTS is .35 if I recall correctly..

viper spray

Enthusiast
Reaction score
but have recently been shown a nice long, flat freshly paved road that is a ghost town on Saturday and Sunday mornings that I am thinking of testing out, with watchers on each end of course.
***********PM me this spot. thanks: M.**************

THOR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
but have recently been shown a nice long, flat freshly paved road that is a ghost town on Saturday and Sunday mornings that I am thinking of testing out, with watchers on each end of course.
***********PM me this spot. thanks: M.**************

Yes, please. PM me this spot too. :2tu:

OP
OP
got one

got one

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I get the fluids changed this week...I'll show you guys :) Send me a PM with your email and I will give you guys info.

TOOOFST

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Shipped TOOOFST to Vegas last week and Gumballed her to AZ to hang with family and then back.On 95 we hit 180 several times.Top off.We were hammering all the way,nicest run of my life.V1 paid for itself again.
Thanks to Tom Burek @ Fields Dodge for totally prepping the car for this adventure.
Only thing passed me was a jet helicopter(2.2mil),very cool.I then had to get a ride in one from Maverick co. in vegas,unforgetable experience.
Thanks to Trent for taking care of TOOOFST's delivery.

DLTARNU

Suspended
Reaction score
140 with top off. Felt solid as a rock. The ony downside was that because I was smoking a cigar, my mouth was partly open and the wind was going inside and forcing saliva out which ran backwards across my cheeks :laugh:

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wouldn't think that there would be much difference in top speed between gen1 and gen2 R/Ts.

Drag limits top speed.
The extra 50hp from the gen2 probably isn't enough to matter much.

Drag = area x (velocity x velocity)

A little more speed need's lots more power.

This doesn't take the possibility of unfortunate gear ratios.

If you get to the top of 5th at your redline, you are not going to be able to shift and go faster in 6th.

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
RT/10 with top off drag coefficient =.50, requiring about 477hp to do 190 mph...

RT/10 with top on drag coefficient =.45, requiring about 433hp to do 190 mph...

GTS...................... drag coefficient =.35, requiring about 345hp to do 190 mph...

Do your own calculations with 19.5 frontal area here

A Prius running in the 130mph range at Bonneville picked up 3mph by taping over the lower grill opening

(page4)
(http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=4&article_id=8695&page_number=1)

BADVENOM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
according to this formula my car should reach 220 mph with 666 hp required...that of course doesnt take in account that the stock aerodynamics wouldn't hold up for that speed I believe..

Andy 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
FE 065 -- Interesting link. I've heard of Gen II RT/10s topping out at 185 mph. Does anyone know if they can go higher?

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
according to this formula my car should reach 220 mph with 666 hp required...that of course doesnt take in account that the stock aerodynamics wouldn't hold up for that speed I believe..

The stock aerodynamics of your car would be constant unless your hood flew off at that speed :)

Other than that I'm not sure what you mean.

BADVENOM

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The stock aerodynamics of your car would be constant unless your hood flew off at that speed :)

Other than that I'm not sure what you mean.

What Im trying to say is that I dont think the aerodyanmics of a stock viper bode well at 220 mph..Is that too complicated?

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All I was pointing out was that the velocity is driving the drag formula.
In other words,

double the frontal area and you double the drag. That means twice the horsepower is required.

double the speed and the drag goes up four times. That means four times the horsepower.

Now, of course you are not going to double either one of those factors,
but you can see how the velocity increase has much more to do with the hp requirement than the frontal area or improvements in aerodynamics.

Improvements in aero are great. Of course, anything helps. But you still have to keep in mind that whatever you do to the improve the aero,
the drag increases to the square of the velocity.

VIPERMAN

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Never could pass 160 mph. tried twice each time the rear latches of the hard top broke off and the hardtop almost took off the car if it wasn't still holding from the front latches.
I am really curious to hear comments of those who have been around that speed with hard top or even soft top on.
I am assuming that *******, it becomes a matter of how much can resist to the wind tunnel.

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
BTW, In most vehicles the greatest aerodynamic drag is at the rear, not the front... (vacuum effect)

Andy 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Never could pass 160 mph. tried twice each time the rear latches of the hard top broke off and the hardtop almost took off the car if it wasn't still holding from the front latches.
I am really curious to hear comments of those who have been around that speed with hard top or even soft top on.
I am assuming that *******, it becomes a matter of how much can resist to the wind tunnel.

That's a good point, once you get over 100 mph the hard top does seem to want to lift off. It remember reading a test where the RT/10 went 185 mph, but I really don't know if it was with the top up or down. Now it's kind of making me wonder.