Towing Viper on this Trailer Question

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok so I found a trailer to go to VIR with but I am unsure how to strap the Viper down. Most of the photos I have seen show the straps going through the middle of the trailer but that is not an option for this trailer for obvious reasons. Inputs are greatly appreciated.
Only things left for me to do are buy a helmet and some straps to strap her down.

Last edited:

mad0953

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How far are you going? I wouldn't put my car on it unless I was just towing it to my buddie's house two miles away. If you are going very far I would say bite the bullet and rent an enclosed trailer or if all else fails drive there. My 2 cents worth.

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good luck....do I see in the pics that this trailer has no brakes?

Plus...if I see it correctly...and I might not...it looks like the trailer fenders are where the car doors will be...gonna climb out the window?

vpr4track

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You may want to reconsider and drive the Viper to VIR. If you're just at the point of buying a helmet, you probably don't have enough track days to really push the car to its limits. You can still have a great time and push the car to YOUR limits w/o driving so hard that you need to tow it home.

vancouver-gts

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I occasionally tow behind my Navigator. Would never use a trailer with a single axle or no brakes:nono:

You must be registered for see images

OP
OP
K

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You may want to reconsider and drive the Viper to VIR. If you're just at the point of buying a helmet, you probably don't have enough track days to really push the car to its limits. You can still have a great time and push the car to YOUR limits w/o driving so hard that you need to tow it home.

You are absolutely right, I will not be pushing my car to the limits. There is a small issue though, the car needs a tune and I am having an issue getting it tuned locally because of my schedule. I don't want to risk getting stuck 4 hours away in case something happens. My father has a double axle trailer as well but I wasn't able to see the ramps on it.

The background of the 2nd picture shows the 4 wheels trailer. Not sure about strapping the viper to that one or even getting it loaded on it.

Last edited:

HLN A55

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Is the Viper going to fit on that trailer? It sure looks awefully small . . . I'd be surprised if a single axle can even hold that much weight (I've seen a lot of car haulers and not a single one has ever had a single axle). And to answer your question, I don't see a way of properly strapping the V down on that trailer.

As with everyone else, I would't put my V on that trailer at all (short trip or not). Use the black one in the background or look elsewhere.

And just to give you some info, I've trailered my car across the country a few times (so i'm not just talking from the bench).

You must be registered for see images attach

OP
OP
K

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is why I posted it here because I know this forum is full of good information. I have only towed 2 jetskis once so I am not familiar with towing. I will be using my Ram 1500 Hemi so it shouldnt be too much of a problem.

How hard is it for you to get your Viper on that trailer? The black one in the background has a wood center floor boards and pretty much the same tie down areas as the orange one, on the outside.

dragon rider

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a question since we are on the subject of towing. I have a 2000 Suburban 1500. Do you guys think that it is capable of towing my Viper for a 4-5 hr road trip.

utahviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wouldnt tow the viper on a single axle trailer! It is probably past the GVW rating, more than likely the axle is 3500lbs or less. I bet that trailer would "whip" badly with the viper on there. You are better off renting a dual axle trailer from uhaul or somewhere like that.

witz323

Viper Owner
Reaction score
First of all, i would never put my viper on that trailer you showed. Second, you mentioned you were only going about 3.5 hours? Why do you even need a trailer?

AFL in NJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I haven't towed my Viper, but I think your insurance agent would yell at you if a tire blew on a single axle trailer and caused your Viper to be damaged. The dual axle trailer available would be a much better choice.

My brother tows a lot, he has a GMC 1500 truck with the smaller V8 (I think it's the 4.8) and he simply added a bigger transmission cooler and made sure his cooling system is perfect before any towing....even small loads.

I've seen ratchet straps that go over the top of the tire and ratchet down to rectangular cutouts on either side of the wheel. Underneath, using straps in an X pattern will inhibit the car from shifting side to side.

I'm positive someone on here can offer way more advice than me.

Regards,
Aaron

Solid Red 98

Enthusiast
Reaction score
At most I would put a couple of ATV's or maybe a Mini Cooper on that trailer. The Viper needs to ride on a substantial dual axle trailer with a wide deck. Due to its loaded weight, the trailer should ideally have brakes as well. Countless fools and inclement weather can be encountered on a 3 hr. jaunt. Trailers and inexperience can be an unforgiving combo. When towing a loaded trailer, carrying a Viper, no less, don't play around; as the risks and liabilities are too great. Only way to do this'un is the right way.;)

vancouver-gts

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Brakes for trailers are required above 2000 lbs of gross trailer weight in most states !
KNG SNK , don't try this :rolaugh:

You must be registered for see images

Dragon rider , your Burb 1500 would have the minimum 7500 lbs towing capacity with up to 9000 max, depending on options like heavy duty tranny cooler , 3.73 axle ratio ,4.10 is good for max cap. . A dual axle steel trailer could weigh between 1400-1800lbs, plus 3400lbs for the Viper = no problem .One caution , most people ignore the fact that a WD hitch [ torsion bars] required for max capacities . Ie; a vehicle with 6500 lbs max capacity is only good for 5000lbs with a weight carrying hitch only. I've been towing boats for 40 yrs and always follow guidelines ,never having issues other than the occasional flat and one bearing failure.When there's a bearing failure it could be much worse than a flat , because the wheel could literally fall off .That's why it's so important to have a dual axle setup.

My Navigator [ 1/2 T ] is rated to tow 8900 lbs with 3.73 axle. My boat with trailer weighs 8300 lbs, the Navi tows it very well on steep grades too .Over 50K miles on the engine and drivetrain.

OP
OP
K

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
First of all, i would never put my viper on that trailer you showed. Second, you mentioned you were only going about 3.5 hours? Why do you even need a trailer?

Re-read my previous post. The car needs a tune and if something was to happen I would be stuck 4 hours away from home. Sounds easy but in the military you don't want to show up late, not a good thing.

I will look further into the double axle trailer in the background since it seems to be a unanimous decision that is a better option. Gotta see if I can get the car on it.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
've seen ratchet straps that go over the top of the tire and ratchet down to rectangular cutouts on either side of the wheel. Underneath, using straps in an X pattern will inhibit the car from shifting side to side.

good info there. and i'll add if you want more secure and less chance for movement, use CHAIN binders instead of nylon straps.

past ohio

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would look for an commercial enclosed carrier and pay to have it transported....unless you get the right trailer and equipment PLUS towing is a "college degee" of its own...you learn a lot about towing BUT out on the road with that trailer would be a "big learning experience" that could be very costly to your tow vehicle as well as the Viper./...good luck....just my $.02

OP
OP
K

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Commercial trailers and shipping are out of the question. I am not shipping my car 3 hours away. I would like an enclosed trailer but its not in the cards. I am going to closely inspect the ********* dual axle trailer to see if I can get the car on it. I should be fine just towing the car.

rpm9000

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I doubt that the tires on the trailer are rated to carry the weight of the Viper alone. You would probably blow a tire. There's no way I would attempt it.

SquadX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If the tune isnt perfect, why are you punishing it at viper days, sounds like an bigger issue then the tow. Also, could you swing for an SCT flash from roe or dan, which would give you, hopefully, a good tune and just drive. Just asking as i agree with others that that trailer looks scary and Ive never towed anything and wouldnt use the referenced one.

Gus Strakes

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Commercial trailers and shipping are out of the question. I am not shipping my car 3 hours away. I would like an enclosed trailer but its not in the cards. I am going to closely inspect the ********* dual axle trailer to see if I can get the car on it. I should be fine just towing the car.

From the approach angle in the pictures, I don't think you'd be able to get your car on that single axle trailer anyway. If you did get it on, the fenders are so high, you'd have to climb out the window because you wouldn't be able to get the door open. Once out, how would you get the windows up?

Plus all the other issues mentioned, including single axle, no brakes, and no D rings, I think you put your car at high risk if you use that that trailer. Please don't use it.

OP
OP
K

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As far as the sct I have tried numerous times to get a tune for the Roe. It's not there. I called archer racing to get it tuned when I am up there at vir and I have to call them back. Just a safety measure to tow it so I'm not stuck 4 hours away from home.

Enough people have said not to use the Orange one. I'm not the type of person to ignore good advice. Orange one is a no go. Going to look at the black one. There are no tie downs on the floorboard of it though only on the edge.

PowerKraus

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You got alot of feedback there.....main thing to remember, towing is not about the 'go' power. It is about controlled stopping power. So check your rigs brakes, and if no on trailer; don't tailgate and take your time. And test your stopping distance and if the trailer wants to wiggle-so you're prepared. You'll be fine if you take your time..

Goodluck

Robert

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Will try to answer all of your questions. Have towed trailers all my life (started driving farm tractors at 7) and still tow them on a weekly basis up to 25K pounds Gross Combined (truck and trailer). Before that I towed a loaded wagon tied to my tricycle! :D

First off, you CANT tow the Viper on the single axle. Weight balance is off. I think you will find when loaded there will be virtually zero to negative tongue weight. When you have no weight, the trailer back end starts to whip side to side. Thats not fun. Can be a great laxative though if you need it! ;)

Secondly, when you have a single axle, you are asking for trouble. Especially a car. Zero stability and if you lose a tire with a high center of gravity load, bye bye Viper. Also you will want brakes. Trust me. When the honda cuts you off....

You will have issues opening your door on either trailer. Only thing you can do is screw a few boards (2x8's) to the trailer deck if it is wood. Will then lift up the vehicle allowing doors to swing over the finder.

Your truck will have zero issues with towing it.

As for loading on the one in the background, that is a little harder. What you can do is drive the back tire of your ram onto something that is about 6" tall or more (wood, etc). This lowers the trailer back end. Then get a few heavy duty boards (8-10' max so they fit in your Ram bed) and then a few pieces that you can use every few feet underneath to support the boards from bending. This should give you the clearance you need. Have done it several times over the years. Keep playing with the angles until you get the car on. Can also look at putting the end of the trailer toward the bottom of an incline. Will help but done rely solely on this. If there is no slope at the unload location….:(

For strapping, those style trailers normally have strap locations around all sides of the trailer body. Do criss cross the straps. That prevents the car from walking to one side while going over bumps. Just make sure the strap cant walk down the rail if it is not a loop or sectioned rail. Will loosen the strap if it can walk.

Hope that helps!

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good information. Not sure if the black tailor has brakes. Will have to check when I get back in port. Glad to hear my truck will have no problem. Crossing the straps is a good idea. What should I wrap them around? The A arms?

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Go into the frame. Have seen suspension parts break due to incorrect strapping. Aluminum is brittle.

Behind the front wheels you will find there are two holes just the right size for strap hooks. Same for rear frame rail behind rear tire area.

Big trailer should have brakes. Almost all trailers that size HAVE to.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery