TPMS question

05Commemorative

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If I have two sets of factory wheels (one for the track and one for the street), but only have TP sensors in the street version, can I change wheels back and forth and still not have the alert on the dash with the street tires? don't want to be going back and forth to the dealer.

Viperless

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I ran aftermarket wheels on my '09 for quite a while before the dash light came on. I didn't think the TPMS was working. When I put the factory wheels back on, the light went off.

OP
OP

05Commemorative

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ok, that is great to know.

Now, if I had sensors in both sets of wheels, will that work? do I have to have the dealer set it up so it recognizes both sets?

pure zen

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Should only have to recognize the second set.

Believe you will have to have a tech with the high dollar scanner, reset the different sensor set. If like other Chrysler sensors, its rather easy and fast procedure,,,starting at left front wheel and working clockwise around the car.

I watched it being done. Five minute job, after the scanner was plugged in.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
The real question IS...can one have TWO full sets of wheels programmed for one Viper...and swap them off and on without needing to reprogram the newly installed set of wheels each time????

It's too bad that it's so cold here...for if the weather was good, I could pull a set off of a 2008, and use them as a second set on a 2010 just to see how often I'd have to attach the DRB III to make a set work. You never know for sure until you try !!!

EZ 2B Green

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not sure if this will help but here it goes:
I have two sets of wheels for my 2009 SRT-8 Jeep. Both sets of wheels have pressure sensors. When I swap wheels the the system automatically senses the new sensor at each wheel position. I don't have to reprogram anything. I don't know why it would be different on a Viper.

Last edited:

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Hi, EZ 2B Green.

If only the Viper's TPMS was as advanced as the TPMS in a Jeep!!! But, it's not.

Our 06 Commander seems to work like your 09...self programs with tire rotations, etc.

Not so with Gen III or Gen IV Vipers. Sure hope Gen V is better!!

Flexx91

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Believe you will have to have a tech with the high dollar scanner, reset the different sensor set. If like other Chrysler sensors, its rather easy and fast procedure,,,starting at left front wheel and working clockwise around the car.

I watched it being done. Five minute job, after the scanner was plugged in.

That's what I basically said. The second (new) set still has to be programmed but the system will still remember the first (original) set. I too have two sets of wheels and the TPMS recognizes both sets (because BOTH sets have been programmed).

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Good info, Flexx91...thanks...now I won't have to swap a bunch of wheels in the cold just to "test a theory"... especially since it snowed again this AM !!