Track Pack Option

ferraritoviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just posted on my 2013 GTS order, and a couple of comments suggested my order needed the track pack . So I thought I'd reply seperate so not to confuse things:

For what it is worth, I've heard that several Viperholics feel that if you are not going to track the car (and I'm not), the stock tires will be quiter, last longer, pick up fewer rocks, etc.

There is no suspension upgrade in the track pkg, you just get the Stoptech rotors, slightly lighter rims and stickier tires. The GTS come standard with electronic suspension.

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It does make the car lighter thought thus giving you a faster viper. :)

I just ordered a GenV with the track package, it is 60 lbs lighter and it is all rotating mass - that means far more than removing fixed weight.

Ray W

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would have ordered the track pack option but a choice of black wheels or black wheels does not appeal to me. Surely the manufacturer could offer just a polished wheel in the same model. SRT is going to miss out on a lot of money from buyers. Maybe we could start a poll to see how many would rather have a polished wheel option in the same style wheel.

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would have ordered the track pack option but a choice of black wheels or black wheels does not appeal to me. Surely the manufacturer could offer just a polished wheel in the same model. SRT is going to miss out on a lot of money from buyers. Maybe we could start a poll to see how many would rather have a polished wheel option in the same style wheel.

I am getting an SRT and would love to be able to get the track wheels myself, lol

SADVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So, the track pack tyres will be noiser, less durable, and..? I only wanted the package for sidewinder II !!

Though the 6 spoke venome grew on me for certain colors

Vooodoo ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I think the name "Hyper Black" is misleading. The color looks more like clear coated charcoal.

Here's a pic I extracted from the brochure:
You must be registered for see images attach

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That makes sense, order the car for what you plan to do .. track pack certainly makes the most sense for those doing trackdays.

Ray W

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry but the hyper black just looks like a brake dusted wheel clear-coated. I think the black wheels can make a car look very sinister and sometimes I am a fan. Even if I could learn to like them. I don't think I should have too considering the price of the option and the fact that my wife will not miss any opportunity to comment on them.

ZZ SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hyper-black is a fairly common color among wheel enthusiasts.

It's well known that it's not actually a "black" wheel so I guess I don't find it misleading, but whoever decided to call it that originally wasn't the brightest...

:rolaugh: first thing my wife said to me when buying a black Gen IV was " You aren't going to put black wheels on there, are you?"

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
hyper black? i dont see anything even close to black, how about toned graphite . very misleading and srt is going to cost themselves:bonker:

Smog Dog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm really glad SRT offered the track wheel in Hyper Black as well as the Matte Black. I prefer it. The problem with the Matte Black, IMO, is that you lose the wheel and tire in the black wheel well, and I just wouldn't live with that look. I also understand that some would like the track pack wheel to be offered as polished or painted aluminum.

Bill

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Would have to politely disagree Blue SRT, as we chat with alot of folks and the Hyper Black is pretty well understood by Viper owners and SRT's marketing found a big indication that this trend in rims was wanted with Viper owners. Easy to see that this is a common trend just by viewing the TireRack ,etc. I think with the Black Chrome look on alot of the SRT products , the intro of this rim gives folks a not quite black look and was the rim used on the reveal car too.

Have had way more comments by those ordering about Matte Black , and the gentleman who suggested that the track pack should offer the same wheel in polished aluminum has been commonly brought up. If anything was missed I would agree with him, as I have had 4 individuals bring up that they wanted a track pack with a silver rim. Two wanted Gunmetal cars with silver stripes and a track pack -- have to admit that would look killer. Another wanted the Shadow Blue with silver stripes and silver rims with a track pack. Visualizing both of these cars, I would agree that would be a dynamite look, but alas it will not be possible with the track pack. at present.

But, this Forum is read and it is a great source of ideas for SRT and who knows what the future holds? We already know after the Reveal and VOI that SRT holds alot of credibility in what Viper owners want and desire. They listen unlike any car company I know and with 9 stores under the Woodhouse Auto Family , the basis is founded on experience , not guess work ---- we are all blessed to be working with SRT and they are the most hands on and consumer friendly auto division in the World , in my humble opinion.

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
well it seems to allready be on here that people are confused about hyper black, common sense would tell me to be a little more public friendly about a order name. but hey what do i know

05Commemorative

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Viper not taken on the track???? oh, what a person is missing on what these cars can really do and are designed to do. You will be a better/safer driver on the street, really understand what your car is capable of and then likely get hooked on it (bad part $$$). I recommend anyone buying the car to do it atleast once, unless your plan is to stare at it in the garage (which is not all bad either)

As for opinions, which we all have, I too wish they offered the polished track wheel. I also thought HyperBlack was very well understood color, but thinking back to the first time I heard it 4-5yrs ago, I was probably confused as well.

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
:)
Would have to politely disagree Blue SRT, as we chat with alot of folks and the Hyper Black is pretty well understood by Viper owners and SRT's marketing found a big indication that this trend in rims was wanted with Viper owners. Easy to see that this is a common trend just by viewing the TireRack ,etc. I think with the Black Chrome look on alot of the SRT products , the intro of this rim gives folks a not quite black look and was the rim used on the reveal car too.

Have had way more comments by those ordering about Matte Black , and the gentleman who suggested that the track pack should offer the same wheel in polished aluminum has been commonly brought up. If anything was missed I would agree with him, as I have had 4 individuals bring up that they wanted a track pack with a silver rim. Two wanted Gunmetal cars with silver stripes and a track pack -- have to admit that would look killer. Another wanted the Shadow Blue with silver stripes and silver rims with a track pack. Visualizing both of these cars, I would agree that would be a dynamite look, but alas it will not be possible with the track pack. at present.

But, this Forum is read and it is a great source of ideas for SRT and who knows what the future holds? We already know after the Reveal and VOI that SRT holds alot of credibility in what Viper owners want and desire. They listen unlike any car company I know and with 9 stores under the Woodhouse Auto Family , the basis is founded on experience , not guess work ---- we are all blessed to be working with SRT and they are the most hands on and consumer friendly auto division in the World , in my humble opinion.
i think we viper/performance guys and gals get it, but for srt stateing they wanted to pull in a new crowd of peolpe,thats where i think its a small boo boo. all do respect..

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Actually we have a very reasonable number of folks that are converts, and I can't think of one of them who had a question on the rims. Surprisingly , and granted we are only one Dealership, there seems to be alot of questioning about the Matte finish for those wanting " Track Packs." I think the performance guys/gals get the black chrome, British Black, Hyper Black , Black Platinum and other names that seem to be out there for these and similar finishes. I fully understand your concern and though I do not have the right to talk for SRT I know in chatting with some of the guys at VOI and in Detroit , that this was a popular option for rims, across the board and not a Viper owner specific. That is part of the reason I felt I should politely disagree.

SRT monitors these sites but seldom will say much on an item that could be deemed minor in the grand scheme of things. Felt I should chime in, as I am confident from some discussions that they really did their homework in this area as well as many others. In fact in talking with Engineers, designers ,etc. over the past 13-14 years I can frankly say the attention to detail and the amount of listening they have given to Dealers and owners is at the greatest level ever. Some of the items they have worked on or brought up would have never been discussed in previous years. I really think that kudos need to be given to Ralph Gilles, Beth Paretta, Steve Sharples , etc. for some of the cool things they have done this time around ---- think of how fantastic it was to have Graham Henckel, Mark Trostle , Eric Hueschele, Dick Winkles , Tome Jovanoski, and the whole troupe of SRT folks at VOI. That was epic , as they have never had that many representatives of a group at a VOI . It was a single moment that showed how important the Viper owner was to SRT, but also how dedicated a force we have willing to listen ,interact and build our dreams.

Damn, sorry, looks like I have done another windy asp paragraph that probably could have been answered in a few sentences, but somehow this little item made me want to try to illustrate how important even something like this is, and that I know SRT viewed it as important with the same observation you initially made - your concern is well founded, I just felt you should know it was viewed by many prior to your thoughts ( see great minds think alike )

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think that SRT does listen a lot Bill, but in some cases not. This rims color selection it is definitely not. I can honestly say that I have not bought certain vehicles over the years solely because of factory rim choices and/or black only rim options. Do not underestimate the power of a strong rim design and the right finish. It makes or breaks a vehicle's looks. Not everyone wants to mess with the aftermarket to get the right offset, blah, blah, blah.

Black is a fad that while popular or not, just needs to go away forever IMHO. What is probably frustrating for many a potential new Viper Gen V owner is the track pack rim is right there, in perfect form but a lot can not swallow the black, black matte, hyper black, basically not silver or polished finishes offered. All SRT has to do is offer a different finish; a bright silver finish and watch them fly off the part shelves and option lists. Sorry fad or not, current trend or not, it is just a different finish but it totally changes the look of the car IMHO. Since when did the Viper follow trends anyway?

Sorry but I agree with BlueSRT; the name is confusing to those not from the world of custom wheels and the decision to not offer the track pack wheel in a bright silver or polished finish must have been cooked up by the same guy that chose the rims on the VOI 11 car in SLC. Track pack is a package whether used for the track or to be on the car for bragging rights. Many owners just want to say they have it, even if they do not use it as such. I think it is an oversight and one that may drive some potential owners away. Most tolerate this silly fad simply because it is the only option from the factory for certain cars. Doesn't make sense to me. Give the people what they want I say. Hence if a future ACR is built, I guarantee it will have different front end bodywork closer to the look of the GTSR because the viper community has spoken on that already.

A simple poll on rims would dictate the answer SRT needs. Grunge Black is out, but simple Bright Silver or Polished will always be in. Again just my opinion which I know others do share! Others will disagree. Such is life!

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Simple answer is SRT did listen , hence Black, Silver , and Hyper Black . I, like Ray, and you Colorado, think a silver Track Pack rim would have been nice, but the wide choice of rims and finishes did come from SRT listening. We never had this many options in the past, and though it is a passing fad in your mind ( and mine also ), they are listening to all , not just to those that like a specific style. I am not a fan of the matte finish, but as I noted before, I am getting alot of questions on this finish, and therefore regardless of what I like, I have to acknowledge that many consumers are into this style.

The Forum is a great tool, as it is another place for SRT to view, so those of us that like silver rims and choices for an option kit like the track pack are being heard. We all have to acknowledge that SRT can't be all to everyone all the time, but in fairness we must be rational and compare to the past -- they are no longer just hearing us they are truly listening and that is a huge difference.

Ray W

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can say I did not buy either of the VCA cars (yellow or silver)just because of the wheels. I bet all 100 of the silver cars would have been sold had if the rims had not been black. I would have bought the silver one. I would have also bought an ACR if it didn't have the black wheels. I couldn't even force myself at 0% financing on the 2009's because of the black rims.

The majority of original buyers are not going to change out their wheels. It is too much frustration and they are not OEM. Easier to just not take the option or just don't buy the car.

I mean no disrespect to black wheel owners and lovers. We all like what we like.

05Commemorative

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well they added LED lights and electrical nannies to ruin the fun of the Gen V. Those are two I can think of instantly.

are you joking or serious on this one? electrical nannies "that you can turn off" ruin all the fun? LED lighting is a fad? I suspect 10yrs from now, we will have LED lighting or the next improved lighting technology. To me, this would be the equivalent of being upset when they added HID lighting and ABS in the past? Two things I can't imagine a car not having today...

elanderholm

Enthusiast
Reaction score
are you joking or serious on this one? electrical nannies "that you can turn off" ruin all the fun? LED lighting is a fad? I suspect 10yrs from now, we will have LED lighting or the next improved lighting technology. To me, this would be the equivalent of being upset when they added HID lighting and ABS in the past? Two things I can't imagine a car not having today...

also, nannies are required by law...so if they left those off....no new viper.

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
well all i have to say is i have bought 4 new srt cars 3 vipers and one challenger since 08, they do a great job,so dont put me on as im smarter than they,was just saying their is nothing black about those wheels and some may be very lost. just saying

ZZ SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score

As for the LED lights, I am referring to the trend of every new trendy car having LED strips of lights on the front and rear of the car. I'm not saying it doesn't look cool, but that wasn't the point. The point is that it is a trend, a trend in which all luxury cars, and now cheaper brands, are picking up.

As for the nannies, maybe I should've specified better. I understand that stability control is now required for most production vehicles. One of the reasons I bought the Viper is because of it's pedigree, and it being a purist's car with minimal luxuries. This is what the Viper has always taken pride in as well. A car that has the potential to be the fastest or deadliest car, depending on the skill of the driver. When I get in the Viper, I'm not looking for comfort, I'm looking to be in a street legal racecar. If I want a car that drives for me, I would have bought a GTR.

Ultimately, SRT is a business and needs to do whatever it takes to make the new Viper successful. This means expanding the audience of interested buyers, which the new features (cruise control, huge info-tainment screen, etc.), will appeal to, just not me. To each his own.

kdaviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As for the LED lights, I am referring to the trend of every new trendy car having LED strips of lights on the front and rear of the car. I'm not saying it doesn't look cool, but that wasn't the point. The point is that it is a trend, a trend in which all luxury cars, and now cheaper brands, are picking up.

As for the nannies, maybe I should've specified better. I understand that stability control is now required for most production vehicles. One of the reasons I bought the Viper is because of it's pedigree, and it being a purist's car with minimal luxuries. This is what the Viper has always taken pride in as well. A car that has the potential to be the fastest or deadliest car, depending on the skill of the driver. When I get in the Viper, I'm not looking for comfort, I'm looking to be in a street legal racecar. If I want a car that drives for me, I would have bought a GTR.

Ultimately, SRT is a business and needs to do whatever it takes to make the new Viper successful. This means expanding the audience of interested buyers, which the new features (cruise control, huge info-tainment screen, etc.), will appeal to, just not me. To each his own.
LED lighting has become more prevalent because the cost of them has decreased, not because of how they look. LEDs require far less power to operate than conventional lights and can be integrated into various designs more easily than other methods of auxillary lighting.

ACRucrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
LED's are the future. Stability/traction control is the future. Kudos to SRT.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang