Track Pack Option

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why don't I cast a vote for SRT. I think the matte black and the black chrome are great ideas. My single favorite part on the new Viper was those sick looking black track wheels. That yellow Viper with those black wheels just blew me away at VOI. Not saying you bling types shouldn't get your choice at 100K though.

SADVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with coloviper, I'm myself confused by which is hyper black which is matte black only by looking!
I also think SRT got it wrong with the too many things they made restricted for each model.
The car is truly magnificent but some of the options..

Malu59RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hyperblack is almost like a dark silver, but if it's looked at from an angle instead of straight on, looks darker grey/black. For instance, the face looks light colored, but the sides of the spokes look darker. Does that make sense? Of course, each manufacturer is different, so hear are a few images to give you an idea. It really looks good IMO.

You must be registered for see images

OP
OP
F

ferraritoviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Up to now, I tought that Hyper Black was a gloss black, but obviously it's not.
Can someone clarify ? Is it Black chrome, or more of a dark grey gloss ?

The present on line catalog pics are confusing to say the least! My impression from the previous options list and pics on drivesrt, is that the hyper black was a high gloss black paint on the alum wheel...and the Matte black was a dull flat black finish. Guess I'll know for sure when my car is delivered :)

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
hmmmmmm, it seems that we have some people confused here.....

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Actually we have a very reasonable number of folks that are converts, and I can't think of one of them who had a question on the rims. Surprisingly , and granted we are only one Dealership, there seems to be alot of questioning about the Matte finish for those wanting " Track Packs." I think the performance guys/gals get the black chrome, British Black, Hyper Black , Black Platinum and other names that seem to be out there for these and similar finishes. I fully understand your concern and though I do not have the right to talk for SRT I know in chatting with some of the guys at VOI and in Detroit , that this was a popular option for rims, across the board and not a Viper owner specific. That is part of the reason I felt I should politely disagree.

SRT monitors these sites but seldom will say much on an item that could be deemed minor in the grand scheme of things. Felt I should chime in, as I am confident from some discussions that they really did their homework in this area as well as many others. In fact in talking with Engineers, designers ,etc. over the past 13-14 years I can frankly say the attention to detail and the amount of listening they have given to Dealers and owners is at the greatest level ever. Some of the items they have worked on or brought up would have never been discussed in previous years. I really think that kudos need to be given to Ralph Gilles, Beth Paretta, Steve Sharples , etc. for some of the cool things they have done this time around ---- think of how fantastic it was to have Graham Henckel, Mark Trostle , Eric Hueschele, Dick Winkles , Tome Jovanoski, and the whole troupe of SRT folks at VOI. That was epic , as they have never had that many representatives of a group at a VOI . It was a single moment that showed how important the Viper owner was to SRT, but also how dedicated a force we have willing to listen ,interact and build our dreams.

Damn, sorry, looks like I have done another windy asp paragraph that probably could have been answered in a few sentences, but somehow this little item made me want to try to illustrate how important even something like this is, and that I know SRT viewed it as important with the same observation you initially made - your concern is well founded, I just felt you should know it was viewed by many prior to your thoughts ( see great minds think alike )
??????????????

SilveRT8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hyperblack is almost like a dark silver, but if it's looked at from an angle instead of straight on, looks darker grey/black. For instance, the face looks light colored, but the sides of the spokes look darker. Does that make sense? Of course, each manufacturer is different, so hear are a few images to give you an idea. It really looks good IMO.

Thanks for the clarification Malu, now I get it and think it will look very good especially on cars with Gunmetal or Black.
So this is the finish that was shown on the Stryker red preview car back in April. At that time I tought that SRT had done a lousy job on the polished wheels ! LOL !Reminds me that we have not seen many pics of the polished Venom wheels standard on the GTS

ViperGMC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
i wanted the track pack too but wanted the polished wheels. Its a tough one. I could get the polished Venom since I have already have 2 extra set of track wheels from my '04, just put those on when I go to the track. But I also really want the corsa tires for everyday driving. I am sure a polished set of Venoms can be picked up from someone before too long, so I can solve the problem that way too. In the end I went with the Hyper sidewinders on my new GTS. I have never bought a car that everything was "exactly" the way I wanted it regardless of the price, make or model. There is always something that does not come with this option and something you don't want that comes with that option. You can not let it ruin an otherwise awesomely cool experience, there is nothing like buying a new car, especially a Viper.

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think that would be my own criticism. I'd love to be able to pick and choose things out of other packages. I mean I understand it is a low production car, that they have to do packages like they do - but still.

I'd love a set of GTS wheels or Track instead of the SRT (since that is what I am getting, without track).

Sure, I bet I can pickup a set afterwards, but I'd rather just do it right away.

I Bin Therbefor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Facinating. I want the Track Pack with street tires! Want the weight reduction without the high wear rate tires. I'm thinking that Mopar will be offering a lot of the goodies as individual items. At present, have more plans than funds, but all is not yet lost.

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Never been a fan of all black wheels but I have to say on my ACR they do look somewhat sinister and when I track the car they don't show brake dust. If you track the car with polished wheels after a few laps they look hyper black or hyper dirty.

SADVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i wanted the track pack too but wanted the polished wheels. Its a tough one. I could get the polished Venom since I have already have 2 extra set of track wheels from my '04, just put those on when I go to the track. But I also really want the corsa tires for everyday driving. I am sure a polished set of Venoms can be picked up from someone before too long, so I can solve the problem that way too. In the end I went with the Hyper sidewinders on my new GTS. I have never bought a car that everything was "exactly" the way I wanted it regardless of the price, make or model. There is always something that does not come with this option and something you don't want that comes with that option. You can not let it ruin an otherwise awesomely cool experience, there is nothing like buying a new car, especially a Viper.
So, the track pack wheels will not be good for daily driving?
I'd like to compare buying a new viper with a new wife :rolaugh:

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I always laugh when I see people say "black wheels are a fad". Sorry, but that statement couldn't be further from the truth. Black wheels have always been around. If anything, chrome or polished wheels are the "fad", by comparison.

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When black wheels really started to get super popular I hated them. I was a polished or chrome guy, nothign else. Then I don't know what happend, but chrome & polished got old to me and I love the black with the right design. The track pack wheel design to me is great, I'd buy that as an aftermarket. Love the black look. But I think that wheel chormed would be ridonkulously nice and you know someone will do that, light weight bling.

ViperGMC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
So, the track pack wheels will not be good for daily driving?
I'd like to compare buying a new viper with a new wife :rolaugh:

I am not sure what you mean. I did not say track pack was not good for street driving, no reason not to have stickier tires and lighter wheels anytime.

Tire wear is not an issue for me. The other thing to note is the Stop-Tech rotors. It is very nice to be able to replace just the disc when it gets worn. if you do a lot of tracking and have a heavy brake foot, you can go through discs in no time. I would also add that dark wheels are always better for tracking. The brake dust and heat take a toll on the polished stuff, especially if you go to a more aggressive brake pad. So my preference would be, polished wheel-corsa tire for daily driving, dark wheel-corsa tire for the track.

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well NineBall; you show me a silver or chrome polish wood wheel and then I will take that comment seriously. :)

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well NineBall; you show me a silver or chrome polish wood wheel and then I will take that comment seriously. :)

These were metal. Chrome spoked wheels weren't around until much later on.

You must be registered for see images attach

Just saying, black wheels aren't exactly a fad. They were the original wheel color.

SADVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am not sure what you mean. I did not say track pack was not good for street driving, no reason not to have stickier tires and lighter wheels anytime.

Tire wear is not an issue for me. The other thing to note is the Stop-Tech rotors. It is very nice to be able to replace just the disc when it gets worn. if you do a lot of tracking and have a heavy brake foot, you can go through discs in no time. I would also add that dark wheels are always better for tracking. The brake dust and heat take a toll on the polished stuff, especially if you go to a more aggressive brake pad. So my preference would be, polished wheel-corsa tire for daily driving, dark wheel-corsa tire for the track.
I have no experience in comparing track wheels and street wheels that's why I asked :) I only want them for sidewinder II. So I guess it'll be a better call to have the spoke 6 wheels for daily driving and more durability?

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Sadviper,

Both rims could be used on the track or on the street , there is no durability issues either way. The difference is based more on the tires -- the Pirelli Corsas will be a bit noisier and likely have a stiffer sidewall as a DOT competition tire. Pirelli has worked directly with SRT so it is a much better rain tire than the Pilot Sport Cup, but it will wear faster than the standard tire. Standard tire will be quieter, smoother riding on the street and last longer. Just wanted to clear up the rim concerns as all are incredibly strong and designed for the Viper's capabilities.

SilveRT8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the update Bill, as usual very useful info.
I was tempted by the Track pack option for the 60lbs reduction in unsprung weight, but I was also concerned about the Corsa tires in occasionnal rain downpour, but not anymore !

SADVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thx bill yeah that what got me thinking, are the standard tyres and the track pack wheels compatible?
Will they provide the standard tyres+rims along with the track pack on the GTS,upon delivery. Since we already paid for the standard and gonna pay for the track pack as well?!?!...

SilveRT8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thx bill yeah that what got me thinking, are the standard tyres and the track pack wheels compatible?
Will they provide the standard tyres+rims along with the track pack on the GTS,upon delivery. Since we already paid for the standard and gonna pay for the track pack as well?!?!...

Stop dreaming, start paying !!!

drlee50

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i have to laugh when all you weenies are complaining about wheel options. we are taliking about a tiny fraction of the cost of the car as far as wheels are concerned. you could sell you black wheels or trade them in two seconds and get exactly the ones you want. to not buy a car or not get an option just because of the rims is silly.

MtnBiker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As for the LED lights, I am referring to the trend of every new trendy car having LED strips of lights on the front and rear of the car. I'm not saying it doesn't look cool, but that wasn't the point. The point is that it is a trend, a trend in which all luxury cars, and now cheaper brands, are picking up.

As for the nannies, maybe I should've specified better. I understand that stability control is now required for most production vehicles. One of the reasons I bought the Viper is because of it's pedigree, and it being a purist's car with minimal luxuries. This is what the Viper has always taken pride in as well. A car that has the potential to be the fastest or deadliest car, depending on the skill of the driver. When I get in the Viper, I'm not looking for comfort, I'm looking to be in a street legal racecar. If I want a car that drives for me, I would have bought a GTR.

Ultimately, SRT is a business and needs to do whatever it takes to make the new Viper successful. This means expanding the audience of interested buyers, which the new features (cruise control, huge info-tainment screen, etc.), will appeal to, just not me. To each his own.

I totally agree. I had a decision, wait for the 2013 or get a new 2010...decision was made purely on wanting the raw car. It suites my personality better. The raw race interior with real guages, etc. I can't do guages on a small screen.

drlee50

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I totally agree. I had a decision, wait for the 2013 or get a new 2010...decision was made purely on wanting the raw car. It suites my personality better. The raw race interior with real guages, etc. I can't do guages on a small screen.
And if you want the baddest raw car...would stock black rims prevent you from buying it? Hell no. And this idea that it has to be original from the factory ...blah blah blah. Add a power adder if you want some real raw power. 600 hp is weak now a days anyway. Who cares what color the rims are. Track pack or not, you can always make your car faster and lighter. It doesnt have to factory stock forever. Change rims, brakes, engine, whatever, to make it what u want. The factory isn't required to cater to every single buyer. That's just silly. They delivered you the best of the best as far as the car goes. Deal with the rims they give you and figure it out . Seriously the silliest stuff I have ever heard. What's next? Won't buy because it doesn't have mobile 1 oil? Or not the tires u like ? If u can afford the car, u can afford to make it perfect by your standards. So do it and thank srt that u have a car to call your dream car in the first place . Pretty sure if Ralph could speak freely, he'd say exactly what I'm saying.

ViperGMC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
And if you want the baddest raw car...would stock black rims prevent you from buying it? Hell no. And this idea that it has to be original from the factory ...blah blah blah. Add a power adder if you want some real raw power. 600 hp is weak now a days anyway. Who cares what color the rims are. Track pack or not, you can always make your car faster and lighter. It doesnt have to factory stock forever. Change rims, brakes, engine, whatever, to make it what u want. The factory isn't required to cater to every single buyer. That's just silly. They delivered you the best of the best as far as the car goes. Deal with the rims they give you and figure it out . Seriously the silliest stuff I have ever heard. What's next? Won't buy because it doesn't have mobile 1 oil? Or not the tires u like ? If u can afford the car, u can afford to make it perfect by your standards. So do it and thank srt that u have a car to call your dream car in the first place . Pretty sure if Ralph could speak freely, he'd say exactly what I'm saying.

This forum is no place for that kind of talk. We are a bunch of whiners and we like it that way. And yes, the change to Pennzoil is a big problem. I will have to find a different place to get the oil changed and I am not alone. SRT is going to lose a lot of customers over that one.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang