Track question for road racers

MULE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have tracked my car twice now, and wonder if the experienced guys have this feeling as well or is it just me. The feeling is a light front end. I get this feeling when making a high speed gradual turn. For example the "kink" on the back stretch at Mid-Ohio. I really noticed it at Beaverun on their back stretch kink. It feels as if the car needs more front down force at speed. If so is there a way to achieve this. I have read on this forum that aerodynamics on not so good on the RT, is that what I'm feeling? Is it just me?

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I would say that there is a little of this feeling, but I would also first question what your alignment settings were? Also, if you are talking about the
keyhole at Mid-Ohio , that is due more to the off camber downhill nature of the turn. If you are referencing turn 1, I again would like to know your
alignment settings. Feel free to give me a call, as I would be happy to assist you to the best of my humble ability --- or at least send you in the right
direction for your concerns.

Bill Pemberton
Woodhouse
1-800-889-1893

Gene's98GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the front end definitely lightens up at speed. I noticed this at 140 mph at Road America on the front straight - not a good feeling. I had an Autoform Daytona front fascia with splitter (and rear wing) installed. Looks great, feels more stable and is easier to control in the twisties. Shocks and springs are really needed to get the most out of that car in the twisties.

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't remember getting that feeling doing 140 in the front straight at Willow Springs and the doing a 90 degree left, but I had 305 Hoosiers on the front and 2.1 neg. camber in the front.

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When you're running stock width fronts, you need to turn in and point to the apex gently. You should hit the apex at neutral throttle holding a smooth transition to track-out. Or, hit the apex with plenty-'o-gas and rear steer your way past track-out with the fronts ever so lightly dancing across the pavement (that's the way I like it.) :)

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sean Roe makes a clever kit to increase cooling, but it involves cutting a hole under the front fascia. Not only does it help cool, but gives a place for the air to go, other than under the car. I did a home-made version, and like it a lot, never had a front end lift feeling.

scottgf

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have had the same feeling at Hi speed (130+) on the road as well as on the track (Willow Springs front stretch).
I think its a Gen I thing....no naca duct, no vents over the front wheels.
I have heard this is less noticable on gen II cars (I have never driven one)
My .02
Cheers,

OP
OP
M

MULE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
GTS Dean,
You are on the right track. It is after the apex of a slight "kink" during the track-out that the front end seems to get light. A "kink" being something you apex at 120. The gentle high speed turns don't seem to "load" the front suspension so it can bite.

Thanks for the input everyone. All were good feedback. I'll try tires and camber. If that doesn't give me the feeling I want, then shocks and lowering the front. Good point Scottgf about too much air under the hood. Will look into that as well. Thanks again.

Mark 00 RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A little trailer, but it works

I agree with Tom. I did the same hole with expandable foam filling the sides. Its a little trailer, but the car stays cool and felt a little light on rear over 150 mph. After a "track alignment" the car is solid. It would be best to try the alignment route first, front bumpers aren't cheap!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Doug Chase