Track Tire Question

vdogg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just bought 2008 ACR and have done 1 track day. Need to buy tires for track use only and looks like we only have (3) brand choices if running stock 19" diameter rear wheels; Hoosier, Michelin, Kumho. What is the tire of choice that is the best blend of performance/longevity/ and price. I have run Hoosiers on my BMW and they are great, but they don't last long and are relatively expensive. Michelin Cups seem to be good performance/longevity, but are more expensive than Hoosiers! Kumho is cheapest but not sure about performance/longevity?? Any help would be appreciated.

B & R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
While I have not run the cups or Hoosiers yet my first choice of track tires were the Kumho V710. I did go to the 18" size all the way around though. My wife also has a Viper running this setup and we both track. So far we have used them for two two day track weekends, 4 heat cycles per day so 8 per weekend and they are still holding up great. Guess until I have driven on both I really can't give you what you want to know in the way of a comparison. Huge difference in stick from the PS2 though.

Richard

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just bought 2008 ACR and have done 1 track day. Need to buy tires for track use only and looks like we only have (3) brand choices if running stock 19" diameter rear wheels; Hoosier, Michelin, Kumho. What is the tire of choice that is the best blend of performance/longevity/ and price. I have run Hoosiers on my BMW and they are great, but they don't last long and are relatively expensive. Michelin Cups seem to be good performance/longevity, but are more expensive than Hoosiers! Kumho is cheapest but not sure about performance/longevity?? Any help would be appreciated.

The Michelin Pilot Cup tires will last a little longer with it 80 treadwear rating as compared to a Hoosier R6 with its 40 treadwear rating. You can go to a Michelin PS2 tires, they come in the correct sizes and last a lot longer and are better in the rain. You will lose grip on the track (because of the 220 rating) and the sidewall is not as stiff.

I used to just pop for the Hoosier R6s and settle for 4 maybe 5 track days, but that was it, I either corded them or lost all grip.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

GOOD FOR YOU for tracking your ACR! Richard and Ron are correct, and experienced. Where are you? What track(s) ?

If you want fast-laps alone, go Hoosiers first, then K-710s. Then Cups, Then Kumho XS. Then PS2.....a wonderful street/track tire but requires a performance alignment to safe outer shoulders. Did you align your ACR for performance events? BIG HELP !!!

If lowest $ per track mile matters most, you WILL be slower....

One other option: 18" track wheel are lighter, faster, less cost, and open up a menu of 18" track tires at less cost as well.
PM Sent< Thanks, and be safe! JonB~~~~:<~

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4