Track wheels? SSR?

Reaction score
Hey Mark,

How much front to rear rake does the comp coupe have compared to the Gen III / IV Vipers?

Curious,

Dan

They vary from track to track based on what the car is doing, but 1" is the middle ground. The CC runs a much stiffer setup than any of the Gen3/4 or ACR cars though and the down force is even more.

Tim Purtell

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm trying to decide on used Forgelines vs SSRs new - around the same price. A couple of buddies swear by forgeline and were concerned that the light SSRs might be prone to cracking if you hit a rumble strip on track or happened to go off. The thinking was that the Forgelines are a much stronger wheel and would resist that sort of abuse more. Jon B - any thoughts on that? Thanks!!1

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tim, I'd bet the 1-piece forged wheels are stronger than a multi-piece wheel. I've learned this from Houston pothole experience as well. Even a cast aluminum OEM type wheel seems stronger than a multi-piece lip. The problem with 1-piece wheels is that if you do damage a lip, the wheel typically needs to be replaced. The multi-piece wheels can have a new lip/hoop installed.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Tim, I'd bet the 1-piece forged wheels are stronger than a multi-piece wheel. I've learned this from Houston pothole experience as well. Even a cast aluminum OEM type wheel seems stronger than a multi-piece lip. The problem with 1-piece wheels is that if you do damage a lip, the wheel typically needs to be replaced. The multi-piece wheels can have a new lip/hoop installed.

Tim, I agree with 9-ball, (whoever he is!)

Also consider that multi-pc wheels need some regular, routine maintenance. The assembly-bolts must be torqued, and if not, the silicone rim seals can and will leak after track use. 1 pc are immune, (and yet lighter)

I have seen a neglected BBS wheel begin to wobble slightly ON TRACK as I was following and getting ready to pass..... I actually lit up my Pace Car strobes and "black flagged" the (clueless novice) driver as I passed him. The bolts were so loose they had created their own layer of "magnesium dust" as the bolts threads filed away the wheel rim ! The driver said he had heard popping noises but felt nothing!!!

We loaned him a set of wheels and BBS repaired the damage

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I bought ACR blems from Parts Rack for track use. Jon, are blems still available?

Tom, from your lips to to God's Ears! I have tracking numbers for THREE full sets of ACR 18-19 Black Blems...... Those folks who are on deposit will ship NEXT WEEK. Thank You.

Anyone wanting a set of these lightweight OE-Fitting ACR wheels, please act soon.
The 'blems' are cosmetic, and generally 'no factor' even for street wheels!

Under $3100/set of 4. [Dodge MSRP is double+]

-$100 s/h USA 48 - VCA VENOM pays $50 ;

Add Kumhos XS under $1250 set of 4
or PS2 for Under $1675 set of 4

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Thanks to JOE, SS, and KEN..... these 3 are sold out.

But now the wait-list of deposits is also GONE. $500 (refundable) deposit can put you in line for sets. Eme [email protected]

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Gosh, with those options sold out I guess there's only one thing for you to do, put out an incredible dicount offer on polished ACRs ;)

Your Wi$h Is My command: DO A WHEELIE!

New, In boxes, NOT blems, 4 Fully polished and clearcoated. 18-19s Under $3999 by check or BofA Deposit.......less for Venom of course. Can ship this week as well!

THANK YOU for Asking..

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Shandon and others,

As JonB says above, most of our club members (and we're a track oriented club) just slap on the SSR's and Kumhos, drive to the track, drive the track for two or three days and drive home without issue.

The SSR / Kumho package is so superior to the OE set up, i.e. they are much lighter and the traction of the Kumho Ecsta V-700s is vastly superior, that literally all of our guys run faster and safer on them.

As for the rake issue, lowering the rear of the car by installing shorter tires lowers the "roll center" and makes for better rear traction, which helps prevent spins. It also increases static camber in a very good way for the track. Toe is minimally impacted.

Mark is correct, as a guy who likes to go faster than most, I trailer my car and have a track specific set up including tires (R-6), wheels (SSR's), track alignment, track brake pads, brake cooling ducts, track shocks, roll bar, six points, race seats, engine mods, lap timer, etc., etc.

Not everyone wants to do this initially, so the SSR / Kumho package works very well for them.

Dan

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang