Traction Control & the Paxton

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For those that have added a Paxton (or other forced induction/nitrous) to your SRT, how many have also added some sort of traction control? I am curious about the hardware/software versions and not better tires (difficult to find in stock sizes) or expert drivers (2 Viper Chuck). ;)

I have heard that some are nervous about Race Logic as it could potentially cause a "lean out" condition (partial injector shut down instead of 100%) and that there is no AEM controller for the SRT, just bastardized versions of the Gen II controller.

With no 19" Kumhos on the horizon and hearing all kinds of traction issues with the S/C, it would be interesting to hear what folks are doing and how happy they are with their solutions.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chris.
Sounds like you are considering a Paxton for your car. If so, welcome to the club. Traction is indeed an issue, especially in lower gears.
The fun factor goes up quite a bit, as does the focus.

rleminv

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chris,
I called both RaceLogic in England and Mark at Woodhouse, they are the rep here in states. Racelogic also has a very informative website: http://www.racelogic.co.uk/ . I was first introduced to Racelogic by John at West Coast and he seems to know quite a bit about it.

I will know more when my car comes back from DC Performance later this month. Not a tech, but from what I gathered, the 8 cyl. unit is what is on my Viper and I wanted all the other accessory options. When operating, it does not "kill" the same cylinders each cycle but either rotates or randomizes it? Again, not being a tech, anyone I have discussed this with that is technical has reported that on both road race or drag conditions, they are able to stand on the accelerator instead of letting off. One of the accessories decided upon lets the driver adjust the unit and it has a rain setting. After deciding to give it a try, Dan Cragin and I are hoping for good results. Honestly, I hope it works but I also was willing to try it knowing it may not or just partially.

There are quite a few good resouces you should call and get your questions answered. Good luck.
Larry

ps. I will be running drag radials too!

repiv

Enthusiast
Reaction score
supposedly the racelogic unit was run on a world cahllenge car for a year, no problems. It is my understanding that the RL unit can't cause a partial lean out, it cuts both fuel and spark to the cylinder.

Before Woodhouse became US distributor, Matrix Integrated was selling the 6 cylinder version w/ 2 sets of coils as the unit for the Viper. I bought this one a year or so ago, it doesn't really work (took it off the car, sold it), the people at woodhouse have figured it out w/ the 8 cylinder model

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I always thought that was a good idea since there is so much power. Seemed like a traction control system was the best bet. I only know of one system though.

rleminv

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I always thought that was a good idea since there is so much power. Seemed like a traction control system was the best bet. I only know of one system though.
:2tu: :2tu:

LOL Tiger, Me too, :) :cool: :)

Gas and clutch pedals. I really hope the RL unit does as advertised and I'm sure there is going to be lots of trial and error. Expensive experiment!
Larry

Reaction score
The racelogic traction control will do wonders for any Viper, N/A or Forced induction. We have spent hundreds of hours at the track and on our test cars developing a software program to maximize the traction for either application. We are confident that this will not be and expensive experiment. You will be amazed with the launch capability and the increased control/confidence you have with full throttle driving.

The system is not a nanny for poor driving but a tool to maximize all availible traction on any given surface. After using it for a while you will become better at determaining what the car is capable of at the limits and idealy you will learn to not rely on it for your performance, all the time knowing that it is there to catch you if you cross the line.

We have been installing these systems on Vipers and other makes for a year now and I can tell you from personal experiance and through the testimonies of our clients that this is the real deal when it comes to a performance minded traction control system. Not some overly governed stock system. The other nice thing is you can completely tailor it to your driving style so the thrill of your Viper is not diminished.

If you have any questions please feel free to call.

Mark Jorgensen

rleminv

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Mark. I know Dan purchased the system from you and you probably don't recall our telephone conversation. My comment was only meant tongue in cheek. I have a lot of confidence this is going to bring the car to it's full potential and look forward to talking to you in the future.
Larry

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
:2tu: :2tu:

LOL Tiger, Me too, :) :cool: :)

Gas and clutch pedals. I really hope the RL unit does as advertised and I'm sure there is going to be lots of trial and error. Expensive experiment!
Larry

If it works, that would be great though. I know a local member had a TC system and loved it.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Y2KSRT,

I am runnning the AEM on my Paxton equipped SRT-10. Unfortunately, I have not set up the traction control portion of it yet but plan to. John Reed (mentioned earlier) made the wiring harness that adapted the AEM to my SRT. The AEM is quite a neat piece of work. This has nothing to do with traction control, but imagine being able to tune the car while you drive it or tune it for altitude or temperature. The AEM will allow you to do this.

When I get the traction control program of the AEM set up and working, I'll post on it's effectiveness. With the AEM, you can control spark or fuel. It sounds like it could be very effective.

I have read and heard very good things about the Racelogic unit too.

Prior to the AEM, I went with 18-inch wheels and Kumhos or Nitto drag radials for the street, depending upon how I'm planning to drive the car on that occaision. With better tires and some practice, you will be surprised at how well you can do, even with 850+ rwhp.

Dan

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a boat-load of experience w/ both the AEM's TC and the RL TC. The RL was great on an NA car but struggled (the Matrix-recommended 6-cyl flavor) with forced induction.

That being said, they reluctantly moved me to the 8cyl flavor which was better.

The RL uses wheel speed sensors where the AEM is based on rates of accelleration (you tell the 'puter what is "too fast" and it adjusts) so the RL is far more precise. and in autoX I loved it. the guys at RL (i've spoken to them directly many times) are fairly helpful. But I too spent over a year trying to get the system to work. sent the unit back to RL a few times for the "we've never heard/seen this before". I can't say if it is operational right now b/c i have it removed, but will put it back on after i've finished some other adjustments...

more to come...

JD

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
6 cylinder models. 8 cylinder models. The bottom line is that the Viper has a 10 cylinder engine. Why install a jerryrigged system? It seems to me that Racelogic should come out with a Viper specific sytem for NA and/or boosted vehicles. From the posts above, it sounds like no one has one installed on a boosted Viper who can report a reliable and consistent experience with the product. If I am wrong, I would like to see a detailed post from that individual. Hi Joe. I hope that you are charging an engineering consultantcy fee to Racelogic for your input. If you are going to help them iron out the flaws, you should be paid for it!

Bob

Reaction score
The 8 cylinder model for the Viper IS Viper specific. We have made the harnesses that adapt to the Viper and (painstakingly)created programing for N/A AND forced induction. It has a Viper specific part number also RLTC8DIA-V. If you have any questions about the usefullness of the system I can probably get you in touch with one of the many happy customers we have. There is no comparison between the AEM and the Racelogic for traction control and safety for your engine. The AEM on the other hand is an EXCELLENT way to tune your custom engine.

Mark Jorgensen

shortybighead

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have both the Paxton and the RL on my 05' It was installed by Mark and the guys at Woodhouse a couple of months ago, and I have had no problems. It takes a little getting used to, but it does help with the traction issues. Go with the launch control as well! Hope this helps!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang