Traction issues

Diablo Joe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What do you guys do to get traction on the street?I have the original tires on the car with about 7k miles(65% tread left)and cannot even get full throttle in first gear.If I granny shift second it still lights the tires up.The car dynod 417 stock and now has a VEC and Tubes/filters.What do you S/C guys do? Could the rubber be harder since the tires are 5 years old?
Please help.TIA,

Joe

MES

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Simple answer GET NEW TIRES
laugh.gif
My 97 had original tires when I bought it last year and I was in the same predicament as you. Couldn't even go WOT in 1st no matter how softly I got into it. Replaced tires and what a difference, night & day. Stops a hole lot better, plus tires didn't break loose in 1st.

Edit: Regular Pilot Sports were the new tires

OP
OP
D

Diablo Joe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So you guys are saying the Mxx3's arent the tires to go with? What brand should I run? Ill order them tomorrow.

Joe

MES

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The MXX3 was discontinued some time ago (1-2 years??) the track guys like them (Chuck) because they make better track tires than the pilot sports do. Yours **** because they are old and hard not because they are MXX3's Order some from partsrack.com or tirerack.com I got a set through Sears they were cheaper and I didn't have he hassle transporting them to a tire shop for mounting. Michelin pilot sports are what you need there are two type out now (I think) one for rain and one for better dry traction.

Chuck B 98 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a traction problem with my car for a short time. Doug Levin told me to try a new set of tires. I was hesitant because my old ones had plenty of tread left. Well, to my surprise the new tires HOOK DEAD! Go for new!

Chuck

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Missjazzyfitness