Tranny durability ?

Andrew2KRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How much can the stock tranny take?? Guys are doing all sorts of work to the cars (me included) and I don't hear much about tranny work.

Had a friend who just blew his the other day in a cobra. Engine was too strong for the tranny. I know you can't compare Vipers and Cobras, but that is what made me post this question.

Andrew :usa:

Paul Fischer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
9 times out of 10 you'll lose your shafts before you blow your tranny. Pablo had a great post on straight gears in a T-56 last season, interesting mod for those who are looking for a serious if noisy efficiency increase.

WESTCOAST JASON

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Since 98 I have only lost a gear once in my 97 GTS and once in my 98 GTS and both times they were both my fault. I have proven to myself that it is not the HP that hurts the trannys but the way it is shifted. I have never heard of a tranny breaking anytime other than DURING a shift. In both my cases I ruined the 3rd gear synchro speed shifting. Once that synchro was shot, the car would fall out of 3rd under negative torque...

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A major cause for failure is riding/racing with the hand applying pressure to the shifter, the non-metallic shift pads wear and allow play/limit fork travel and susequent failure to the sychronizer assembly.

One of the most common upgrades is to replace the stock shift pads with metallic pads. All that being said allow the shifter to float in your hand until a shift is needed. I did not believe this till mine failed in a identical fashion, I in turn traced it back to a bad habit of keeping my hand on the shifter.

GaryA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Paolo Castellano has a line on a guy in NY that is an expert in T-56 transmissions. He sells rebuilt Viper trannys for a pretty good price. I believe he is also working on some hardened gears for high HP applications.

The stock tranny seems to be pretty durable, although I lost 3rd gear in mine. But I'm not complaining given the HP my car makes.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960