Transmission Update: '06 into '00

RobZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've completed my transmission replacement on my '00 RT/10. I used an '06 SRT tranny and for those who were curious or skeptical of the possibilities, it works!!!

Simply swapping the rear housing was not possible because of a gear bearing housing size issue coupled with a secondary shaft alignment problem. Aparently the housings are not identical although the rear housing section of the tranny carries the same OEM part number on both models. I took a brave step and had a pro drill out the spedo hole. He even matched the height within 1/1000. A spectacular job if I do say so myself. I also replaced the clutch system including the master cylinder, slave cyliner, flywheel, throwout bearing, pressure plate, crossmember and tranny mounts.

All in all a rather simple yet time consuming process. Most of the down time was waiting for parts to arrive :zzz: (not from our vendors of course). I am very happy with all of the service, advice, and assistance I received on this project from the sponsoring vendors:

John B and the PartsRack Team
Chuck Tator and Tator's Dodge

..and the biggest thanks of all to Mark Jorgensen :2tu:

:usa:

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not sure I understand what exactly was involved? You took the '06 tranny and drilled the tailshaft housing and somehow slipped the '00 speedo sensor in place? Do you have any detailed pics? I guess there is enough meat (metal) in the new tailshaft housing to do this. Can you explain further.

Tom Sessions

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The boss is in the tail shaft housing for the speed sensor.It only needs to be drilled and cut for a o-ring.And the hole for the bolt drilled and tapped.You cant just swap the old housing to the new trans due to the old trans uses a tapered roller bearing and the new trams uses a straight roller bearing.You will also need to move the exciter ring onto the tailshaft of the new trans for the speed sensor to pick up.Or you could just order a new trans and get it all done for you by the factory.If you order a trans for a '92 or a '06 they all change to the same part number.You just dont plug in the speed sensor on the 03-06 car.

OP
OP
R

RobZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Unfortunately I don't have detailed pics of the proceedure along the way. The transmission work was not done by me, and all I did was take the tail housing to a machinist for the drilling. As Tom explained in detail, the tail housing just cannot be swapped.

If you look at the tranny from a Gen II you see the spedo input in the housing. Basically a hole with a smaller threaded hole for the bolt to hold the spedo sensor. My transmission guy put the gear into the new transmission for the spedo sensor to run off of. A simple procedure like I explained. The main concern.... make sure you get a machinist that can tap that hole exact for you.

On the newer transmissions the hole is actually marked, it's just filled in.

skeetachya

Viper Owner
Reaction score
What we did was take the 06 trans and had the tail housing drilled and tapped in the place where the speedo sensors went. The gen II cars had the speedo sensor in the tail housing of the trans the gen III cars have them in the front wheel somewhere. Then all the trans tech did was slide the sensor inside the 06 trans and that was it. We also had to use the 00 bell housing. The 06 bell housing would not fit on the car ( it was slightly different). We also had them cut off one of the knobs on the rear of the trans for clearance. We were not sure if that was needed but did not want to put the trans in and then the knob be in the way. I guess we should have taken some pics but didnt even think about it.

Dan Cragin

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Good job on the conversion. Just to clarify, the 03-06 SRT transmission will fit all the early models if it is modified for the speed sensor. This requires the rear housing to be tapped out for the sensor and the tone wheel to be installed. Not a big job, but requires some skill. The DC replacement transmissions for the early model has this done, its a later transmission setup for the early car. The 1992 trnasmission is specific to the car and needs to be rebuilt.

OP
OP
R

RobZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How about the results?

Does it shift better/smoother?

Is the pedal effort less?

Muuuuuch better:2tu: Improved shifting smoothness and ease. The clutch feels much better and although it's not completely broken in yet, I can feel the power a lot better especially in the lower gears.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte