Transmission whine with 1000 HP

96 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
After a few runs down the track, I noticed that the tranny has developed a high pitched whine. This is most evident when I let off the gas and coast in 3rd gear, but it happens in all gears. Have I trashed my tranny?? :(

Tim

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Last year in my 94 RT10 I had a new Tranny installed by the dealer. At the time it sounded normal but now I also have a whine. With 1000 kilo’s on it I missed 3rd on a speed shift and in all honesty I don’t know if I went between the gears or even hit 1st? What I do know is that it made a hell of a noise that was nothing like I had heard before. Scared the you know what out of me and normally I never miss a gear and certainly I have heard nothing like what I had heard. It didn’t really sound like gears grinding but could have been. Nothing locked up or anything like that but I coasted to a stop and looked at my girl friend and then gingerly went through the shift pattern sitting there. Seemed normal so I drove it home and parked it for a week to think about what had happened and what it was going to cost me. It shifted fine, worked ok except for the very light whine in all gears both on and off the gas. Put another 1000 k’s on it and changed oil in both the tranny and the differential catching the oil and filtering through a white cloth. Nothing at all was found in the oil to show any wear in any of the oils.

My guess is that I probably bent one of the shafts or filed some teeth down. It has not effected the shifting at all and there is no vibration that I can tell. My guess is that I will probably be paying for an overhaul sooner than later on this one.

As a closing note the only thing different I had done was installed a modified Woodhouse shifter and one of those short 2” shifting shafts with the MGW knob to give me a height above the console not much higher than the head of the MGW knob. It was extremely fast shifting but probably had an effect on the geometry that my arm had to use to shift. I have since gone to a slightly longer shaft of about 4” and so far no more missed gears with another 2000 kilos on it since the incident.

If you tear it down can let us know what you find?

Tim

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang