Transport cost?

OzeViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone able to tell me how much, in general, it would cost to transport a viper about 1300 miles? I found one I might try to buy and want to find out if it'd be cheaper to have to brought to me or take a bus to get it and drive home. Taking time off work cost me upto $200 a day

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, I'm up in CT and had my RT shipped up from N Carolina, cost me about $650. Shipper was very good, though this was for UNcovered trailer. Covered shipment would have been about $900 and seller (dealer) said he ships all his high end cars in open trailers. Okay, my gut said closed, but I just didn't want to spend the extra cash.

Car came just as pictured, with a little dust on it. Cleaned it up and voila, car was awesome.....

I had thought about going down to pick the car up, but why buy a low mileage car, just to put on 1300 miles to bring it home. Besides, in my case, the car had the original tires and they would have been quite unsafe for a drive that far.

Hope that helps.

Peter

TAXIMAN1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
it really depends on where the car is. And how direct and frequently traveled the route is. But I wold venture a guess between $1000-$1300 for that trip..

LifeIsGood

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just purchased a 2001 RT/10 that is being delivered to me later this month via enclosed trailer...from Springfield, Missouri to Littleton (outside of Denver), Colorado...833 miles for $750.

GBS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would say at least $1,000. There are a lot of trucking companies around. To online and get some quotes.

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In hindsight, I consider myself lucky on my shipping.

My recommendation, is to make use of the members on this site. Try to work with a shipper who members have had experience with and can give reference. I think experience is the best recommendation and, I would definitely not scrimp on price as I believe you truly get what you pay for.

Just one person's opinion.

Good luck on whatever you choose.

Peter

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In hindsight, I consider myself lucky on my shipping.

My recommendation, is to make use of the members on this site. Try to work with a shipper who members have had experience with and can give reference. I think experience is the best recommendation and, I would definitely not scrimp on price as I believe you truly get what you pay for.

Just one person's opinion.

Good luck on whatever you choose.

Peter

I agree. Use a reputable carrier as they have the car in their hands. Once you are no longer there, they could do potentially anything to your car. I have personally seen some of the cars that come off these carriers and although the guy saved $300 in shipping, he ended up forking out many thousands to get the entire side of his car repaired because they claim it was not their fault.:rolleyes:

Good luck!

Robert

Sapphire RT/Tn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had my RT/10 shipped from Malibu, CA to Nashville, TN this summer by INTER CITY LINES. The total cost including transporting the hard-top stand was just under $2000.00. This was an enclosed carrier with hydraulic lift, 1st class in my opinion. I would definitely recommend them.

jimsmyth1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Saw an old Ferrari on a transport today with the windows down! I'm using Fedex Critical to haul my car from Michigan to Arkansas. $1,350.00

VicTxV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had my 06 vert shipped from Boulder, CO to Victoria, TX, (1200 miles) and cost me $1575 via enclosed trailer. Cost was $300 more because I live in an area of Texas that is not on the main drive line for delivery trucks. My first quote was $1175 and it sat for two weeks with no drivers wanting to deliver the car for that price.

OP
OP
O

OzeViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
thanks for all the info, I decided I definatly have to wait atleast till Christmas 09 to save enough to pay cash. Something else I might consider is hiring my own company to transport it. I havn't found out yet how much it'd cost to transport in a regular 53' box trailer but atleast I'd get some of it back as the driver! hehe

GaryA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Transport costs are all over the map, so it's impossible to get one single answer. If you go open carrier, you take big risks with your car. I wouldn't recommend it. One time I saw an SRT-10 on an open carrier (bottom rack) and a 1974 ****** pickup truck directly on the top. It just isn't worth the risk. I've seen cars transported with the windows down and a couple of times I saw convertible roofs blown open and when the driver stopped it went down again and therefore was never detected.

If you go with a big carrier there are disadvantages too. Most of them do a pretty good job, but try to call one of them after 6 pm or on weekends and usually all you get is a voice recording. They also stack cars and frequently they'll need to unload your car during the trip to get to another car. They also take considerably longer to get to their destination since they make a lot of stops along the way. They can save you money on a long trip if none of that bothers you, but anything less than about 1000 miles they are usually not as competitive. They also usually only give you about a 7 day window for a pickup estimate. They are infinitely better than an open trailer though. And some of them are better than others.

Typically with a big carrier you don't get the personal touch that you will get by a small operation. I transport cars in a two-car trailer and most of the time your car never leaves the trailer. If it's necessary, I let you know up front. Since I transport only two cars at a time, I deliver the cars very quickly. Also, you can call me anytime and you always get me, the owner. The big carriers usually don't take along extra parts and those that do usually charge extra for that. I try to accommodate special needs and I've never charged for it.

Recently I've added more drivers to handle the ever-increasing load. All of the drivers are fully-insured. Let me know if I can help.

Gary Almond
240-994-1343

AZPERRY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi, I bought my 2001 in Tennessee and shipped it to Arizona for $1802.00 total. It was special transport enclosed for excotic cars. Fed expresss was the service provider. Go to their web site and they will send you a quote

mhill1950

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I used Fed Ex enclosed , guareenteed date of pick up. service was great with regular updates on everything from pick up to delivery

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456