Traqmate install

Jasone

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looking for ideas on where / how to install my new Traqmate. any suggestion on where to mount the GPS, how to run the wiring etc. would be greatly appreciated.

quick2tr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On my convertible, I used double sided foam tape to adhere the GPS antenna center-front of the trunk lid. Right up against the canvas top. The cable was routed :
Along the inside of the trunk lid,
Down the shock/hinge,
Around to the driver side door,
Draped down behind the driver seat,
Up and into the center console.

The Traqmate data unit was velcro'ed in the console on top of "Blue Tack" putty. This putty provides "adjustment" when zero'ing out the X-Y axis. The putty seemed plenty firm enough and recorded measurements were consistent with published magazine numbers (3 seconds average of 1.05 g's on stock runflats). You can pick this wonderful stuff up cheap at any crafts store.

Power is provided right inside the console already.

Separate display was velcro'ed next to the ABS indicator lamp, above the vents and to the right of the vertical guages.

OP
OP
J

Jasone

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On my convertible, I used double sided foam tape to adhere the GPS antenna center-front of the trunk lid. Right up against the canvas top. The cable was routed :
Along the inside of the trunk lid,
Down the shock/hinge,
Around to the driver side door,
Draped down behind the driver seat,
Up and into the center console.

The Traqmate data unit was velcro'ed in the console on top of "Blue Tack" putty. This putty provides "adjustment" when zero'ing out the X-Y axis. The putty seemed plenty firm enough and recorded measurements were consistent with published magazine numbers (3 seconds average of 1.05 g's on stock runflats). You can pick this wonderful stuff up cheap at any crafts store.

Power is provided right inside the console already.

Separate display was velcro'ed next to the ABS indicator lamp, above the vents and to the right of the vertical guages.

Thanks for the reply, great info. I havne't used the unit yet but planning to give it a try at Sebring this coming weekend. I didn't realize you needed to zero the x,y axis. I was planning to share the traqmate with another car/driver, will we need to zero in the axis everytime we switch the unit between cars?

is the velcro you used on the dash for the DU permanent? If not what do yu use the clean the adhesive off the dash?

Thanks!

quick2tr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Glad your sharing the unit, its great for that! Might want to temporarily tape the unit on top of an extra floor mat that you just move from car to car.

Yes, the unit needs to be zero'ed at every install. Try to get it +/- .05 g's while parked on a flat/level surface. If its not zero'ed properly, the inertial meters wont match up with the GPS readings and your results will be "hopping" around when your reviewing your data.

Never took the velcro off the dash . . . If I did I would start with rubbing alcohol first (weak). If that did not work, I would try use a proper (stronger) adhesive remover.

OP
OP
J

Jasone

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Glad your sharing the unit, its great for that! Might want to temporarily tape the unit on top of an extra floor mat that you just move from car to car.

Yes, the unit needs to be zero'ed at every install. Try to get it +/- .05 g's while parked on a flat/level surface. If its not zero'ed properly, the inertial meters wont match up with the GPS readings and your results will be "hopping" around when your reviewing your data.

Never took the velcro off the dash . . . If I did I would start with rubbing alcohol first (weak). If that did not work, I would try use a proper (stronger) adhesive remover.

I couldn't find anything in the manual about calibrating the unit so I email tech support. This is the answer I got

The SU needs to be mounted straight and flat with the antenna connection toward the front of the vehicle. If you do that there is no calibration required.

thanks again for the info

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960