TROTTLE STICKING - ANYONE EVER HAVE THIS PROBLEM

WANTED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
my rpms stick at 1500 to 1750rpms then drops to 1000 then to 700(idle). i just
replaced the water pump and thermastat. over heating is fixed. (water pump / broken
shaft) the car runs fine when driving. after replacing water pump i have put about
50 miles on it making sure the over heating problem was solved. tonight i drove
on 95 to make sure temp stayed at 190-195 which it did. when i let off to exit
at ramp i noticed rpm's were not dropping as fast as they should. it seemed to
become worse from that point on. it starts at 1750 then goes to 1500 then 1000
then 700(idle).

anybody know what the problem might be?

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had the same problem a while ago. I found that whenever I reset the computer, it would be fine for a month or so, then happen again. I took it to my Vipertech and he switched out my temp sensor, and all is fine now. Are you getting detonation at WOT too?

OP
OP
W

WANTED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had the same problem a while ago. I found that whenever I reset the computer, it would be fine for a month or so, then happen again. I took it to my Vipertech and he switched out my temp sensor, and all is fine now. Are you getting detonation at WOT too?

no WOT yet i was letting the new water pump run at low rpm's for a bit, just to
be safe. i never had to reset the computer.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wanted.
Is this something that is just happening.
Hang Idle has been a part of Gen II's for a long time.
When you lift off the throttle the engine maintains a high idle for several seconds, then drops down to a proper idle. Believe this is for emission reasons. Frustrating for track guys that want instant response when getting off throttle or using engine braking on the street.

Search may get some answers from years back.

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not trying to hijack, but I have a similar problem sometimes. After going into neutral (to wait at a redlight for instance), the car will rev from 700 to say 900 back to 700 back to 900 RPM, etc until I put it in 1st and drive off. This doesnt happen all the time, but maybe 25% of the time. Any suggestions?

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not trying to hijack, but I have a similar problem sometimes. After going into neutral (to wait at a redlight for instance), the car will rev from 700 to say 900 back to 700 back to 900 RPM, etc until I put it in 1st and drive off. This doesnt happen all the time, but maybe 25% of the time. Any suggestions?

There have been sooo many posts about this.... so many that I couldn't find a definitive answer. Some say replace the throttle cable, some think it's a computer issue, or temp sensor, and many other hypothesis. As I've sed before, mine seemed to clear up when I reset the computer, then came back after a month or so... usually after being stuck in traffic for a long period. After getting the temp sensor replaced, all seems fine.

Guess it's just part of the "charm" of Viper ownership.

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score

There have been sooo many posts about this.... so many that I couldn't find a definitive answer. Some say replace the throttle cable, some think it's a computer issue, or temp sensor, and many other hypothesis. As I've sed before, mine seemed to clear up when I reset the computer, then came back after a month or so... usually after being stuck in traffic for a long period. After getting the temp sensor replaced, all seems fine.

I guess I'll try replacing my coolant temp sensor. Just so I know, what does the coolant temp sensor have to do with the car revving itself up at idle?

Falconeer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had this problem once as well. In my frustration I searched the forum and found many posts about this subject. Many tried different things which worked for them. Personally, resyncronized throttle bodies fixed my problem. Resetting the PCM only erases its memory. As soon as the memory is filled up the problem comes back.. no permanent fix. There is something wrong which causes the RPM to idle high, unfortunately it is no easy troubleshooting.

Search this site for "idle hang" and try troubleshooting.

Erik

ArlyDude

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Try the TPS. Throttle Position Sensor

Put the new one on, try it, if it doesn't work, take it back.

I believe you have to restart the car the few times to have it learn the new sensor is on. Or maybe just dc the battery.

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I guess I'll try replacing my coolant temp sensor. Just so I know, what does the coolant temp sensor have to do with the car revving itself up at idle?

I was having detonation problem at the same time. I was told the car thought it was hotter than it really was and ran itself lean. Since the temp sensor change, no more detonation and no more stuck throttle. I don't know how the sensor relates to the stuck throttle.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960