Tweeter Replacement

Rolling Thunder

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Interested in replacing the stock tweeters in my 2001 RT/10. Can anyone recommend an aftermarket model that will fit with zero modification and hassle? Thanks in advance.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I put in Alpines. Slight modification needed. Zero hassle, as I love to work on stuff.

Seeing as the grill, mounting cup, driver and mounting bracket are one unit on the OEM's, good luck on your quest.

v10kingsnake

Viper Owner
Reaction score
not sure of the modifications needed because it looks like it fit right in the factory opening but I am using MB quarts separates with the tweets and the woofers in the factory locales in each door.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Alpine Electronics of America, Inc. - SPR-17S

When you remove the tweeter mounting screws you can unscrew and pry loose the mounting plate from everything. From there you can carefully pry loose the old driver from the mounting cup/grill unit.

I then epoxied the OEM mounting cup grill to the door panel. It was previously supported by the fact the driver was stuck in it, and the bracket stuck to the back of the driver. A+B+C kind of thing.

The new driver won't mount inside the cup so that's why the cup must be glued to the door panel. I used JB weld 5 minute epoxy from Home Depot.

Then, I glued the back of the new tweeter to the old mounting bracket and it was done short of the wiring.

I have a pic of this, but it's at home. PM me if you need the visual too.

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I replaced my tweeters and door speakers without any modification at all. There are plenty of component speaker kits that will fit right in. Don't limit your choice to one brand.

Keep in mind the sound quality is not dependant on the brand but how it's tuned.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I replaced my tweeters and door speakers without any modification at all. There are plenty of component speaker kits that will fit right in. Don't limit your choice to one brand.

Keep in mind the sound quality is not dependant on the brand but how it's tuned.

I suspect that since you didn't mention the brand or model you bought that one of the following applies:

1. It is a secret.
2. You can't remember.
3. They only made one set. Yours.
4. I must play your post backwards to get the answer.

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I suspect that since you didn't mention the brand or model you bought that one of the following applies:

1. It is a secret.
2. You can't remember.
3. They only made one set. Yours.
4. I must play your post backwards to get the answer.

I didn't mention it because as I said there are many choices and my choice is not the only one. I have the Panasonic component set. Don't remember exactly what model but it really doesn't matter that much. It is professionally tuned and it sounds great. The imaging is somewhat mediocre only because of the tweeter placement. If I get bored one day I'll relocate the front tweeters to the A-pillar and improve imaging a whole lot.

If I was to go into competition then obviously I'd change the tweeters to some really high end ones. But I'm not ready to drop $2,000 on a pair of tweeters yet.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Interested in replacing the stock tweeters in my 2001 RT/10. Can anyone recommend an aftermarket model that will fit with zero modification and hassle? Thanks in advance.

I didn't mention it because as I said there are many choices and my choice is not the only one. I have the Panasonic component set. Don't remember exactly what model but it really doesn't matter that much. It is professionally tuned and it sounds great. The imaging is somewhat mediocre only because of the tweeter placement. If I get bored one day I'll relocate the front tweeters to the A-pillar and improve imaging a whole lot.

If I was to go into competition then obviously I'd change the tweeters to some really high end ones. But I'm not ready to drop $2,000 on a pair of tweeters yet.

My guess is this guy wanted new speakers.

Period.

Make and model helpful too.

Winning db contests or audible correctness shows?!?

No.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tbone96