Twin turbo Ferrari 512TR

v8huntr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
anyone heard about it? How much would you pay for one? it's making 1200hp and car has around 15k miles.

Jay Lopez

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a student show up at the track with that car about 2 years ago. I got to drive it. It's a handfull on the track. The turbo lag is pretty bad. And it has stock brakes. The footwell is very narrow, and I had to take off my shoes to drive it.

jcaspar1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Saw a TT Testarossa for sale on Ebay a while back. I think this might have been it. 1100 hp and does the quarter in 12.3 seconds! Sounds like they must have used the same turbos as in a Supra :cool:

Torquemonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1100hp and 12.3 secs - lol :D

There were huge claims made for TT Italian supercars by various tuners - but not many ran times that indicated actual power was even remotely close to the claims - as in this case.

Maybe the driver took a packed lunch and ate a sandwich between shifts. :cool:

In any event - while the latest offerings may be ok - those earlier engines were grenades... matter of fact even the later ones don't do too well at endurance events once they get hotted up. At a 24 hour event last year a racing 360 went thru not one but THREE engines before retiring after running out of them.

The 1200 and 1100hp comes from a dream someone had - or was maybe a peak number pulled at the crank a split second before an explosion would have occurred had it stayed up there. I'm being irreverent I know... :smirk:

BACKNBLACK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guys, those cars just look real pretty. I have two 360 Spyders in neighberhood..One of the guys who owns it is a real dck head. This pass May at a local hangout, he was playing the role..He was putting down my car, said vipers sck..Built crappy, rattles..Said he rather have a Vett..SO I stood there with my mouth opened since I had the car home..I said I'll be right back..Jump back, pull car out..I loved the crowds reaction when I pulled it..I heard, sht..There goes the batmobile..So I pull along side and say dude, my American sht box is here..Like to take the challenge to run me??? As always, an excuse that he doesn't wanna get car impounded for racing..So I called him togo to the Poconos a week later..The guy just backed out adn shut his mouth up..Now wheN I see him, he just turns his head away..A real cocky basterd......

Bill B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My neighbor has a 360, a very nice car. Back in Feb. he was talking s#$@ about how the viper was a "low grade car" so I offered to race he made excuses but them said that he would run my RX-7. Shoulda seen the look on the ol boys face as I pulled away from him. We don't talk much any more.

FranciscoR.

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bill....360 vs RX7? I imagine the 360 is quite a car, but the RX7 is by no means a slouch. Stock it only runs about 250hp, but if my brothers RX8 is any indication of how RX?s run, the RX7 has to be a tough [******].

allanlambo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One thing that you guys forgot to mention about the TT Testarossa is that in the 1/4 it ran in the 12's, but at over 140mph. I cant speak for the reliability of this particular car,but i can speak for the reliability of stock TR's, which seems to be pretty good for 80's exotica.

As for the 360, they definately are not competition for the Viper. To me the last great Ferraris were the F40 and the 512 TR.

Bill B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bill....360 vs RX7? I imagine the 360 is quite a car, but the RX7 is by no means a slouch. Stock it only runs about 250hp, but if my brothers RX8 is any indication of how RX?s run, the RX7 has to be a tough [******].
I have a hard time keeping the wheels from spinning.

Torquemonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One thing that you guys forgot to mention about the TT Testarossa is that in the 1/4 it ran in the 12's, but at over 140mph. I cant speak for the reliability of this particular car,but i can speak for the reliability of stock TR's, which seems to be pretty good for 80's exotica.

As for the 360, they definately are not competition for the Viper. To me the last great Ferraris were the F40 and the 512 TR.

140mph is a good trap speed - obviously a lot of wheelspin so it could have made a good dyno pull. The TR was reliable as a street car - but not good for a reliable 1100hp. Porsche over engineer, Ferrari were never known for being over strong when pushed beyond design limits.

The racing 360's are actually very fast - I've seen them deal to a Viper at the track - but they do not last. They are very competitive in sprints - useless at endurance events. The only reason they beat the Viper I saw was the 360 was much lighter and had better turn in speed plus brakes. Down the straights the Viper was right there and had the legs on the longer straights. The 360 was also a factory backed car, the Viper was a privateer. A full house comp coupe would have crushed the F360.

Miles B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nexus, that was what I first thought when I read the subject "Carmack!"... you guys know him? Reads like an interesting guy.. becomes successful and actually spends it on good stuff - hardass tuned Ferraris and now his own space company getting ready to launch! If I ever made it big.. that's the sorta stuff you gotta spend it on!

Torque, you can make pretty much anything reliable if you really mean it...

Miles B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yep Nexus, I read it often. Some of it is a bit scary.. like where they have a shot at the welding etc. I'm reading it thinking "that sounds like my welding and I wouldn't fly in a rocket I welded together"... So you know him?

Nexus-6

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Met him on a few occasions, but I don't know him personally.

There's talk of a track event later this year with some of us...we'd like to get him to take some time away from the comsos so he can come stretch the F50 out a bit.

If I can get Todd to read this thread maybe he can help me talk him into it. ;) <nudge nudge>

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Axial32