Unwritten rule - if you have a 3 piece wheel you want the hardware visible

Jersey Jeff

Enthusiast
Reaction score
whats the deal with this? I hear about how much work it is to keep the "hardware" clean on these wheels. Excessive break dust is not so easily removed from what I hear. So while researching wheels I considered wheels with hidden hardware (I like the 360 Forged model "split 7") but right away I am told that if your going to spend for premium 3 piece wheels you want the hardware visible so everybody knows you laid it out for the 3 piece and your not running with some "Pep Boys" look-a-likes. Is that the general consensus from readers and owners? Is it foolish to buy 3piece with hidden hardware? Do you have to use a toothbrush to keep them clean? I note some styles have less hardware (image attached), still visible but fewer fasteners, is that a loss of strength? Why Titanium hardware (at a premium price), is it just lighter?

Attachments

• s7side_85_detail.jpg
    s7side_85_detail.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 34

7-LITRE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
that's obviously just someones opinion. which i disagree with. i had the iforged daytonas a few years ago and if i had it my way the fasteners/rivets/hardware or whatever you call it would not be visible. i could care less what the consensus is. thats like saying if you own a viper you better wear the t-shirts, run a viper sticker on the windshield and a vanity plate that says viper on it, solely for the purpose of reminding everyone what car you have.

AbsolutHank

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I disagree with that logic too...with that said, I've got a set of 360 Forged Spec 5ives on order, and one of the things that appealed to me is the fact that there are only 10 exposed bolts, as opposed to 30ish like with most other 3 piece wheels.

Alot of wheels just look cleaner without rivets - especially the Forgelines I've looked at, for example.

Next Phase

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've never read that before.... I guess that is why it is an unwritten rule?

thank you... thank you... I'll be here all week, try the veal and don't forget to tip your waitress.

I like the exposed hardware personally.

OP
OP
Jersey Jeff

Jersey Jeff

Enthusiast
Reaction score
[ a vanity plate that says viper on it, solely for the purpose of reminding everyone what car you have.[/QUOTE]

crack me up - look at my avatar, I have a Viper plate. Let me explain, when driving I would constantly see in my rear view mirror people peering over their dashboards looking at the back of my car trying to figure out what kind of car it is. In southern NJ I have seen a Viper only 2 times while driving mine for 5 months, they are extremely rare around here. Thats what gave me the idea to get a Viper tag, it is just to let people know what kind of car they are admiring.

As for the wheels, I beleive I will end up getting what ever appeals to me, as I should, and not let my decision be influenced by opinion that I should get hardware so people will know it is a 3 peice wheel.

Reaction score
It's definitely a personal taste thing, but to say that they should be exposed so people know you spent big bucks? Do you know how many "fake" 3 piece wheels with rivets are out there? most people cannot begin to tell the difference so who cares? Just do what you like and be done with it.

BlackSnake99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I guess there are no cheap 'Pep Boys' rims that have fake fasteners?

I personally think that the fasteners make most rims look too busy. My preference. I still want 3 piece rims because I want the freedom to have colored centers with a brushed or polished lip. It's all just opinions.

This rim below is directly from the Pep Boys site btw. $75 per. Available in all standard Honda sizes.:D

Attachments

• zna_425_lg.jpg
    zna_425_lg.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 17

Chrissss

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just depends on what you like personally. I like them both depending on the wheel. You shouldn't make a purchase to try and prove to other people you spent a great deal of money.

7-LITRE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
[ a vanity plate that says viper on it, solely for the purpose of reminding everyone what car you have.

crack me up - look at my avatar, I have a Viper plate. Let me explain, when driving I would constantly see in my rear view mirror people peering over their dashboards looking at the back of my car trying to figure out what kind of car it is. In southern NJ I have seen a Viper only 2 times while driving mine for 5 months, they are extremely rare around here. Thats what gave me the idea to get a Viper tag, it is just to let people know what kind of car they are admiring.[/QUOTE]

LOl, i didn't even see that! I promise! my plates have been "PLANN B"(on totalled GTS) and "A D D"(current SRT).