Upgraded rear speakers in my GTS today

cirus

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am starting off kind of slow and just waned to add a little extra bass to the factory system. I replaced the back 2 6.5's with JL Audio 6.5 subs. Its a direct fit, the wholes match up perfectly. Since the stock amp is already ran to the speakers its truly just plug and play. If you want to add a little thump and keep your factory look this is the way to go. IMHO it added a lot and balanced out the highs. I still might add an additional box in the future, but the bass does sound a lot tighter and louder now. I would recommend this mod to anyone even if you are upgrading everything. The whole job took about 15 mins to do. JL Audio part # PB80402
See the pics at http://www.dodgeviper.org/system.htm

-RUNNR

Site programmer
Reaction score
One of our members has a sweet sounding system in his GTS.

The darn capacitor looked as big as a watermelon!

CF, speak up and tell us what you have there!!!

2tall

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I heard that you can't put 6.5" in the door without cutting because the stock grilles don't fit.

Can't I just drop in 6.5" with their own grill in the doors?

Also, did you put 6.5" *subs* or 6.5" Coaxial?

For those curious (and I've already de-luged some board members with questions) I'm looking at the following:

2 Eclipse 88100 10" in custom boxes in the little spaces to the left and right of the spare tire in the hatch

Either JL Audio XR650-CX or MB Quart RKC 116 in the rear (should I consider 6.5" subs or just go with Coaxials b/c of the 10"?)

Either JL Audio VR600-CS, XR525-CS, or XR650-CS OR MB Quart RSD 213 or RSD 216 in the doors (which is why I'm curious as to the above)

A DEI 600d amp for the subs (haven't decided on the amp for the interiors)

Kenwood KDC-X859 or MP919 for the head unit.

Opinions welcome! Hope to work something out Monday.

OP
OP
C

cirus

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In my 2000 GTSs the rear speakers are subs not highs. So all i had to do was drop the JL's in. I have not changed out the highs and tweeters for a component system for the from yet... because i really dont feel like i need to at this time. There are some 6 1/2s component systems that will fit in the front it all depends on the size of the magnet. Some 6 1/2 will not fit without modification.

The 6.5 JLs are subs not coaxial.. They were kind of hard to find since most people would probally go with the 8" subs... I ened up finding them at tweeter here in houston.