Upgraded Sway Bars for Gen II

RIch

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I am having a problem with excessive understeer on track days. It seems that increasing the stiffness of the rear sway bar or softening the front bar would alleviate some of the understeer effect. Has anyone had any luck with changes or adjustments or know of a matched pair of sway bars that will help?

Nadine UK GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, I fitted the Woodhouse front sway bar ends on my '97 with good results. There was no stiffer rear option for the Gen2's at the time.

OP
OP
R

RIch

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks Nadine. I am ordering the adjustable front bar from Woodhouse. I should have checked their Website before. None of the other Viper vendors or sway bar vendors offered a front or a rear bar for the Gen II.

LifeIsGood

Enthusiast
Reaction score
RIch...take a look at these...Rear Anti-Toe Bracket Set...

You must be registered for see images

These stiffen up the frame area that flexes under heavy braking. When this area flexes its changes the rear toe-in which can cause an unstable condition which is different each time you brake due to how hard you are braking, and road and or track conditions. It will not fix all of your problems but will help fix some of it.

Detlef

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have those anti toe brackets on mine and it does help with stability under heavy braking, but doesn't appear to improve understeer. With a stock front tire and suspension you will understeer. Talk to JonB at PartsRack. He had recommended wider front tires (305's) and a more aggressive track alignment to counter the understeer problem.

Hey you could always slow down more before turn-in ;)

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Some info on your current setup will aid in determining a solution.
-Tires. Brand and age, front and rear
-Alignment?
-suspension. Stock springs and shocks?

Also, When is she understeering? Under braking, acceleration, both

I assume you dont take the front sportshims out ?

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Forgetabout the toebrackets. They are to fix toe out under braking . which would cause the opposite of the situation u have.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A small, but inexpensive and easy thing is to put harder rear sway bar bushing on. A quicker responding rear bar may behave like a bigger bar depending on your driving style. Also, check all end links to see if any are loose. That could also be affecting your initial turn in.

Your shocks are adjustable for rebound. Making the rears more stiff or the fronts less stiff will also change the push.

Koni North America - ITT - Adjustment and it's the 8240 series.