Upgrades that will lower lap times in a big way. (ViperDays06)

Michael Hatch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For those of you who were in Sebring, I was the nut that had my car torn apart by the Archer team on Friday. Yes it was nuts to do it at the track and it was nuts to do so much in one day. roll bar, 6pts, corsa track, pads, tires and wheels and comp coupe pan installed all on the day before the event.
In the end there were some significant issues with the build but to his total credit, John Archer is a class act. Whatever still needs adjusting,John is taking care of me. Hats off to you John and to Tim and Jeff who did all the work.

I ran hoosiers for the first time. No suspension changes. The sticky tires, free flowing exhaust and Comp Coupe pads allowed me to drop my previous best time by 10 second to 2:32. 10 seconds/lap for me was huge and more important, I was in much more control of the car at 2:32. The hoosiers were awesome. Totally predictable with plenty of warning. Especially compared to the 2:42 runflat laps. By the way, I had about 15 heat cycles and 5000 miles on the runflats when I ran the 2:42. I strongly recommend against doing this.

Back straight top speed increased from 142 previously to 152 before braking with room to go (Hit the 4th gear shift light at about 150). I can only attribute this increase to the exhaust. Some folks said it was due to coming off 17 much faster but I dont think it was all just that. The car just winds up really strong above 5000rpm now. Still have stock intake setup. Met some fantastic new friends and had a wonderful time. Those of you who frequent this forum and haven't tracked your car, I can only say your missing out on the real fun.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You sound like you have a very quick package already.

Next upgrade should be the "nut behind the wheel". Get yourself some seat time with one of the Archers driving your car around the track for your next event. They will give you an idea of what you car can do. Once you experience this, your confidence and ability will go way up.

If not one of the Archers, have any of the hot shoes (Talk to Skip) spend some time with you in your car, both as driver and as passenger. This will take more time off than more bolt ons, and make you a better driver in the process.

OP
OP
M

Michael Hatch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wasn't considering and didn't do any HP increase mods except maybe the exhaust but that was done to reduce cabin heat a bit so maybe I can drive my car this summer. Florida is not a Viper Friendly place June-October with the top down. Oh, I really like the added sound too. The car is much faster stock than my ability to drive it near it's limits. I agree with you that seat time is the best way to improve and I'm having fun doing as many events as time allows. Paul, I know you can appreciate most of the mods done were safety related and were done with that sole purpose in mind. BTW, also agree that the best way to learn is with a good teacher in the passenger seat. Thanks for the advice..

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good to meet you Michael, thanks for coming out. I might be heading up to VIR with Lee Saunders in June. Interested? VIR is awesome!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960