Upgrading an SRT-10 and beating a very fast Ultima

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
TO buy an SRT/10 you have to hold a certificate from Dodge. Do you have one of these?? If not, you're not going to get one..

Gerald

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It would seem that money will not be an issue for you either
wink.gif
. You biggest problem may be coming up with a new name for the Viper...or whatever you wind up creating.

viperdoctor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, no matter what, your "partner" is going to win the Ugliest Car Award.

I think you would save a lot of money by attending couples counseling to learn not to be so competitive with your lover.

Neil - UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the Ultima factory is 20 mins from my house, they are rare over here but there are some highly tuned GTR's kicking out large hp, beat a viper yep, but a McLaren he's got to be joking and would take buckets of cash. They raced in the GT series over here for a couple of years and have had a hard time competing and are fairly unreliable

J DAWG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So Rob, what did you have in mind as far as a name goes?
Are you just interested in beating him in a straight line or did you plan on taking this to a road course as well.

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rob,

The Ultimas and Moslers both have the advantages of very light weight (2200lbs), and good aerodynamics. They are a bit closer to kit or race cars than the Vipers are, and therefore are spartan, but very fast.

The engines in the Ultimas are usually Chevy V8s, so your buddy could drop in a nice LS6 motor with 425HP and be competitive with the stock SRT-10 in performance, or he could throw in a Lingenfelter twin turbo 427ci V8 and be VERY hard to match.

The trick is even though he has quite an advantage in weight, the important part is putting the power to the ground, and providing balanced performance.
Also the outcome depends on if you are shooting for stoplight-to-stoplight racing, 1/4 mile runs, or full track competition.

Both cars are really built for track racing, and if you were shooting for just a 1/4 mile competition you could easily build an 8 second capable Mustang for what you will most likely spend on upgrading your future SRT-10, but of course the drag car would be functionally useless for anything else.

Along the same lines, you might want to look beyond the competition against you partner/friend to owning and driving the car later on. The Ultima may or may not end up being a faster car, but it is not going to be a car that you would feel comfortable taking to the corner store, or for a 400 mile trip, let alone commuting. Whereas a Levin modded Viper will have more power than you could likely imagine, or most likely use on the street (safely), but also be relatively comfortable and reliable for regular driving.

I think that with a big budget, Doug Levin will be able to make the SRT-10 as fast as it can be. The biggest trick will be your drivers training to learn how to utilize all of that power.
It's no slight on you, but even a stock Viper can be beaten by a Toyota Camry if he just sits and spins his tires forever.

Whatever you do, give us details on both of these dream cars because outside of automotive magazines, it rare to see "best of the best" car competitions, and it's a real treat for us car enthusiasts.

-Dean.

OP
OP
G

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TallRob:
Mr CitySnake

When you say that it will not be a Viper do you mean that once Mr. L is done with his work it will be something different...other than a Viper.

I don't understand the mean spirited comments. Seem short sighted and shallow. What is wrong with you guys?

Rob

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Sorry you took my comment and short and mean and spirited. It wasn't meant like that. Perhaps it's YOU that are taking the comments that way. Oh well..

I say mod the heck of the SRT-10 and enjoy!

Gerald

J DAWG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TallRob:
Man,

Thank you for all of your help.

Rob

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That was a quick edit. Sorry, we come across as a bunch of "mean spirited" group of guys as written by your initial post.

MichaelP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mr CitySnake

When you say that it will not be a Viper do you mean that once Mr. L is done with his work it will be something different...other than a Viper.

I don't understand the mean spirited comments. Seem short sighted and shallow. What is wrong with you guys?

Rob

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Rob I think you misunderstood the replies. I see no mean spirited comments. You come on this board and you say "Seem short sighted and shallow." AHhhhhhhh classic example of the *** calling the kettle black.

This from a guy with alot of money who wants to buy a fast car so he can win a race against another guy with a lot of money who is having a fast car made.

By the way anyone want to make bets if this race actually takes place even by 2004. ( Now see THIS comment IS mean spirited) NOW you actually have something to complain about.

VPRVENM97

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am hoping for any suggestions. In this case, the only rule is that the car be completely street legal.

Rob

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Rob, Welcome to the Jungle!
cool.gif

If you've talked to Mr L. then I think you've found your answer there. Hopefully by the time you get your 2004, Doug will have perfected his twin-turbo project. Maybe you'll have the first TT-SRT-10. Any which way you decide to go, you're gonna have a blast.

Good luck...and welcome to the board.

LTHL VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have seen both the Ultimas and Moslers....
There are 2 Moslers. They brought the all out race version to the Car and Driver Supercar challenge. I think the C&D staff had their money on that car winning it all. I don't think it performed as well as everyone expected. We lost to it by .3 sec overall(and we missed a shift), and they didn't even outbrake us by very much even though they had a 1400 lb weight advantage. Very eye catching car, no doubt about it, but also very rough around the edges (you need 3 tools and a second person to 'pop' the hood). Perhaps there 'street' version may be a little more user friendly.

The Ultima I saw was a much more refined car (but I never saw the Mosler street version either), even though it's a 'kit car'. Very high quality fiberglass molds, very well appointed interior with leather and carpeting. Very producton looking gauges. Good fit and finish. There is an authorized Ultima dealer nearby that delivers turnkey cars with the Z-06 engine. They are APPROVED by CA DMV and can be registered... Personally, I would take the car and do a 427 stroker Z-06 motor and have A LOT OF FUN!! (I was considering this not too long ago). If anyone is interested in a turnkey Ultima, I know of one that has just finished being built by the authorized installer with a full custom roll cage, race seats, rolling chasis (it can be registered by the CA DMV and all others too as a street legal car). Installer is waiting for a buyer before putting in the engine and tranny (depending on what the owner wants). If you want a hell of a price on one, e-mail me. I know they need to sell it. It's Ferarri yellow color.
-Wayne

LTHL VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One more thing...about your challenge....see if you can find out which engine option he is going with.

If $$$ is no object, maybe he'll decide on using a Z-06 engine with something like the LPE 800TT package. 800hp in a 2200lb car is going to take some serious mods to beat!

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for your two cents Wayne. It's great hearing from someone who was actually at the supercar testing. I have liked the Mosler and I was surprised (and actually pleased) that it wasn't dramatically faster, especially with the lighter, more costly Proton version in attendance.

Reading the article I actually thought about the Mosler compared to your Apex Viper. But that's because the performance numbers were so close in the test.

I'd guess that if you guys had used your modded gearset with the evenly spaced 5th and 6th gears combined with adding 3.45 gears, that you would have moved up a couple notches in the ranking, even though it would have been tougher to hook up at lower speeds.

I was also surprised that Lingenfelter didn't bring out their 427TT Corvette, but like the Lethal and Venom Vipers, traction would be a real issue having to use street tires.

Other than the two DNF vehicles, the most disappointing car was the Mallett, which also had 750HP and was a lighter car, but was a full second slower through the 1/4 mile than your Lethal Viper.

I've seen the Ultimas at local car shows, but the cost was around $75K for the rolling chassis (pre-drivetrain). They are cool, but it's hard to look past the inevitable kit car associations at those prices. Maybe that's why Saleen priced their S7 at $400K, because nobody would believe that it would be anything but a genuine street legal race car for the price of a Lamborghini Murcielago, and a Porsche Turbo, AND a M3 combined.

-Dean.

THEMASH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If the Ultima guy uses an LPE 427 TT, u can forget it, you wont catch that car. it traps at 151mph on a 3200lbs vette, now take off 1000lbs for the Ultima.
I have also seen an Ultima with a 1300hp small block chevy Twin Turbo. The owner says it should trap at 170mph.
good luck beating that car, you might want to get an Ultima instead, or hope your friend does not know or hear of LPE.

MichaelP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Again, thank you all for your thoughts...

It will be fun and I do really appreciate the comments. I also will report back in once I am really on the track (and to the guy who made it sound like it is just a rich guy buying a fast car, he should know that when I first saw a Viper I was living on the street and promised myself that if I ever had any money I was going to get one of those). So, it will be the culmination of a dream.

And, the race should be on a course, not in a straight line!

I will keep you informed. And, to the guy who wants to bet on whether or not this happens, I will take the bet but you will lose. 25K sound OK? The only caveat is that it might be early 2005 since I might not get the car till mid to late 2004... but I will make the bet. I will put up my title to my silver spur as security if you can and will do the same with a car or a house. It is a sucker bet for you .... but I like it. And yes, you are mean spirited and I will enjoy taking your money. I am completely serious and I await your reply.

Thanks again,

Rob

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey Rob(stroke) the air too thin up there for you to comprehend what you read. I see you say it will not take place until 2005 DUUUUHhhhhhh I said who wants to bet it wont even take place by 2004/ Looks like I won already. So where do I pick up your Silver Spurs or will you be personally driving it here.

And the bet oh yea I see you really thought that one out. You are going to put up your Silver spurs for an event which wont take place for 3 years. Ummmmmmmmm yea I see you got the brains in your family.
smile.gif

Sorry if we don't all jump up and down for ya Rob. You see every week there is another wannabee signing up for the board who tells us all about how they have always wanted a Viper and how they are going to get one.
bounce.gif
bounce.gif

THEMASH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dear TheMash
He knows... but it really doesn't matter that much who wins!

Thanks a lot.
Rob
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It does not matter who wins
confused.gif

Thats not what the subject says. "Topic: Upgrading an SRT-10 and beating a very fast Ultima"
Either way, good luck to you, if you opt for a DLM STR-10 TT or SC, your still going to have one of the fasters cars around.

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mr CitySnake
Rob
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Rob:
Sorry I was unable to reply since I was away with the family for the holiday weekend. It's nice to see, however, that others took some offense to your comment. For the record, not that anyone here keeps one (other that a record of trolls) I was poking fun at the unlimited cash mentioned in your "project" (that might lead to some unusual modified end-product SRT) and that you actually MADE IT KNOWN that you name your motorcars (most of us like to keep SOME things in the closet). There was NEVER any mean spirit! As a newbie, you might want to presume friendship and courtesy. Most of us here (at least while in the RT/GTS forum) act with civility and a true desire to be helpful (you will find some to be far more adept than others concerning the latter). It would serve you well.
Anyway, best of luck with your "project".

toddt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You say you want to race an ultima around a road course?

Why do you think 800 HP will win that race for you?

Your "partner" could put a volkswagen engine in his ultima and beat you if you don't know how to drive a road course.

Worse, you put 600, 800 HP in your SRT and start trying to compete with a 2200 lb car and you'll likely find yourself in the wall, not on the podium.

Road racing is ALL about corner speed, not top speed. If you can't maintain high corner speeds, you will lose, no matter what you do to the car. This takes something you can't just go out and buy--skill.

The guy in the Ultima has an automatic advantage. He will have higher cornering speeds with less skill.

Your torque can help you recover from mistakes, but if he puts just a reasonable engine in his Ultima, you will very likely trail by a few seconds per lap no matter what you do.

Good luck--if any of it's true...this is the internet after all, and you sound more like a kid than a grown-up. Sorry, but that's my take.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960