Valve Issue - New Info - ...and Great News!

bill gidden

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I AM WRONG........THERE IS SOMEONE WHO CARES.....THIS NICE LADY FROM VIPER HEADQUARTERS JUST CALLED ME AND HAD READ MY POST REGARDING A CERTAIN TECH THAT SUPPOSEDLY HAD DONE VALVE WORK, BUT IN REALITY HAD NOT.......AFTER LISTENING TO THEIR SIDE OF THAT APPARENT LIE, I AM CONVINCED THAT THE SERIES OF EVENTS AND LACK OF CORRECT INFORMATION GIVEN BY SOMEONE IN SERVICE DEPT AT THAT DEALER, CAUSED THIS PROBLEM......VIPER HEADQUARTERS DID NOT MISREPRESENT THE TRUTH. THEIR SUBSEQUENT CALL CAME QUICKLY AND WITH SINCERITY. THEY ARE TRYING TO HELP AND OFFERED TO FIND A TECH THAT HAD DONE THE VALVE WORK AND GET DC TO HAUL THE CAR WHEREVER NEEDED. MAYBE IT IS TRUE.....TOO MANY COOKS SPOIL THE VALVE JOB.

BILL GIDDEN :)

homesite

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can someone let me know if "850" is OK or is it one of the valve problem cars, thanks!!

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am somewhat reluctant to write this as I received excellent service and by all appearances I have successfully completed the intake valve replacement without a hitch. A final dyno test should be done in a week as final verification. BTW I was never offered a form to sign or a certificate for $300 of Mopar products.

What I feel is important is that all concerned were not forthright in this. When I contacted the VCA to identify and setup a dealer for the repair the number one requirement was that the Viper Tech be experienced regarding the SRT engine repair, and successfully completed at least one valve replacement (on an affected SRT). When I spoke with the VCA rep she asked what dealers I had experience with (none in 4 years). She then went over a list of "qualified" dealers. One of which I had heard positive accounts from other owners, but no personal experience of my own. I asked, very pointedly, if the technician had conducted the valve repair on other cars. She responded that she would have to check with them and verify if they have. She called me back after a little while and indicated that yes, they (the dealer in question) performed the repair on 2 other SRT's. Sounded great to me. A dealer with a good service reputation and specific experience for the repair. So I went ahead and set up an appointment for the repair.

When I arrived at the dealership, an hours drive from my house, the first thing the service manager said was that they were going to take their time, as this was going to be their first valve, or internal SRT engine, repair. My heart sank to the floor immediately. All the planning lost in one quick statement. From that point on I did my utmost to help ensure a successful repair. Backing out just did not seem to be the proper thing to do. The dealer is the one with the best reputation in the metro area, and I did not want to do anything that would disrupt any future service needs. As it ended up everything worked out and I am very satisfied with the dealers service. However, I am not very happy with how the VCA hoodwinked me into becoming the first repair. I was prepared to wait all summer if need be before getting the valves replaced if that was what it would take to get an experienced technician. Not that I thought that a Viper Tech could not do it right the first time. Being first was a just a risk that I did not want to take. Not on a brand new $83,000 car.

After the repair was done I called the VCA to let them know I had a successful repair and that now the delearship was experienced in doing the repair. Something that I was lead to believe, but was not true. The rep did not seem interested in the least to find out any details or that I believed that she had hoodwinked me.

The bottom line is do not take what the VCA rep says to be gospel. Verify all important details by an independent source.

OP
OP
Joseph Houss

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Ron, and all,

Thanks for the details, as all of this feedback, both negative, positive, and even the helpful suggestions, will help all to understand the communications issues that occur during this procedure.

Let's clarify a few things (especially in defense of the VCA):

Viper HQ (JR Thompson) is acting as a intermediary in this valve issue, as all agreed that they are closest to understanding the needs of our VCA members. They are not part of the DC corporate umbrella, so when asked a question regarding a dealership (other than whether they have an authorized tech), they must go through standard channels to answer your question. I am sure, in all cases, that they are answering you truthfully, and are reiterating whatever answer they were given over the phone.

Now, as far as them being a "VCA rep"... well, although JR Thompson does help the VCA with many tasks, in this particular case, they are actually acting as a liason between the VCA members (and non-VCA member/valve inflicted SRT owners) and Dodge, to hopefully allow for a smoother upgrade to the new valves.

stevez

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gotta tell you that this is one bad deal. I have owned fast cars for a long time. Bought my 1st Viper new in '93, then, all new, a '96, '99, '01 and the'03. Still have the '01 and the '03. The '93 and '96 stayed in the family.
The pox on the "valve problem" cars is at minimum of a $10k hit in value regardless of what work is done.
The only honest correction to the problem is to take the cars back to the factory for rework.
The attitude regarding this is one of arrogance and total disregard for what and who the Viper owners are.

fred

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rick: Do you live in the Laconia area? I am considering moving up there. Do you have an email address I can have? thanks, Fred

stevez

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As has been said," When in danger or in doubt run in circles scream and shout"
Having done that, I took my Viper to my friendly dealer and let the tech make mine his first. Jake did a great job, no rush no problem.
From the look of the new and old valve and the deposit on the pistons, I think there is more to the story than a missed cut. The real test will come from the "after" dyno. Won't tell you what the before dyno numbers are yet, but they were not pretty.

Daniel Cragin/DC Performance Inc

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Re: Valve Issue - New Info - ...We can Help!

If your vehicle applies to the intake valve recall and you wish a cylinder head upgrade
we are making a special offer to those who are interested. We have several packages available and would like to discuss this with anyone interested.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Can someone let me know if "850" is OK or is it one of the valve problem cars, thanks!!

If you post the last 8 I can help you, or call me. I dont have my sheet handy as I write this.......