Valve/lifter concern

slysnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I took my '05 Viper in for routine oil change today and the viper tech told me I might have a valve problem. He let me listen to the sound through a stethoscope type device. on the passanger side the sound was just a humming but on the driver's side there was a definate clicking.

I've searched the forum and found several posts related to this that seem to indicate that the lifters make this sound normally, but why would it only be heard on one side?

The tech suggested driving the card for a while with the new oil to see if the problem goes away on it's own. If not he recommended some serious work that will be quite expensive.

What are the chances this problem will solve it's self?

There is no noticable problem with the car and I would not have even noticed the clicking without the stethoscope thing.

Any thoughts, recommendations, or comments will be greatly appriciated.

Before I do anything I guess a second opinion from another Viper tech would be in order.

Last edited:

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Some of the clicking also comes from the fuel injectors. Are you losing any oil? Might be worth a quick check of the spark plugs if youre really concerned.

Good luck.

OP
OP
S

slysnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No oil loss.

I read the other threads about the injectors. But I only hear it on one side. Injectors would be both sides, right?

Reaction score
The sound could be louder from just one thing that is different on that side. You could have a spring that is weak, a rocker that is loose, or it could very well be just a difference in dimensions in the valve geometry from side to side causing a slight noise difference. Can only tell if you pull the valve covers and check them all out.

If you had a plug fouling you would more than likely see a check engine light for misfires and have some smoke. I would (if it is really that noticeable) pull the valve covers first.

DavidSB

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does the sound go away after the engine gets up to normal temps? If so, it may be a not-to-unusual small crack in the exhaust header where the gusset spans the tubes. If it does, try listening on cold startup.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
As I have seen time and time again, the Viper engines tend to have a pronounced valve closing noise due to their lifter "leakdown" property. The noise is actually the lash in the lifter being taken up while the valve is open, then that particular valve "taps" closed due to the lash being overcompensated by the lifter as the cam runs out of lobe to keep it open. These noises tend to "wander" around the engine- If you listen carefully, you will usually be able to hear certain lifters go from noisey to quiet as the tapping moves around the engine. Sometimes, one or two lifters may be noisier than the rest, with no adverse causes. There are tolerances in anufacturing of the lifters themselves- a looser lifter will be noisier.

There are many variables that make the tapping more or less pronounced, but I would suggest popping the valve cover off, and testing the affected rockers on that side and make sure none of them are collapsed. If everything looks OK, it is highly unlikely you have any type of an issue.

OP
OP
S

slysnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Those are comforting words. I'll get the tech to check that before we go too far.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
What Daniel said. The lifters used in these cars do vary as do the noises. I have two Vipers with hood vents in the center, comp coupe style. I never heard the lifters or valves nearly as much as I do now (and worried a bit at first) but after paying some $$$ to have them checked out, no real issues were found.

Good luck,

Dan

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang