Valve ticking or fuel injectors ?

kennyb65

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey everyone, have only put about 150 miles on my 2006 since the car got unloaded in Indy last month. My question is with the "ticking noise" that comes from the engine. The car was a one owner car with 2,700 miles on it. Before purchase, I had the Viper tech at Champion Doge Indy go over the car and give it a clean bill of health. I am just having a hard time with the fact that the engine "tick" is considered normal. :dunno:

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The injectors on these are pretty loud, and sometimes you can get one that's louder than the others. I've heard quite a few that ticked. You'll notice it most if you're in a high gear at low speeds and increase throttle a lot. As the pulse-width of the injector widens, you should hear it get a bit louder.

It's also possible to have a noisy lifter, or even a bent pushrod, but if the tech gave the car a clean bill of health (and you trust him/her) then I'd wager the noise is just the injector(s).

insurme

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey everyone, have only put about 150 miles on my 2006 since the car got unloaded in Indy last month. My question is with the "ticking noise" that comes from the engine. The car was a one owner car with 2,700 miles on it. Before purchase, I had the Viper tech at Champion Doge Indy go over the car and give it a clean bill of health. I am just having a hard time with the fact that the engine "tick" is considered normal. :dunno:
Kennyb, not sure if my '04 makes the same noise but I only hear it at idle and it does bother the hell of me. I don't like rattles or squeaks either. My Dodge dealer also said it's normal for these engines??? I just can't believe that....? My car has 8K on it now had 5k on it when I bought it and has been ticking ever since....

Reaction score
If you are worried take it to the dealer and have them open an repair order listing the concern. They will check it out and if it is fine then at least you have a record of the concern on file with them and Dodge.

It is true though that there are varying degrees or noise between cars, it may be totally normal, trouble is everyone has a different level of hearing and sensitivity to these things.

Bird325

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My '01 that I got last November had a 'tick' also. It bothered me, so I took it to my local Viper tech to make sure it wasn't a problem. It was a combination of an injector making noise and a lifter that was slightly noisy. He said I could fix it, but it was going to cost too much money to do the machining work for what it was worth.

I didn't fix it and I hardley even notice it now.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Is the car still covered unde r original warranty? Extended warranty?
Your dime?

Have you tried to track the noise with an automotive stethoscope?

I will admit that when I fire up the 03, I am very impressed with the injector noise (also on 01 & 08).

Not that hard to get a second opinion in Indy...just ask.

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I only hear ticking when I stand outside and open the hood with the engine running at idle. Driving it around, I never hear it tick. Mine is an 06' Coupe and has done that since brand new.

It is different, I know, but I think a lot of these newer engines do that for some reason. You should hear the ticking on my 06' Porsche Cayenne Turbo S. I sounds like a sewing machine under there. When it really warms up, it is definitely muted however. Same goes for the Viper, when hot.

If you are not noticing any difference in power, smoothness or driveability, than I would say that is what it is. For piece of mind, I would have them check it out. Dodge checked mine at around 500 miles and gave her a clean bill of health too. Just the way it is, I guess. I have over 400 miles on it now and it still does it, but has never given me any grief.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
While I have not had the opportunity to speak with kennyb65, I believe he "has a plan". Hopefully, all will be OK.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang