VCA Edition Ram SRT-10 on ebay

DFiorelli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow - $58,000 with 6 days left.

There seems to be a wide variety of views about the scruples of those who bought with the full intention of selling immediately. It seems to me there are a lot of gray areas, e.g. is there any difference in selling only to a VCA member as opposed to a non-VCA member? I am less offended by a sale to a VCA member out of respect for Dodge's intentions.

How about the level of market price? If someone bought intending to hold and the market price goes berserk, can he/she change their mind and sell? In this case, I'm reminded about the old joke about the woman who agreed to sleep with a man for $1,000,000. When he asked her to lower the price to $20 she said "what do you think I am - a *****?" He responded "we've already established that fact - now we are negotiating price". On the other hand life's realities may mean the level of windfall truly changes a winners view.

Thoughts?

Wayne Finch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Even though I bought a raffle car right after a draw and before delivery, I have to say I do not like it when winners sell. The VCA doesn't do these specials to line people's wallets.

I would be fully in favor of any future drawings having a two year hold period being a condition of buying the ticket.

BTW - my VCA Ram is NOT for sale

vipah

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Its a free market. The owner of the car should have the right to do whatever they want with it.

Keep in mind they didn't win the truck and get it for free, they had to buy it.

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So Wayne won a VCA Viper AND one of the 49 options on the VCA Ram? Dang it, remind me to see if I can rent a room in his house for the next drawing. My luck isn't so good... ;)

Chris

PS. And kudos to Wayne for holding on to BOTH of those beauties!

AndyR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Actually Wayne bought a VCA Viper from the winner and bought a VCA RAM with his option.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm thinking that one of the best ways to slow down these quick sales for a profit would be to announce/post the names of the winners. That way we would know if one of our comrades were in effect screwing us to make a buck

Anyone actively trying to find a buyer, or worse yet, someone who only put their name into the hat for a profit opportunity are what I call profiteers and should be shot. Okay maybe not that bad but at least prevented from enjoying any future opportunity.

This is only 49 trucks. A little legwork and anyone could find out who registered the vehicles. I vote that the VCA check and disallow any profiteering individual from future opportunities.

This is much different than the Gen III purchase as from drawing to delivery was only a matter of weeks rather than the year plus for the Gen III. I can understand how the financial picture could change in a year or more, but in the time span for the truck purchase a significant financial change is much less probable.

My $0.02

vipah

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Its called capitalism and it is what this country was founded on.

No one is screwing anyone. They bought it and can do what they want with it.

Buy low and sell high is fair and square. Doesn't matter if it is stocks, real estate, or cars.

viper585

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Its called capitalism and it is what this country was founded on.

No one is screwing anyone. They bought it and can do what they want with it.

Buy low and sell high is fair and square. Doesn't matter if it is stocks, real estate, or cars.

Absolutely!!No problem with that at all.Thats the good old U.S.A.Oh,and Im high bidder.Only in America.Got to love it!!!

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I guess you could call it capitalism. But maybe their GREED will prevent future Viper owner opportunities for the rest of us. It is one thing for Dodge to reward loyal owners with special opportunities. It is quite another for the "buyers" to be no more than brokers for profit. The dealers can see through this and WILL put a stop to it eventually. So if pure capitalism is what you want then let's have them offered through dealers with no special VCA benefits. Then we know who will be capitalistic. But we will be the losers.

viper585

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I would love to see a tally of how many 03 srt owners turned their cars for a quick buck.So what.The reason they got the opportunity to buy was because they had already made the sacrifice and stepped up to the plate.Thats the reward.The opportunity to purchase.What you choose to do with your purchase is a personal decision.Sell,or keep,its up to the guy who shelled out the bucks.I really dont understand what problem anyone would have with this.But,as usual,its JMHO.

And sometimes,personal circumstances dictate what we do.

proracer1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just to set the record straight. I went to my dealer 5 months ago to order a truck. When I found out I had won the opportunity to PURCHASE a VCA truck I was in heaven. People who know me will tell you that I am a very straight forward honest person. THE ONLY REASON I HAVE THE TRUCK FOR SALE IS I HAD JUST RECEIVED SOME TERRIBLE NEWS ABOUT A VERY CLOSE FRIENDS MOTHER WHO HAD BEEN DIAGNOSED WITH A LIFE THREATENING ILLNESS. The family needs help paying for the surgery.
I have offered the proceeds of the sale of this truck to help pay for this procedure. I have taken enough heat on this subject and I would really appreciate some support in my decision to help these people. I see we always come to the support of our fellow Viper brothers in time of need. So LAY OFF.

OP
OP
D

DFiorelli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Viper_SRT wrote: "I'm thinking that one of the best ways to slow down these quick sales for a profit would be to announce/post the names of the winners. That way we would know if one of our comrades were in effect screwing us to make a buck."

I'm not sure that would help - after all the car on ebay appears to be listed by Jeff Morton of Michigan and he left a couple of very obvious clues that he could have covered up if he wanted to hide his identity from us. Giving out the number of his truck (#26 of 50) of course gave him away to Dodge and the VCA.

Additionally it seems Wayne bought his Blue/Silver from the winner of a drawing for one car which I presume had a published winner.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jeff, I was not even aware you were one of the sellers. So I was not laying into you personally. Sorry if you took it that way.

However, I still believe that the people that flip these opportunities for profit will ultimately ruin it for the rest of us. In the end the hows and whys will be unimportant. Only that the dealer body is being bypassed in sales for profit (and due to vehicle registration requirements they can trace each and every vehicle - advertised or not!). So a few profit along the way. If a coupe is made in the future (a big IF) how many of us want a similar opportunity as we had with the SRT and GTS initial offerings? I expect many of us do. The few people that flip their vehicle may end that opportunity for all of us. Clearly not a win-win.

vipah

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would look at it this way:

Its great to have a fellow viper owner profit rather than a non interested dealer (who profited from the sale anyway in this instance). Why should this ruin anything? I think allowing the viper owners the opportunity is great, and then let them do what they wish for being a viper owner.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Back in 1992, the first year of the RT/10, selling prices were often double the MSRP. That year we were all at the mercy of the dealerships and market prices. Since then, each new version of the Viper (and Ram SRT) have had a special owners purchase plan. For most that meant getting their GTS, SRT or Ram SRT at near invoice in the initial production year. If we lose the privilege because of dealer unrest due to profiteers, then we will be battling the public at large for the next new offering (coupe ???). Anyone want to pay market price for one when the time comes? That is what will be ruined. Not today, but in the future. How many other car companies are you aware of that offer such a deal? To my knowledge it has been offered just these 3 times to Viper owners. It would be such a waste to lose this owners benefit because of a few. Remember, this is not a right. DC has no obligation to provide such an opportunity. It is for good will. When it becomes more pain then gain it will be hisstory (misspelling intentional).

vipah

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You argument is illogical.

The good will is there. The club members and loyal customers get the opportunity to buy (and do with what they want) a unique vehicle for being a high paying customer. I don't see any dealers getting their ******* in a bunch, do you?

Doc.

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Proracer1,
There is not even a trace of wrongdoing on your part with selling your VCA edition Ram. You bought with the full intentions of keeping the truck and you now need to sell for a very good reason. I don't think anyone can fault you for your decision. In fact, I think you would be a **** if you did NOT sell a toy to help meet a true medical need. I commend you on your decision. As for the people who entered the lottery knowing that they were not going to keep their truck,their actions are not so noble. The reason that I don't agree with the free market argument is that we were told not to do this up front. It was made clear that this was a special truck being made for VCA members and that it was not suppose to be sold just so someone could make a profit. I agree that we may loose these great offerings in the future if this is going to be the way we conduct business. Dave, I don't think the amount of potential profit makes any difference on right and wrong. I bet there are many people on this board who have turned down huge profits in business simply because they would have to do something that was against there principles. If we would not have been warned about this from the get-go then I might have a different opinion. But, we were told not to buy these trucks for profit. JMHO

Doc

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There were about 400 entries by VCA members......wouldn't it have been nice if they had made 400 blue/wht trucks for each VCA member that wanted one (to keep or sale)

Thanks to Proracer1 for allowing me to accept his truck for him and drive it around Daytona speedway.....even if I did run the gas almost out :laugh: They were bringing 1 gallon of gas to some of the trucks while we were sitting on the track so they wouldn't run out on the pace laps :)

Saleen-Explorer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
DOC.... Thanks for your understanding I wish everyone else would just relax.
I can't believe people have given you crap over this, I don't see a problem with it at all. People do this all the time.....free market.....Good luck to your friend.

proracer1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Saleen and Tony....Getting close to the reserve. The money will hopefully save a life. VIPERS do it again. That is the reason I had to bail on Daytona Tony. Glad you had a good time. Waitin for a call from your skippy guy.

kickinasp

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This group happy???? Get real. There is always someone that will b*%$h...

BadVenm

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Proracer1,

It doesn't matter why you are selling. It's your right. Period, nothing else needs to be said except....This IS America! Love it or leave it. :usa:

Anyone who can buy a car and sell it for a profit is one lucky dude!

Now..... Reading the reason that you are selling it only shows what kind of great person you must be! People would be lucky to be able to call you a friend!

Blessings to you and those close to you.

jrkermode

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This isn't about America and apple pie, it's about the VCA. The VCA sets up the special vehicle programs. The VCA makes the rules. The VCA determines your "rights". And, the VCA makes it quite clear that profiteering is bad for the club. Therefore, selling a raffle car for personal gain may get you bounced from the club:

"The National Board, upon its own initiative or upon the resolution of the current legal governing body of any Zone, may bring expulsion charges against any member for conduct detrimental to the welfare of the Club"

ON THE OTHER HAND, sell the vehicle for charitable purposes, as this case seems to be, and you're golden.

"Preamble: The purpose of the club shall be...To actively pursue ways to participate in charitable events including car shows and via monetary donations from the club treasury..."

Proracer, I believe you are clean and green.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rmoore8950