VEC2 to VEC3 upgrade

D

DAMN YANKEE

This question has come up a number of times, with no resulting answer. Last time I spoke with Sean I asked him about the difference between VEC2 and VEC3 and I'll give a shot at providing some insight.

VEC3 is a hardware upgrade. It is the next generation of electronic components and hardware chasis. The "internals" have been updated to the newest most stable components available. As to whether or not one sends in their current (earlier) VECs for upgrade or exchange, I do not know. That can be asked here.

Address: Roe Racing
1768 Wildwood Road
Green Cove Springs, FL 32043
Phone: 1-866-ASK-SEAN (1-866-275-7326)
904) 529-1219
Fax: (904) 529-1215
Email Addresses: [email protected]

Simultaneously, there is a new software (Firmware) update as well. Firmware release 5.108 is now available for earlier VECs as well. Some of the new features included in the logging are filtering and horsepower / torque calculations. Those with VECs and the corresponding software can update their versions by going here. It replaces versions 5.65 to 5.79. Version 5.108 is still dataset 106 and is compatible with all S106 programs.

http://www.roeracing.com/support/index.asp

The PDF file for update instructions is here.

http://www.roeracing.com/support/Firmware_update_instructions.pdf

Hope this helps.

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dan,

Are you saying that sending a VEC2 in for the 'VEC3 upgrade' does not get a VEC3 per se, but does get the same capability as a VEC3 by upgrading to the same software package?

Steve

D

DAMN YANKEE

Steve,

No, not at all. I'm just able to say that, from my understanding, the VEC3 represents all new hardware AND that there is a Firmware update available for all VECs as well.

I believe that when one requests a VEC3 upgrade that they end up with a VEC3.
I just don't know the mechanics as to whether they are turning in their earlier VECs OR the earlier VEC are physically updated (components) OR they get a discounted brand new VEC, etc., etc.

As soon as somebody finds out (I got a VEC3 with my ROE S/C Kit, that is why I don't know) please post it. I would like to know as well.

OP
OP
V

ViperBing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I talked to Dave at Roe Racing. He said that there really is no point in upgrading to a VEC3 on a GEN II due to limitations of the factory computer. The major benefit of the VEC3 is that it allows the VEC3 to adjust A/F based on IAT (inlet air temp), which doesn't work on a GEN II car. It does work on a GEN III car though.

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I talked to Dave at Roe Racing. He said that there really is no point in upgrading to a VEC3 on a GEN II due to limitations of the factory computer. The major benefit of the VEC3 is that it allows the VEC3 to adjust A/F based on IAT (inlet air temp), which doesn't work on a GEN II car. It does work on a GEN III car though.

That is not the impression I have from Sean. Somewhere there is a miscommunication. From e-mails and a phone call, I am under the impression that the IAT can be adjusted on a GEN II. In addition, while it would be a relative measurement....HP/TQ numbers can also be gotten and used to see how your tuning is going

Steve

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang