Very Important-Virus ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keller

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have been recieving large amounts (3-5 per day) of emails containing viruses. Some of these came from addresses of people on this board such as mbrunton2 etc.. Are others recieving these and if so why. It seems that I'm recieving these from people that I have never actually contacted via email but that are on this board. I just want it to stop and am wondering if others are having this problem.
Thanks
Josh

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A thread pertaining to this pops up every few weeks. It's probably a good thing that it does just to remind everyone that it's out there.

Many of us recieve the same infected emails.

Do you have anti virus software? If you don't and you opened the emails, you most likely have the virus and are one of the culprits.

OP
OP
K

Keller

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I do have Norton's and have not opened any of these. Could this be Server based? Could the hosting server of this site have a Virus?

Dixter

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That would be my guess, its easy to block the virus if you
set up everything correctly...

I never get these at work... but I do see them at home.

I use norton to take care of the ones that show up. and it seems
that I don't get them until I post something to the VCA board.

red98GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have been receiving these for some time now. Some of the names of people on this board are being used in the subject line to fool you into opening these. Don't. There's more on this in the OFF TOPIC section, I think.

OP
OP
K

Keller

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yep I recieved the same one yesterday. The trickiest ones are those that look like bounced emailed. The postmaster non deliverable ones.

RobHook

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The problem here is that the new viruses (Klez and Nimda in particular) "spoof" their from addresses. That is, the address that your e-mail software says the e-mail is from is not really where it came from. It gets the e-mail addresses to use for that spoofing by looking through .htm and .html (web) files on your hard drive. That's what makes it look like you're getting a virus from someone on the board. In truth, it just harvested their e-mail address becuase it's listed in the board's web pages in your system's cache.

You can usually tell where the e-mail really came from by looking at the hidden headers. In Outlook Express for example, look at the properties of the e-mail and then click the details tab. Look for the return-path header for the actual originator.

--Rob Hook
P.S. If you're having virus problems at work you should seriously consider looking at www.emailgatekeeper.com. It's a new anti-virus solution that stops ALL viruses, whether they're old or new with no need for constant updating.

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Intelman34:
Just this morning I got 5 or 6 emails from an Elisa Fiorillo. All of them contained a virus. Is that person on this board?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>That's from the **** site you go to
laugh.gif

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MarkusReinhardt:
Don´t use outlook!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Which is why I use a hotmail account for my net activity, no concerns on downloading viruses, just delete the suspect emails.

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ab:
Chuck, I got a few from you.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Those weren't computer viruses
laugh.gif

Lockdown

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Also remember if you get virus's from other board members I bet those members were infected and their address list got sent infected emails (how a lot of virus's work) so check that out.

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I receive several klez virus emails each day, like this...
---------------------------------------

Status
Not open for further replies.