Vette/Viper Challenge at Mid Ohio

Mansier

Enthusiast
Reaction score
NASA OH/IN will be holding round 1 of the Midwest Vette/Viper Challenge April 4-6. So far two Vipers and two Corvettes are signed up, with many showing interest to go. We invite all Vettes and Vipers out to race! Registration, and VVC rules at www.nasaproracing.com, and OH/IN information at www.racenasa.com

OP
OP
M

Mansier

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just spoke with the Panoz Factory. They will be bringing a number of Panoz GTS cars to challenge the Vipers and Vettes for top honors. We are going to add them as an exhibition add on to the VVC class. It may not be Vette/Viper/Panoz Challenge, but who is going to be top dog!

The Panoz will run as is from the factory. So a bit down on HP, but with slicks, and a bit under 3000lbs. Probably about 9:1 or so Wt:HP.

OP
OP
M

Mansier

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Corvettes are starting to line up. Frank Barba is in. Who else? With about 6 Panoz GTS cars, and the few Vettes and Vipers lined up, this is turning into a fun race. BTW: Wiston West Champ Eric Norris will be driving one of the Panoz Cars (yes, son of Chuck Norris).

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
now lawrence don't let those panoz guys fool you. They have had an upgraded package out for over 1 year now. If A Panoz has had the 3 upgrades it will be completley different than that of older days. Heads, Headers, & internals, along with a new brake package. are all included in the update. I heard that the panoz are on the verge of being faster than T-1 Vipers?

OP
OP
M

Mansier

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Frank:

I should have made this clear: They are not coming to race as a part of the VVC, just to challenge the series to a duel! It is an exhibition on their part, with more cars to race against for all. See you at the track.

LM

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
lawrence,
I have no problem including them weather is is exhibition or competition. Once we are on the Grid it really doesn't matter, The competition is still there and i welcome it. The panoz have come a long way this is all i was stating. The Panoz i drove 3 years ago is not the same Panoz GTS today. I am excited about this new series as i am sure others are also. see you in april.

SSpeed Racer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
NASA OH/IN will be holding round 1 of the Midwest Vette/Viper Challenge April 4-6. So far two Vipers and two Corvettes are signed up, with many showing interest to go. We invite all Vettes and Vipers out to race! Registration, and VVC rules at www.nasaproracing.com, and OH/IN information at www.racenasa.com

Mansier, I have been following your treads about the Viper\Vette Challenge. I am on the West(left coast) And I have not seen any events through NASA for the VETTE\ Viper challenge.

What safety equipment do you have to have? I have right now a fire Suppression system,a 4 point roll bar, suit and all the fix'ns.

Now I have seen NASA run before and everyone is telling me that you need a FULL ROLL CAGE. In NASA like SCCA they do a lot of rubbing on each other. Now I am not willing to do this with my car ans I dont believe the Vette guys are either have they made rules for this action?

My car is stock except for the stoptech brakes. I would love to run in a race class like this but unsure of all the safety requirments. i have run in 5 wheel to wheel races in the last 6 months and have not needed a full roll cage. I have no window net but use arm restaints.

Any help or who could I talk to here on the west coast.

Thanks in advance

OP
OP
M

Mansier

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank you for the interest! Yes, you would need a full roll cage. As a general rule, NASA frowns on wheel to wheel contact. Racers can be subject to suspension, probation, or expulsion for this type of driving. We are looking for good close, clean racing.

The class is currently being run in the Southern California Region, and I think the NorCal region will be starting up soon. Get in touch with me if you have any other questions at [email protected] . I know it's about 35 hours away, but we'd love to have you at Mid Ohio!

LM